Room/Color schemes - Wall-Ceiling-Floor

Soapz

So, I'm usually kinda stumped when it comes to color/room schemes. It feels like I never find the wallpaper I want - if I get to the point where I can decide on a wallpaper. Or a color. Or anything at all. If I had a magic wand, I would definitely go for the "Insta-Interior-Decorator" spell....

Maybe others have that problem as well? Or, those that don't, want to share insight? I have tons of printable wallpaper - maybe that's just too much? Or I can't find the middle ground between vintage or modern? Or which combinations with what kind of paneling? For houses that I donate I don't have furniture, so they should be more neutral? Anyone who uses an idea book? Anything?

Does anyone want to share their (in their opinion) most successful combinations? 

This is the style of house I'm talking about... I need a kitchen, living room, bedroom, bathroom, two attic rooms. and a hallway (or two...)..

large.IMG_0397.JPG.3fe2ebd6db87a8201f72c

I totally feel this way!!! I like specific wallpapers, but they don't necessarily fit together. 

I want an insta-coordinator/suggesto-App...something I can plug in a sample or color to, and have wallpaper and paint coordination generated.

There has to be something. 

Ditto to the interior design delemia. Too much of my time and money go to stuff I don't use because it doesn't work with what I have in mind. Now I just copy real life designs that I really like. An ad from a realtor is what I'm copying for my kitchen. The wall color and fireplace have been copied from the First Family's home once they leave the White House.  I just don't have the design gene so I copy from RL designers.

I get inspiration from all sort of sources (like Architectural Digest & RL historical houses) and then let the house suggest things.  I don't get specific and it works out because it's what the house wants.

Yes...I find copying a scene/decor from a photo works best for me. I do not have the design gene either...

Another issue I have is what I like doesn't always match up - I like a colonial dining room, and a french kitchen and a toile bedroom and a victorian sitting room. It all looks too busy or mismatched together. Like some gauche time traveler's home. Oh well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elsbeth said:

Yes...I find copying a scene/decor from a photo works best for me. I do not have the design gene either...

Another issue I have is what I like doesn't always match up - I like a colonial dining room, and a french kitchen and a toile bedroom and a victorian sitting room. It all looks too busy or mismatched together. Like some gauche time traveler's home. Oh well.

Sort of like I did with the Washington farmhouse:

farmhoue back (2).JPG

Pinterest can be your best friend. I search for the decor (steampunk, whimsical, shabby chic ) or color scheme I am going for and pin what I like. At first I thought the whole house needed to have a matching theme, but there are so many different ideas that I loved so I threw that idea right out the window. Do what you love and your creativity will flow out of you :). 

I take a cue from any upholstered furniture that will be in the room. What will work well with it, considering color and time period? Other than that, I suggest picking a wallpaper you like and then using paint colors to complement it. If you'll be papering more than one room, maybe select a palette of wallpapers that work well together and then assign each pattern to a room, rather than deciding on one room and then having to try  to find patterns that go well with it for the other rooms.

• Like 1

I use a LOT of scrapbook paper for wallpaper.  I buy what I like when it's on sale (thus saving $$$), then set it out on the work bench to pick my rooms.  Lately it's been more modern than Victorian in design.  In my beach house I made my paper printed on glossy photo paper.  I also do that with floors.  AND yes Pinterest is MY friend.  LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

I use a LOT of scrapbook paper for wallpaper.  I buy what I like when it's on sale (thus saving $$$), then set it out on the work bench to pick my rooms.  Lately it's been more modern than Victorian in design.  In my beach house I made my paper printed on glossy photo paper.  I also do that with floors.  AND yes Pinterest is MY friend.  LOL

I love scrapbook paper too! I just checked out Joann's and they have a lot of 6x6 pads for $2.74. 32 sheets. It's such a deal for half-scalers. I saw some nice 12x12 for $4.00. Great patterns for so much less than dollhouse paper. And now that I use Yes!Paste, I no longer fear wallpapering.

• Like 1

I use scrapbook paper, too, because it usually looks cheerful and I have had good luck with matching it to other patterns/colors in a house. I guess I end up going for what I would call "suggestive" for a time period - that way, I do not have to worry about being too historically accurate.

I will definitely have to make a trip to Joann's! 

I also like how Scrapbook paper sometimes has some "weathering" to it...makes it look a bit old and I especially like when it has the dingy dark corner edges...really makes my house look used. Love it.

Yeah - Joann's is having some sort of 50% off on some papers. I got a folk art paper that I think is adorable for $4.99:http://www.joann.com/papermania-folk-floral-12x12-double-sided-paper-pack/14966428.html

And then I picked up some 6x6 for my smaller scale projects for $2.74 apiece. Totally worth it.

http://www.joann.com/papermania-paper-pack-6inx6in-32%2Fpkg-wild-rose/14102446.html

2 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

I also like how Scrapbook paper sometimes has some "weathering" to it...makes it look a bit old and I especially like when it has the dingy dark corner edges...really makes my house look used. Love it.

Yeah - Joann's is having some sort of 50% off on some papers. I got a folk art paper that I think is adorable for $4.99:http://www.joann.com/papermania-folk-floral-12x12-double-sided-paper-pack/14966428.html

And then I picked up some 6x6 for my smaller scale projects for $2.74 apiece. Totally worth it.

http://www.joann.com/papermania-paper-pack-6inx6in-32%2Fpkg-wild-rose/14102446.html

In my case, the papers I fall in love with seem to always have the "tea stained" aged edges on them and I end up having to cut it off. 

It often just takes time in my experience. Newport was Victorian and I leaned on Brodnax collection for my inspiration and coordination, was very happy with the results. Bed and breakfast Seaside Villa was modern day, and found I really liked Itsy Bitsy Minis paper. Soooo much to choose from made it challenging. At that time I had a source for pre-made window treatments, so I chose in conjunction with those. Some rooms were harder, some easier due to some furniture upholstery selections.u 

Sometimes it's a picture or other mini scene I've loved that drives one room.  You can see I'm all over the map on the reason!!!