What color?

blue_moon992

I can't decide between light or dark shingles for this house.......will it look better if I use the same stain that I used for the hardwood floors or should I go with a lighter stain for the shingles?

This is just not a day for me to make decisions lol

post-700-1161438097_thumb.jpg

First of all, that's a beautifull house! especially the hatches.

I would choose dark grey singles :banana:

Thanks for your compliments!!

Dark grey......that is a WONDERFUL idea.......will be way cool since my chimneys are a dark grey......

Hadn't even thought about grey!!

Ohhh I'm excited now lol

thank you!!!! :D ;) ;)

Amy, I love the house.

As for the color of the shingles...that is a hard one. It is hard cause it is what your personal taste is. I myself would go with a darker color shingle to compliment the light yellow house. But that is me.

Maybe the suggestions you get will point you in the right direction..that is a sit and stew moment for me. I would sit, stare, and stew over the color until the right decision popped into my head. Staining is forever.

Staining is forever.

Thanks!!!

I like that, staining is forever lol.

I just want it to be a real eye catcher and whatever flows best.

Now, as I tinker with the furniature peices I've made for the boys room in the attic I'm thinking "dang, this house is cute, I don't want to get rid of it"

Think I am going to have a problem like that with every house I do though :banana:

I agree with the rest, darker shingles would set it off nicely. Lol my next house has to have a pink roof!!!! We walked past Early Learning Centre yesterday and Miranda's eyes lit up at the dollshouse in the window ............. it's yellow with pink window frames and roof ............ 80 pounds ( about $140) "This is the house I want for Christmas" gulp ... Miranda is 5 and Jessamine 4 and the idea of dollshouses for Christmas was due to severe financial cramp, so that I could use kits I already have, share some of my furniture stash etc. I took a deep breath before asking " do you mean that is the colours you would like?", huge grin "yes!" phew ........... don't think I could have coped with a disappointed pair of little girls on Christmas morning because they had the "wrong" house. I should have known better really ...they are fairly easy to please and unbratlike ..most of the time.

Ellen :-)

I can't decide between light or dark shingles for this house.......will it look better if I use the same stain that I used for the hardwood floors or should I go with a lighter stain for the shingles?

This is just not a day for me to make decisions lol

post-700-1161438097_thumb.jpg

If it was me I would go with the lighter shingles......the house is beautiful.....I'm just now doing my first dollhouse ever and having a great time doing it

Thanks for the compliments and opinions everyone! It really does help! My poor roomate gets tired of hearing about my mini delemas I'm sure :lol:

I was going to go with grey, but then kept thinking about dark stain.

Then, I realized I still have over half a can of dark stain left so that made my decision :lol:

But, then again, a trip to the craft store is always in order... :devil:

:thanks: :D

LOVE that yellow color. I agree dark is the way to go with the yellow. I am doing an Arthur now and am painting it yellow with a brick front porch. As far as the shutter definately going with a dark color. Was even thinking black or Navy Blue. I really like that charcoal or dark grey idea.

You stain a scrap shingle the light color and another one the dark color and then you hold them against the yellow to see which one YOU like. You can also go with the lighter color, and if it doesn't "do it" for you, go over it with the darker stain.