Just thought I'd say hello

Bectile

Well I've been lurking on here several weeks and I thought I'd actually post!

I am working on my first dollhouse, although it doesn't seem like it. Let me explain. I have always wanted to build an ornate dollhouse, and wire it and decorate it so that it would be perfect. I think it began at a craft expo I went to in my late teens where they had a row of dollhouses on display, and they were so beautiful! But I think what has really inspired me is that Fairy Castle on display in Chicago, my Dad took me there a few years ago.

http://www.msichicago.org/exhibit/fairy_castle/fchome.html

So I decided to start smallish, so I purchased "The Heritage". But I am terrible at starting new projects when they are so involved, so it sat in the box for years. During this time, I had been getting the catalog for miniatures.com (Hobby Builders Supply) and kept looking at the Garfield. I was basically obsessing over the Garfield, and I decided that if I was going to make a go at dollhouse building I should go ALL OUT! So I sold my Heritage and bought the Garfield. Four years ago!

I built the base and there it sat. I knew it was so much work! And punching out all those pieces is so tedious, and I have a zillion other easier projects I am working on for home and work. So it sat until two weeks ago when I actually had some time off work. And I punched out ALL the pieces and sealed and sanded them (except for some trim pieces) over the course of three days, and boy did my back hurt from sitting on the ground outside for hours!

Now I am just finishing installing the third floor. I am taking my time and studying the directions thoroughly! It's so much fun, like an elaborate 3-D jigsaw puzzle! I read about the debate on glues so I am using both Aileens Tacky Glue and Elmer's Wood Glue, depending on the joint and position. Best of both worlds, right? :blush:

Anyway, I have rambled on too long. I look forward to getting more advice from you in the future! :D

Rebecca

Hi Rebeca

Welcome to the neighborhood :D Isn't Colleen Moore's Fairy castle amazing????!!! I've never gotten to see it in person but I've seen the pictures online - what a place she built! And I know you're going to love your house too! They're a lot of fun to see come together ;)

There are lots of folks working on the Garfield around here so if you have any questions I"m sure you'll find lots of help too :D Looking forward to seeing pictures of your progress :)

-David :blush:

Hi Rebecca ... welcome! I'm sort of like you ... I read a lot first and ponder, then jump in with both feet and no safety net. It's a great ride, no matter how you approach it. :blush:

hi and welcome to the forums! like david said there alot of great houses and people who make them on here. There is always inspiration around here! i built the garfield earlier this year and have step by step pics on my webshots link below. If you ever have any questions please feel free to send me a message :ph34r: also suzyq is doing a beautiful job on her garfield, she has pics posted up on the gallery as well. again welcome to the forums! happy mini making!

-Jenny

Colleen Moore's Fairy castle amazing????!!! I've never gotten to see it in person

My first trip to Chicago last summer we stood in line nearly two hours to get into the Museum of Science & Industry, where the castle is on display, and then to the very small room where it's displayed. About twice the number of people the fire marshal's sign said were there and only half the phones that describe items in the rooms were working & no one seemed to understand about letting others move in when they were done, neither did the people behind think anything of shoving ahead; and the noise level was deafening.

After having a more normal and expected experience with the Thorne rooms I was doubly disappointed. Enjoy the link, you'll probably see as much or more than I did!

Well, I don't have the Heritage any more, I decided to do the Garfield instead! :thumb:

I'll try and attach a picture of the current state of my Garfield. I only have time to attach a few pieces a day so it's slow going. I'm also spending a lot of time researching wiring. Scary stuff!!

Thanks for all the welcomes! :thumb:

Rebecca

post-1248-1161142002_thumb.jpg

Hi and :) to the forum! You know Darrell has made a great tutorial regarding the wiring stuff and it is readily availiable here at the forum I just don't have its location right now though, it makes things soooo much easier to be able to follow the pictured steps!

Mini-hugs

Here's the topic on glues, it's in the "General Mini Talk" area:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...?showtopic=1678

Well my big debate on wiring is whether to use tapewire or round wire. I am a bit leery of the tapewire, but going to the Cir-Kit website and looking at the convenience of the tiny outlets, and especially the quick-connect fixtures for chandeliers really makes me want to use it!!

Rebecca