Dolls house families/figures

Shareb

Where do you find reasonable dolls house families/individuals? I've searched on Aliexpress, Ebay, Etsy and various dolls house suppliers. I guess I'm looking for not the run of the mill people. I'd like some with attitude! Any ideas? Thank you!

Where do you find reasonable dolls house families/individuals? I've searched on Aliexpress, Ebay, Etsy and various dolls house suppliers. I guess I'm looking for not the run of the mill people. I'd like some with attitude! Any ideas? Thank you!

I make my own: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=8

• Like 1

Hi Rebecca.

If you don't mind working on dolls yourself but don't want to start from scratch what I do is buy the less expensive porcelain dolls(on Amazon around $7 to $10) and re-wig, re-clothe and re-paint them the way I want them.

I've been trying to sculpt my own but have not been as pleased as I want to be with the results :yucky: ...still working at it though and I get good practice with the painting, wigging and making clothes with the porcelain dolls.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

• Like 2

I have the same problem so I have tried to make my own too but they all look like old trolls. I have a long way to o before my house is done though so I'm going to keep working at it. I will check out Amazon though thanks for the tip. I even started looking at action figures to try my hand at making clothes for but most have weapons or something that might be hard to cover.

• Like 1

Following :). I've made my own but they dont look like I want !

Neither did my first dolls, and that was after several attempts, squishing the clay back into masses and starting over before baking. I still experiment with it, but my fingers don't coax "pretty" dolls from the clay. I do get a few that look frighteningly like some of the people I see, though :hmm:

• Like 1

Our own Jo Med creates wonderful hand designed character dolls.

Here is some of her albums. She does sell on Etsy as well.

You could contact her with your ideas.

Our own Wolfie also creates OOAK dolls from porcelain molds.

She has been ill for a while so I'm not sure if she is currently producing new items.

You could contact her with your ideas.

Here is her website and her albums.

• Like 1

Selkie, have you been in touch with Wolfie? I've been trying to contact her and she's not responding. I hope she's okay. I love her dolls, and wanted to get one more.

Rebecca, there are very nice resin dolls at miniatures.com, and a few other places online. They are very reasonably priced and come in many styles and poses. It might be a nice way to start your collection, until you want to put out money for the expensive ones, or until you learn to make your own. I have no desire (nor skill) to make the dolls myself, but will gladly support those who do :)

• Like 1

Well thank you all! Stupidly I forgot that I started this thread and had started another! :bangin: Just had a look and Yes, Jo is really clever!! I have the Sue Heaser book for making polymer clay dolls but I'm pretty sure my faces would be crap! Sue and Cheryl - I found this brilliant site that has bookmarks to a heap of different miniature doll sites. http://www.mysmallobsession.com/miniature-dolls.html

I have found exactly what I am after - I have bought two kits at US$39.95 each - which I personally think is excellent value - from here.... http://www.colvindolls.com/

She also has some amazing tutorials for the painting, assembling and finishing. I am so incredibly excited about them as I really love their personalities!! I probably will have a go at some stage at making my own. My 14yr old daughter is very clever with polymer clay - she has made miniatures out of it for about 4 years now! She is anti trying to have a go at a person but I think she would probably do it very well! Her ambition is to work at WETA Workshop here in NZ, making prosthetics etc for movies (they did LOTR and so many others!). Sue and Cheryl - would love to hear what you finally end up with!!

• Like 1

Sherri Colvin is a member here as I mentioned in your other thread. James Carrington's book is really helpful with facial features, and Jodi Creager has video tutorials for sculpting dolls. Pick yourself up a small package of plasticene clay (non-drying, that you can use over & over) to practice with.

• Like 1

This is something I would like to get into myself. I have delved into porcelain dolls in the past with molds and firing, etc., but I no longer have the equipment to do this and I would like to be able to make different characters. I still have some of my old clothing patterns like from Emmanjay and Susan Sirkis. I have started collecting tools and have been scouring the web for tutorials, videos, etc.  I will have to def check out the books by James Carrington and Sue Heaser and check out Jodi Creager's video tutorials!

• Like 1

I am having trouble with glue on hair. Too many dolls have silly froo-froo glued to the heads. I can soften the glue with a hairdryer, allowing me to remove the ribbons or hat, but I still have an ugly glob of glue on the hair. Picking at it removes hair, even while melted, so that is no good. If I use a solvent, will it melt the hair or strip the painted face? I wish I could remove the glue glob without removing the hair from the head, if possible. The hair is shiny nylon style, not mohair or viscose. Any suggestions?

I think the viscose looks yucky. It reminds me of the matted flat look of a homeless person with one hard dreadlock. I want to remove the headdressing, not the hair. I hate having to search for dolls without silly froo-froo hats. I am terrible at rewigging, plus would then have to scalp nearly every new doll. Grr! There must be a way to get the gob of glue that held ribbons and bows and hats, without ruining the wig.

post-62950-0-88745400-1420701171_thumb.jI remember seeing in the hardware the other day a special 'goo remover'.  I wonder if something like that would work?  My doll kits have turned up today!  SO EXCITED!  Except that now I'm looking at them, I'm doubting my ability to complete them to my exacting standards!  I want to finish my staircase first and then I'll do my dolls!  I have the name for the lady - Valerie, Val for short in remembrance of an amazing family friend.  Now got to decide what her husband's name is!

post-62950-0-88745400-1420701171_thumb.j

post-62950-0-23174900-1420701175_thumb.j

post-62950-0-71617900-1420701178_thumb.j

• Like 1