Aging - for a more realistic look...

Soapz

So, I have way too much time on my hands and thought it might be a good idea to talk about making the houses look more realistic. Do you have the ultimate tips for making your houses more realistic looking? (Yes, I spent a few hours on Otterine's blog...)

I thought this could be something to share here in one thread. Any tips on aging wood, metals, painted siding, roof tiles, etc... I'm not talking decay, just a bit of age so it looks real.

I've been looking into dulling brass fixtures with ammonia and copper pennies and wax rubs. But, I decided to give a brass darkening solution a go. I don't like the shiny new look of brass lamps for my house. I will post before and after photos of the lamp. (when it all gets here.... hahaha)

Anyhow, anyone want to share?

Do you have a brass darkening solution recipe?

Here are two recipes for bug juice (for aging wood):

1. With a hammer and nail poke holes into a large jar lid, put a steel wool pad into the jar (fluff it up a bit; do NOT use a soap pad), fill the jar with plain ammonia to cover the steel wool, cover the top of the jar with the lid and set it somewhere dark and ventilated for a couple of weeks.

2. Fill a small jar with isopropyl alcohol at least half full. Drip India ink into it by droppersful until the desired silvery color is achieved on a piece of scrapwood.

I aged Emma's kitchen stove with burnt and raw siena paint washes and grated chalk pastels in gray: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=39290 I think I described somewhere how I aged the cookware when I painted it.

• Like 1

Aging Brass:

If lacquered: Remove lacquer with acetone.

Fill container with water, add copper penny and immerse brass piece in water without touching the penny. I have not tried this, so the ruling is out on this one.

I have bunches of tuts on aging because it's one of my favorite things to do. To dollhouses, I mean, not myself. LOL!

Here's one for creating a weathered patina. I used a rocking chair for the tut but the same process can be used on anything from furniture to shingles to walls.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse_news/APR2012/weathered-miniatures.html

Here's one for aging shingles by Tracy's daughter Rachel.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse_news/DEC2008/dollhouse-roofiing.html

This is a toofer with one tut for crumbling plaster walls and another for a newspaper insulated attic:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse_news/JAN2009/Greenleaf-Dollhouse-Kits-JAN-2009.html

This issue has another toofer in it. Tracy and I thought it would be fun if we both did our own version of how to distress plank siding so there are two methods here:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse_news/MAR2009/Greenleaf-Dollhouse-Kits-MAR-2009.html

How about a rusty tin roof?

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse_news/MAY2009/rusty-dollhouse-roof.html

• Like 2

I use the formula that I learned from Noel Thomas back in the 80s. It is less toxic than the ammonia kind. It's simply any kind of metal that will rust. I have used nails as well as steel wool and the only other ingredient is vinegar. It works with both white and cider vinegar. I have used both. Let it sit in a bottle for a couple of days until, when tested, it's a color that you like. Then brush on the shingles.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a tip, since I only did it once, but I had some vinyl bricks on my Gull Bay that looked way too clean and pink. I wanted to age them but also didn't want to introduce any new color elements to the house, so I brushed on the same gray oil-based stain that I used for the shingles. It gave them a nice dingy look. (Doesn't have to be stain, a wash of gray paint mixed with water would have had a similar effect.)

Here's a before and after - the chimney on the left has had stain applied, the one on the right hasn't.

post-7-0-74162300-1402684462_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Casey, I think I'll try your bug juice recipe next time, since the odor of apple cider vinegar is a lot pleasanter than that of ammonia, and DH & I drink it with honey every AM.

For aging anything and everything, I use a water based antiquing or gel stain medium, or make my own using water based paint in chosen colour and a retarding or extending medium. I brush onto the item (sometimes I will wet my brush, sometimes not), maybe leave for 30 seconds or so and then wipe off with a damp sponge. Using a light coloured antiquing medium will enhance an item's lines, rather than making it too grungy. Using darker colours will obviously make it age. I find these types of media easier to work than just a watered down paint as they give you more control (ie thicker) and won't dry as quickly.

• Like 1

Yep, retardant or extender are sold in the same little bottles as the acrylic paints. I usually get the Plaid Folk Art brand ( largely because that's what the local craft store stocked). You could also use the Jo Sonia gel medium (I think that's what it's called) but I could only get it in a giant bottle and it wasn't cheap.

Where would I get a retarding or extending medium? Is it sold with the bottle acrylics or over in the artist's supplies?

I have plenty of "retarding" (my ongoing can't remember .... ) solution and boat loads of "extending" (my hips) solution and it's all packed in the box labeled "Lost Marbles" where I keep the spares for time like this when I've totally lost mine! I can share some if you'd like. It's free!

Oops! That's not really what was being discussed here, now was it? Sorry, the temptation was too great and I couldn't stop myself.

• Like 2

I'm still learning on this aging process (in minis!) and am not real happy with the way my old cabin turned out. But I did learn a trick or two on aging fabric, as I wanted old and tattered curtains in the cabin. I took the used coffee grounds out of my coffee pot, put them in a bowl, and added some hot water. I let that steep for a few minutes, then soaked the fabric in the mixture for about 10 minutes (adjust time as needed). Placed the curtain on a paper towel, shaped it, and let it dry.

This picture shows the yellow-checked fabric I started with on the left, and the aged curtain on the right. Before hanging it I put some rips and tears in it, and sprayed it with hairspray to hold the shape.

post-4286-0-90850500-1402771096_thumb.jp

I did this with a piece of lace curtain also, and the coffee grounds got trapped in the holes of the lace. After it was dry, I gently brushed off the bigger pieces, and left the tiny ones there.

• Like 2

Great tips - thanks everyone. Keep them coming - if anyone remembers older threads about this topic, link them here - it will make it easier to navigate for everyone.

Vinegar is my agent of choice for creating the patina on the copper roofs I've done on both Smokey's Place and the Big Tennyson

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=93992

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=92182

Thanks for posting these! I've been wondering how to handle the patina since I want to do it on both my Victorian bays.

• Like 1

I used to use tea—and, believe it or not, lemon juice (on paper or fabric), held over a flame, which looks quite nice—to age things. But both are highly acidic, and so not stable long-term. You know how scrapbooking supplies all yell loudly about being acid-free? That's because over time acidified stuff crumbles, like old wood-pulp newspaper. So adding more acid an cause troubles down the line.

Now I fake everything I want aged—with various mixes of stain, or acrylic paints, or watercolors, or pastels (and a spray fixative), or artist's illustration pens (nice tutorial on that here— http://www.miniatures.com/Webpage.aspx?WebpageId=1583 ), or pigment inks (like they use in rubber stamping). Anything that can add color and also stays stable.