Hi everyone,

Im new to the dolls house world but I have extensive experience in building realistic looking objects. I trained as a painter and props maker for film and theatre and have worked on such projects as Les Miserables, and Audience with Helen Mirren and Charlie and The Chocolate Factory for the West End in London and have worked on stop motion animations such as the Pirates in an Adventure with Scientists and Shaun the Sheep for Aardman animations. If you would like to see some of my work and ask me any questions please visit me here.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DINOPRINTS

http://simonfarrellart.wordpress.com/

Simon

• Like 2

Hi Simon! Welcome to the Greenleaf community and to the wonderful world of dollhouses! You've had some amazing experiences in miniatures already. The stop motion animation must require incredible patience and precision. Do you have a particular dollhouse project in mind yet? We'd love to hear!

Deb

Hello Simon,

welcome to the forum. I admire detail work like you do - I don't have the skill (nor the patience...) for sculpting.

Welcome to the little family, Simon; your talent will come in quite handy! Jeremy/ pdlpeabody has a similar background to yours, and makes amazing scratchbuild collector dollshouses you might want to check out.

Welcome to the Forum!

I wanted to go into theatre design when I was in high school, but my parents advised me that law would pay better. Each dollar earned sucked more creativity away - ugh!

You have some amazing skills and a real eye for the job. I love the green door you did for Comedy of Errors, I think I want to create something similar for when I build the Harrison kit to house my Mad Hatter and his steampunk hobby.

About 9 years ago, a talented team of artists worked in Dubai to create the Ibn Battuta Mall - it is filled with amazing detail. It was done by a South African team, not sure if there were people from other countries - I met one artist online through another website and she told me that she lived in Dubai for almost two years to complete the job.

Here are some images from Google so that you can see the variety of sculpting and painting that went on: https://www.google.com/search?q=ibn+battuta+mall&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ar1EU6PTAoKftAa6uoCwDg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=667

Your dinosaurs are very intricate and would look lovely in a miniature museum, all soaring marble columns and high ceilings.

What kind of 1:12 buildings are you going to build?

Welcome, Simon. I joined the Greenleaf website because I love dollhouses and miniatures and waned to gain access to a wealth of pictures I wouldn't see elsewhere. While I knew this site would be exciting, I had no idea I would meet such interesting people from so many backgrounds. You are certainly one of them.

Thank you for sharing your talents with us, and please keep us informed on your current and upcoming projects.

Holly, that mall isn't very big - you could do it in one day (starting at 9:00 am) with lunch and dinner included, you'd finish at about 8pm. If you really want to go into every single shop and try on shoes and clothes, you'd need about two days. It is very beautiful, but after nearly 8 years, I can park nearest the shop I need - and be in and out in 20 minutes hehehehehe.

The sad thing about malls in Dubai: most of them have the same chain stores (perfume, makeup, clothes, shoes, coffee shops, restaurants). It is such a cookie-cutter "same old same old" experience.

I once arranged with a friend to meet in City Centre Mall (there are a few in the UAE). I actually walked to Paul's Cafe and waited for her. Then I called her mobile and she said "but I really AM sitting at Paul's at the moment". That's when we realized we were in two different malls located about 20 minutes' drive apart :crazyeyes:

Luckily she jumped in a taxi and drove to the mall where I was with the children. We had a good laugh about it, but just goes to show how shallow Dubai malls really are!

• 4 weeks later...