Cutting Advice -- Englarging Doorways

Blondie

I need to enlarge my Beacon Hill doorways about a half inch each to fit the height of the Houseworks narrow working doors. For the first one, I was stupid ignorant enough to do it with a box cutter. I made a mess. Luckily, the mess will be covered by the door frame. :D

I have now borrowed my father's Dremel to do it right! He suggested doing multiple vertical cuts along the top of the door frame hole, but I thought I could just do one horizontal cut with two little ones on either side. However, I'm not a dollhouse cutting expert (not a basher), and I've only used this Dremel a couple of times. I'm not making these cuts today. I'm simply gathering information like a good, little 007 BH Builder.

Any suggestions on how to safely and smartly enlarge the doorways? (I hope I've explained it correctly. They aren't tall enough, so I need to cut them to be slightly taller.) Dad's Dremel has the saw tool and sanding barrels. Methinks it would be easier to cut than to sand though...

:thankyou:

Here's a picture of the box cutter version.

post-1461-0-84721000-1393801058_thumb.jp

I think what he means is, since you can't work flat (this is like rehabbing), to make a series of short vertical cuts along the top of the frame so that you can then break or cut them off. Kind of like a row of teeth |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_| . This would make it a lot easier to remove just what you need, and any rough edge will be covered by trim.

I could also be completely wrong :lol:

• Like 2

I'm not any kind of an authority in this area but do you have a drill? Two smallish drilled holes at both corners at the height you want and then saw or cut with whichever tool the horizontal cut. I hope that you will yell out " TAWANDA!" as you are doing this # KathyBates # FriedGreenTomatoes

• Like 3

Yes, yes, yes on the pre-drilled starter holes. They make it go way smoother. I'd use my jig saw if it up to me cuz I have trouble controlling the dremel to go straight enough without it taking off on me to some other jig or jag.

He suggested doing multiple vertical cuts along the top of the door frame hole, but I thought I could just do one horizontal cut with two little ones on either side.

Your dad is right for a nice cut. Drilled holes in the corner will help. A piece of tape at the cutting edge helps with splinters. (And real life carpenters use woodwork to finish openings for a clean look, too.)

Ah yes, the tape trick!! I knew there was something handy I was forgetting! Thank you all for your wonderful tips and suggestions. I get quite overwhelmed when I think about cutting the BH, but I'll need to do it again in the future for some built-in shelves. Baby steps for now. :)

• Like 2

I used an aluminium angle edge thingy from hobby lobby, scored the soon-to-be-cut lines several times with a carpet knife and afterwards sanded it - worked rather well.

I would most certainly NOT cut it with a Dremel. Drill your holes and use a coping saw or a jeweler's saw, I have had great success with the box cutter, BUT I use a brand new SHARP blade, a steel straight edge and several passes with the utility knife that grow progressivlely deeper. I also cut from both sides of the wood,

That won't work for me since the house is already put together. There's no real way to hold the wood or get a good grip on it. I'm also not going to buy a bunch of new tools just to do this. I think the Dremel will be fine.

• Like 2

Pauline, do you have a nice, heavy/ sturdy bench vise? When I need to sand several items to the same shape I stack and jog them even and clamp them in the vise and use the sanding drum on my Dremel. It's an excellent way to introduce yourself to the tool. For cutting you want to mount a vertical holder to your workbench and mount your tool securely into the holder abefore using it to cut anything.

• Like 1

Early in my Dremel ownership I used mine with cutting wheels to cut wood freehand and noticed a tendency for the cutter to get caught or hungup in some of the grains (I had nice, fast reflexes and keep a thumb on the off switch at all times, anyway) and decided it was too risky unless I could clamp the tool into a sturdy mount and use two hands on the wood, like I do with my table saw, scrollsaw and DH's bandsaw. BIG difference!

• Like 1

I'm glad to find this post. My house is insisting that I convert at least half of the 8 windows on the first floor into French doors to make it look more New Orleans-ish. I'm trying to convince it to be happy with the windows as they are. It isn't listening to me, so I'm becoming rather nervous! :fear: But lots of good tips in this thread, thank goodness!

Converting windows to French doors is easier than going back the other way. Mildred wanted additional French doors, but she wants them arched to match the diningroom's (which I also had to replace from scratch). I need to find sheets of clear acrylic on which I supposed I'll paint "stained glass" designs and make basswood frames. I've already cut the openings. I really hope I can repair all the damage from the move!

• Like 1

Glad to know you were able to finally cut the doorways. I've had a hard time cutting door ways myself but I've always used the box cutter to do it. Best way is to lay your partition wall down on a flat surface, use a straight edge to guide your cuts, have a new blade in your knife and be very careful and patient. It takes multiple passes to get it done.

• Like 1

Gina I've just remembered that I have an Auntie in Florida! She and her sister moved to the USA from Glasgow around forty years ago. The other Auntie ended up in Boston, Mass, and married a local Irish American guy. Florida Auntie stayed in Florida. She's in Deland (?) now. I've still not visited the USA!

• Like 1