A Tribute to Ann from New York

CheckMouse

I just came across this article about Ann - thought I would share it with you. She's here on our forum, and on Facebook, and makes about 1 dollhouse a week for kids battling cancer. Greenleaf gets a plug in the article, too :)

www.themagicaldollhouseblog.com/300th-dollhouse-created-for-kids-battling-cancer/

• Like 3

There should be a coffee table book of Ann's houses. They are all so cheerful and beautiful. Thanks for sharing the link. I really enjoyed the post/article. Ann more than deserves the thank you. It's obvious she isn't in this for herself in any way and it's terrible for people like this to be overlooked. Kids need to see REAL heroes like her. What a special woman.

• Like 2

The first paragraph made me teary. I knew her houses were wonderful for these children, but hadn't thought of how healing they would be for the parents and siblings of these ill children.

Ann, what an incredible impact you've made on so many lives!

• Like 4

Yes, that first paragraph got me teary-eyed, too. Had to read it a couple times to get the full grasp of it. I have read of some dying parents who have staged, and photographed, special milestones in their children's lives, knowing they would not be there to see it. One was a mother with Lou Gehrig's disease who went to a bridal shop with her 12-year-old daughter to pick out, and pre-pay, her wedding dress. Another was a man who had his two teenaged daughters dress up for a wedding, and he staged and filmed a wedding procession with him walking each girl down the aisle. But this is the first time I've heard of the flip-side of that - where the child is the one who is dying and won't see those magic moments. So bittersweet. Must stop writing - can't see my screen anymore!

• Like 2

She is inspiring so many of us - just wanted to add one more thought.

She does not accept any money for her work, not even to help with her own expenses. But she will accept gift certificates, i.e. to HBS and Greenleaf. And she will accept items to go into the dollhouses - furniture, accessories, dolls, etc.

Just in case anyone was wondering :bigwink:

• Like 3