Doll house Door Hinges

tgrobe

Thank you all for the great information on hinges,!!!! I think I will try pinning them next. On the Garfield, I also tried using bias tape and its ok but not great. Next I will attempt the tyvek and see how that works....I am a little late on the 2013 spring fling kit, but its ok since I have a new granddaughter, 12/30.13 to build for now...

Thanks all for the great info.!

• Like 1

Holly, that's exactly how I did my own doors. I just used one Houseworks door as a template to see how it was put together and then I started building my own doors. Then I used some sewing pins and cut them shorter. It was a breeze especially since I used basswood and pine for my doors and frames as they were softer woods. Once the doors are built, glued and painted or stained then the whole completed unit just goes inside the door opening and it's a working door! No more teeny tiny door hinges for me!!!!!!

• Like 1

Holly and Susan....I was just wondering if you assembled the entire door first or piece by piece. I always did the whole thing and then slide it into the opening at the end. Glad to know I am doing something right! :p

I haven't done pinhinging because I forget to make the assembly before I have so much of the house glued up to trace my patterns. I will have to hang Mildred's doors with chamois hinges, too; but I'm going to try pinhinging the Washington's doors.

I assemble it first. Once I have the frame made which actually goes inside the door opening then I start making the actual door that will fit the opening with the door frame that I made. I just used basswood strips for the frame. The door should fit inside your frame. The upper and bottom door trim frame is where I insert the pins which then go into the door itself. You can choose which side and way you want the door to swing open. I also add wood trim i.e., wainscot panels and other trim to make the doors more ornate. Everything is glued and then painted or stained. Then it is one complete and assembled unit and simply slides into the door opening and glued in place. Before I would glue in the door though I would first put up the wallpaper and then any doors and windows with their trim to finish it off. If you look at a Houseworks door then this will probably make a lot more sense; at least it did for me when I first tried making my own door. I hope this helps! If you look at my gallery photos I posted some pics of some of the doors I made although I didn't show the actual building of the frames etc. just the finished doors before I stained them.

I am thinking I might not bother with door hinges at all. My houses always face the back ( where you look inside) and no one including me ever opens the doors!

The little people can just walk out the back door! :p

• Like 1

I assemble it first. ........... I hope this helps! ......

You make it sound so logical and simple. Thanks for the explanation.

It makes me think that I might be able to actually do it. Hm-m-m-m???

I pin hinged some doors to a few of those unfinished build it yourself cabinet kits.

I built several of them this summer so maybe it wouldn't be too much different from that process.

can the pin hinging method be used even if you have already built the house? I have the door trim on the outside on already, just waiting to hinge the doors in place. But after making my first attempt on the dining bay doors I am ready to try something new.

If you can finagle your fingers and stripwood to mark it to size against your door opening you can build the framework for the door. My problem, when I was trying it, was that I hadn't had the little lightbulb go on about the inner frame to hang the door, and THEN attach it within the door opening and add the trim; once I figured out that part I discovered I can't make my hands fit any more (osteoarthritis secondary to holding onto a steering wheel when a logtruck ate the car I was driving) and work at the same time.

• 4 years later...
On 1/10/2014, 6:52:44, MrsT said:

can the pin hinging method be used even if you have already built the house? I have the door trim on the outside on already, just waiting to hinge the doors in place. But after making my first attempt on the dining bay doors I am ready to try something new.

Well i am having issues with door hinges from  past few days. Even i quoted on phone with locksmith also but the suggestion they'd given won't work , what should i do please share your thoughts !!

3 hours ago, billford said:

Well i am having issues with door hinges from  past few days. Even i quoted on phone with locksmith also but the suggestion they'd given won't work , what should i do please share your thoughts !!

Are you aware that this discussion is about hinging doors in miniature dollhouses? 

It might help if you scroll back through all of the comments on pin-hinging doors.   And yes, you can add your door after your dollhouse is built!  The bottom trim may be a bit more difficult if you already glued that in the opening but it can be done.   Good luck!   Those teeny tiny door hinges are very difficult to use and that's why pin-hinging is the best method!

If you try to use the little brass hinges & pins that come with them to hinge a mini door properly, the heads of the brads are thicker than  the brass of the hinge, so that even when you successfully flush-mount the hinge to the door AND the jamb the darned things bind; and if you just use glue you can't rally open & close the door without one of the hinges leaves pooping loose.  Once I quit head-slapping myself at how dirt simple pin-hinging is I shall probably never go back!