Scented dh wallpaper

WyckedWood

Essential oils perhaps

Might have to use a template backer to accomplish this so the oils wouldn't stain the actual wallpaper.

When I did the floors in my faerie manor I rubbed essential oil (lavender) into them. I need to redo it, but the scent lasted quite awhile :) It didn't cause any staining or anything in the wood, but being a faerie house that wasn't really the concern that it would be in a traditional house.

What about making some kind of furniture item like an ottoman that you could open and put cotton balls soaked in essential oils into. This way you could refresh the scent as needed and not have to worry about staining anything.

• Like 2

I do hide scent in my houses...but recently bought some scented crabtree and evelyn drawer liner paper (rl)...it just got me to thinking about scented wallpaper :)

Guessing here -

Probably oils mixed into the paper making process itself.

Could be a scent added in a spray coating like a sealer that might be on as a finish coat.

Dumb question....but how DO they make real scented drawer liner?

I just Googled "how to make scented drawer liner paper" and found several sites with tutorials. It appears to be a simple process. :)

• Like 1

My grandmother liked to make potpourri sachets to put in drawers to scent her clothes. I use bars of scented soap. I really like the idea of a piece of furniture you can open up to put fresh cotton ballsful of essential oils into. I seem to remember that oil of cloves is good to repel bugs...

Thanks for that link Selkie, I wouldn't have thought of ironing the paper after scenting it, I don't see any reason that technique described wouldn't work on dh paper. It says "uncoated" paper...commercially bought dh paper isn't coated is it?

Ive talked about this before but one of our old members Haunted Monica has a perfume business now and gives free perfume sample bottles when you order so when im done with the perfume I place the small bottles in various places around the room...under beds,inside closets,etc. Makes for a nice lingering scent.

I love the smell of cloves :)

• Like 2

I just bought some little scented sachets in the shape of actual mini-cushions. Not sure how long their scent will last, but you could make potpourri sachets to match each room and scatter the little cushions around.

• Like 1

Good idea, Lene! I've had a bumper crop of lavender this year. I see some mini sachet cushions in my future.

I think removable bits of fragrance are a good way to go. No fragrance will last forever, and cushions or hidden bits of cotton are easier to change out than wallpaper.

• Like 1

Kathie, since you have so much lavender available, here's another kind of sachet you can make: shoe refreshers! Years ago I bought some and haven't seen them since. They are about 3 inches wide and 5 inches long, with a rounded tip and they are stuffed quite full. The opposite end has a little ribbon so that you can pull it out of the shoe. These worked really well to freshen up closed shoes after a long day's wear. I cannot find any potpourri to buy here in Dubai, but I'm holding on to them so that one day I can make some more.

Ohh you could make little tube pillows and keep one end loose with a tie so you could swap out the scents or make a pillow with Velcro. Or in the bedroom that has a hope chest..I have seen those cracked open with blankets hanging out of them you could put the cotton balls or other great smelly stuff in there. You could always put a little baggie of the stuff in there so not to hurt the wood or blankets that may touch the scented items,

• Like 1

If you put the scented cottonballs in a baggie, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of using scented cottonballs?

Not if you left the top of the baggie open, then your minis would be safe and you would not have to worry about oil transfer or it staining your stuff.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found scented additive for paint at Menards. Made for mixing with latex paint it is water base not oil, that may not stain the wallpaper like oil base would. I purchased my doll house from Ebay and it smelled a little musty when i got it so when I was buying my paint I saw this on the counter in the paint department. No more musty smell.