Hi and happy 4th

Hi everyone,

I'm Mary or MaryKate, from Nebraska. I've been doing minis off and on for years, starting with a 9-room house my dad and I built and furnished for my sister...we don't do things halfway in my family. I've built two Greenleaf houses--one whose name I can't remember, but it's a smaller house with a square tower and appears to not be made anymore, and a severely kitbashed Arthur. I've also done three roombox projects.

I recently went in for a second round of grad school, and now that I'm done I've decided to pull at least one of the kits in my basement out and start playing. I have a couple of kits that are kind of 'mysteries' that I will post about in relevant threads, as well as a kit for a beach house, a partially finished Heritage that I need to totally rethink, and the Ponderosa log cabin kit....I tend to collect projects without finishing them. Not my best habit!

Because I want to get my feet back under me before I tackle any of the really expensive kits, I'm going to take one of the mystery kits and make a haunted/witches' house. My critical thesis for my MFA was about witch trials in young adult fiction, so I thought this would be a good place to start--and the house is based on my memories of a 'haunted' house that stood in the neighborhood where I grew up, so it doesn't have to be perfect. Great way to practice old skills and regain new ones--at least that's the plan.

This looks like an amazing resource! I'm looking forward to chatting with all of you!

• Like 2

Hi Mary, welcome to the Greenleaf Family - :welcome:- so glad you found us. What part of NE are you from? Our daughter and family are in Norfolk, north of Omaha.

Welcome to our happy little family.

You'll find a great number of "addicted enablers" here to help you along the way.

We all love eye candy so as soon as you have 5 posts, you can start an album.

Old pictures and new pictures are all great.

Looks like you have some great ideas and plans. Can't wait to see what you share with us.

Always remember what Holly reminds "There is no such thing as a dumb question".

Thanks for the warm welcome! Checkmouse, I live in Omaha--grew up here, took a detour to Indiana for the 90s (where I discovered Jeepers Miniatures--talk about enabling!), and moved back home in 2003.

I'm a writer and work mostly from home right now, which is lovely for mini projects--I can get a lot of words in while I wait for paint and glue to dry!

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome! Checkmouse, I live in Omaha--grew up here, took a detour to Indiana for the 90s (where I discovered Jeepers Miniatures--talk about enabling!), and moved back home in 2003.

I'm a writer and work mostly from home right now, which is lovely for mini projects--I can get a lot of words in while I wait for paint and glue to dry!

What type or genre of writing do you do? Mini of us are avid readers too! :)

Hi Mary,welcome to the group :wave:

When you said that you had once built a smaller Greenleaf house with a square tower...and it was discontinued...I thought maybe the house you were referring to was The Canterbury? This picture is a Canterbury that I did several years ago as a Witches Cottage. Id love to hear more about what your plans are for your current project,sounds like lots of fun.

Welcome to the little family, MaryKate. Could your "smaller house with a square tower" be the Fairfield:

8015_fairfield_dollhouse_PF_400_fs.jpg?

If so, it's still being made.

...Always remember what Holly reminds "There is no such thing as a dumb question".

holly also reminds us that hobbies are FUN! and there are no mess ups that cannot be bashed into something special.

Again, thanks -- I love how active this forum is!

I write for Tweens and young adults--historical fiction, fantasy, and contemporary fiction. Still working on getting fiction published, and everything I've published so far has been academic articles and curriculum...kind of boring compared to the stories I love writing now (black plague, witches, theatre kids,etc). Believe me, as soon as I have a book coming out, everyone in shouting distance will know!

Thanks for the pics. My house is the Canterbury. I love the spooky version you did, Karin! Halloween is my favorite holiday. Big surprise, right?

After two years in a program with lovely creative people, I've learned to be far more accepting of imperfections, and to follow my 'mistakes' down new roads. Especially with hobbies! Can't wait to see how crooked the path of this house will be.

• Like 1

Im looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Its more than just "building a dollhouse", to me, (to most of us probably) its an artistic form of expression and never ending source of curiosity and excitement. I hope you share lots of pictures with us along the way, we love encouraging others (enabling) and giving feedback. Thanks for the compliment about my little Canterbury, Ive done two of them, its a cute cottage kit...only found on ebay these days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...