Jackie Deiber "Gull Bay"

fov

I just won a half scale Gull Bay house off eBay. It's apparently designed by Jackie Kerr Deiber. I totally did not need this (esp. since it looks so similar to my puzzle house) but it's so cute, something about it grabbed me. Plus it's a good price for all the materials that come with it.

I tried searching for photos of the finished house (here and on Google) and haven't found any. Has anyone here built this?

The way it slides to open is interesting but I'm not sure how practical that is. Seems like you'd need your furniture glued down for it to work! I have a lot of resin half scale furniture that I've hesitated to use in other houses since it looks sort of fake next to "real" furniture. Maybe this will be a good house for it -- you'll just be able to see it through the windows.

There was another slide-apart house on eBay at the same time, but a different style, that didn't sell. Maybe the seller will put it up again.

post-7-0-69590400-1364444834_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-59638100-1364444837_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-05989400-1364444846_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That's a very interesting house! I really like the front of it - that upstairs porch looks like fun. Looks like it's designed to open just for working on it, not to open it for viewing. Looks like fun!

Yeah, I'll definitely blog about it when I get to it. I'm not sure if there are any windows on the back of the house... if not, seeing into the back rooms when it's assembled will be tricky. Also I might want to put in a French door leading onto the balcony, instead of a window.

I like its design. I agree with you about the slide opening. I've seen that in 1/144 scale houses but not on half scale. I'd probably be looking to modify the design to back or side(s) opening. But then it's not the same, is it? Maybe the earthquake putty and lots of built-ins?

The house arrived today! (My long-suffering significant other said "there's a big box down here for you" and knew better than to ask what was in it...) Don't have time for pictures now but I'll take some later this week. The house is nicely sided and it came with all the windows, trim, shingles, etc. that it needs. There was an instruction sheet included that implied the house was to be brought in to a class to be completed, so maybe the original owner never went to the class or maybe extras were sold off after the class happened.

The seller included this note with the house:

I hope you have fun with this kit. My friend is in her 80s and after 40+ years of doing miniatures she's got too many "someday" projects. Her kids want her to clean out and I have the job of helping her. I know she'll be happy that this house will get finished.

I thought that was nice. :)

The back slides out nicely and I don't think I'll have to worry about paper getting scuffed when the back part is removed. However it will most likely be displayed with the back on. There are strategically-placed windows so you can see into every room. Only thing is, it's quite dark inside when it's closed up. I'm so anti-electricity these days but maybe there's a solution for adding lights that illuminate the room, but aren't necessarily "light fixtures" per se? And light colored wallpaper and flooring might help too.

• Like 3

There are some nice electric lights now that can be hidden in a house for indirect lighting. When I put my Mountain Retreat up on display it was impractical to turn the battery-powered chandelier lights on, so I added some of those bulbs designed to light the ceramic houses. Works very well, and I turn it on every evening without worrying about mini-lights failing. Just browse through a hardware store - there are a lot of choices.

• 1 month later...

I sent Jackie an email and she wrote back to say that this house was also available in 1:48 and 1:144, as part of the Millie August line of pull apart houses. I found some pics of the 1:144 version in an old etsy listing: http://www.etsy.com/listing/26268780/vintage-millie-august-pull-apart-doll

• Like 1

I sent Jackie an email and she wrote back to say that this house was also available in 1:48 and 1:144, as part of the Millie August line of pull apart houses. I found some pics of the 1:144 version in an old etsy listing: http://www.etsy.com/listing/26268780/vintage-millie-august-pull-apart-doll

Yeah, my memory isn't going yet! I thought I'd seen it in 1:144 scale! Your half scale house is pretty neat! :)

• 4 months later...

I just won the 1:144 version of this house on eBay. Too big to be a dollhouse for the dollhouse (since the "big" house is half scale) but still, I saw it and had to have it. :)

I'm planning to get to work on the Gull Bay next after I finish my Queen Anne Rowhouse (very soon!)

post-7-0-45372500-1380226830_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I just won the 1:144 version of this house on eBay. Too big to be a dollhouse for the dollhouse (since the "big" house is half scale) but still, I saw it and had to have it. :)

I'm planning to get to work on the Gull Bay next after I finish my Queen Anne Rowhouse (very soon!)

I didn't realize she did this house in 1/2" scale! I have four (I think the whole set) of the Millie August 1/44 houses. I love the detail! They are on my mantle.

2013-09-26211021_zpsb759d399.jpg

• Like 1