Beacon Hill Builders: The Next Generation

Blondie

You could also make templates of your interior walls and wallpaper/ paint them and attach them to the walls over the wiring with double-sided tape (just a thought). If this hobby teaches you nothing else, it will teach you patience!

• Like 1

The staircase fits against a wall. You definitely need to paint or wallpaper that wall before installing the staircase, as it will be next to impossible to decorate around it.

Some of us have made the staircase removable.

• Like 2

Thank you Kathie I can do the electric in the hallways down the other wall so I see no problem to wallpaper where the staircase goes. Thanks again .! :)

It's not a matter of the electric -- the stairway blocks the wall so you can't see around it, nor can your real sized hands reach around it to hang wallpaper or paint. Trust me, you really want to decorate that wall before the staircase goes in.

• Like 1

I still do not have patience. Time and time again I have to repeat something because I fiddled with it before it could dry - either the glue or the paint. I am just ALWAYS SO HASTY to see the end product. Wish I could change that but I always tell myself I will be carefull. :bangin:

• Like 2

You're going to do great! Just take it slow -- one little thing at a time. The BH can be very intimidating, but I know you can do it! :D

I've been stalling on getting out the window parts and beginning that process. I know some people do them all at the same time, but I'm thinking it would be easier for my brain and spirit if I just do a little bit at a time. For example, I could finish the windows for the Crime Museum (lower far left room) first. Then I could do another room. I think this will keep me from getting overwhelmed by all of that trim. :bigwink: But before windows, I would need to finish the floor and put in anything that might require a hand coming through the window... Hmm. Lots to think about.

It really does help me to work on one room at a time. Otherwise, I think about the whole house and get all crazy and shut down. :aussie: <------ frozen, crazy farmgirl

I also talked to my local glasscutter about making the sliding Plexiglas "walls" to keep the cats out. He said he'd be happy to help me. He said I could bring the house in, and he could just make one big sheet for me. Hahahahaha!!!!! Um, no. The house is far too big, I said. So we're going to work together on this kind of thing: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=90577

• Like 2

Bloondie, I start on the first floor and work my way up, always one room at a time; but I always save windows and doors for last, unless I won't be able to reach them later.

• Like 1

Thank you so much Blondie yes it is very intimidating but like I said before I am so thankful I found this forum and so many nice people so I am sure in time I will get it together. Right now I am figuring out what all for sockets I need and I am making a list for each room. I also want to get bricks for the foundation to go around but I dont want to use wallpaper but little bricks I just found where I get them at. Ohja the windows will be a one at the time projekt for sure in my case. lol

That is such a great idea with the plexi glass cause of your cat. Wicked (my kitty) had already tape in his fur and when the box of the house is open he sits on the wood sheets so thats another thing to think about and the list goes on and on. :coffee:

I think it is funny that the glass guy said you should bring it over. lol I dont think he knew how huge it is. lol

Anyways thank you again and I keep making my list. :)

• Like 1

Running errands yesterday I found BRICK colored 80-grit andpaper! :happy dance: Lily wants to be a Tuscan villa and now I have better bricks for the exterior, where the plaster is falling off.

• Like 2

Thats great Holly. Lily will love it. Sometimes we just have to have some luck. ;-) I think next weekend it is time for me to go across the border (there is not one anymore) to Netherland. Cause there is no dollhouse stores anywhere around. So I think I take my wallet but leave my husband home. lol

• Like 2

Both of my cats LOVE to sit on the wood sheets inside the boxes. They actually nudge their heads under the box edge to get it open and then crawl in there. Such silly kitties!

I think leaving your husband at home during your shopping trip is a great idea! :D

Can I make a suggestion? You might want to wait to put the bricks on your foundation until after you've sided/painted the outside of the house. I know I've splattered a bunch of paint on my naked foundation while I've been building. It would be awful to do nice brickwork and then spill on it while you're working on the other parts of the exterior. Just something to think about. :D You are probably not as messy as I am though!

• Like 1

Yes the furbabys love boxes and apperently the once woth wood in it even more. lol

Well my shopping trip is cancled since I just spend a fortune on the electric and bricks and some other stuff. :D

But there is always a next month. :banana:

Thank you for pointing that out with the painting the side of the house. Your wrong I am a very messy painter. lol I know I would get paint on the bricks. Good thing you pointed that out to me. Thank you again. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the 1:144 scale Hill and put it together. First attempt. My eyes hurt for three days. Guess I am too old for the Mini Ity scale. It looks like a haunted house. Learned that I need to paint BEFORE assembly.... It will go into the "big house" once it is completed.

• Like 3

I purchased the 1:144 scale Hill and put it together. First attempt. My eyes hurt for three days. Guess I am too old for the Mini Ity scale. It looks like a haunted house. Learned that I need to paint BEFORE assembly.... It will go into the "big house" once it is completed.

Yea! I'm glad you found us over here. How exciting to make a 1:44 scale Beacon Hill. It's on my list :) Can't wait to see pics of yours. And of course, 'The Big House' :)

• Like 2

I can not even imagine to make the BH smaller than the 1:12. :ohmy: I am impressed but I bet your eyes hurt. :yikes:

• Like 1

I also have the 144 Beacon, but I promised myself I wouldn't put it together until the big house is finished, which means it will be along time... Hahaha!!

Anja, I saw your photos, and you're doing great. Don't ever think you are boring us with construction shots because we love them!! :D

• Like 1

I don't do well with promising myself stuff. I got the Westville before I retired this past Jan. I posted on FB that I wouldn't start until after I had retired. A long time friend, who lived near me when I did the first two houses (over 10 years ago), said that there was NO WAY I could wait. ...... She was right. I started on the Westville before I retired....... Be careful what you promise yourself LOL

• Like 1

Thank you Blondie I am glad to hear that it is not boring cause sometimes I cant hide my excitment. I do believe my husband listens to me now just part of the time but mostly he hears me sound like the teacher in Charlie Brown. lol

Lawanda I am not promising me nothing and I have no idea when I am done but I love when the pieces fit together and I squiel like a little girl when it worked exact the way I wanted it too. But I do understand not being able to wait.Which makes me come back to you Blondie ''Stay strong'' I know its hard seeing that cute little house but try your hardest. lol

Holly That is a fantastic Idea with the jewlers loupe. Which now gets me thinking about a little BH.I am just not quiet ready to tell anybody except for people here. :D

• Like 1