Mollie's Orchid

KathieB

Mollie, my goddaughter, came over after school today and we got to work on the Orchid we're building for her mom. Mollie has some strong ideas about what she wants it to look like, and I'm following her lead. :lol:

I punched out all of the pieces, sorted and bagged them. We got the floors stained and the main walls primed and painted on the outside. We're not doing a special siding effect.

She decided that since her mom has a lot of sunflowers in her kitchen/family room, the house ought to reflect that, so it's painted a lovely yellow. The accent colors are sage green and a soft terra cotta. (All paints used in our real house. She went shopping on the paint shelf and hit pay dirt, thank goodness!)

The mini lady of the house is an art teacher. A teacher because her mom teaches (among other things) and art teacher because Mollie likes art and wants to have a lot of it in the house. She's talking about an upstairs bedroom/studio. And she's already decided to leave out the wall on the lower floor because she doesn't like the tiny kitchen in my Orchid!

And she found some printies on line, so she's already planning a laptop computer and other stuff. What a hoot!

First photos are in my gallery. More to come! :D

Welcome to the Forum Arnetta!! We would like to know what you are working on too!!

:lol:

Kathie, your Orchid looks WONDERFUL!! Mollie has Good taste. It is so nice when the kids get involved and can express there own ideas and artistic abilities too!! You are doing a wonderful thing!

Kathie, this just chokes me up! It must be so nice to have a little girl to 'play' with! You're both off to a good start . . . can't wait to see pictures as you progress through what will be an awesome gift for an awesome mother!! :lol:

Ohh, a child after my own heart! Tell Mollie I totally agree with her, I didn't like the tiny kitchen either and made my Orchid one large room. I have an area in mine that I call the kitchen nook. I'm sure you've started Mollie on a wonderful journey through miniatures.

Ohh, a child after my own heart! Tell Mollie I totally agree with her, I didn't like the tiny kitchen either and made my Orchid one large room. I have an area in mine that I call the kitchen nook. I'm sure you've started Mollie on a wonderful journey through miniatures.

Wendy, that just about sums up what I had in mind! What a great experince to be able to share with both your granddaughter as well as the end result for her mother!

Looking forward to follow the building process!

Mini-hugs

All right ... the results of Day 4 are posted in the Gallery. By Sunday, when Mollie is next available, we ought to be working on furnishings. That's the part she's really interested in. We're planning to make several pieces from Jim's Minis printies.

dont forget the dollhouse for the dollhouse on Jims site!

I have put that one together many times and it always looks so sweet!

it has the inside as well.

nutti :o

We did the little dollhouse a week ago! Great minds think alike, eh? :p Or are we both in the same rut??? :lol: heeeheeee

I just posted today's efforts in the Gallery. Got the gingerbread on, bay window installed, plugged the slot holes with plastic wood, and started shingling ...

• 2 weeks later...

Finished! Photos in the Gallery. Mollie didn't have as much hands-on experience as I'd hoped, but with her schedule and mine, getting together was problematic. She did keep an eye on what I was doing, though, and was liberal with suggestions! :cloud9:

So now Dollhouse #3 moves out and I'm on to the next project ... what fun!

It looks WONDERFUL!!! You both did an EXCELLENT job on this house! I love the furniture and I also love the sponge painted rooms :thumb: It's too cool!

What she said LOL as wonderful was the first word that popped to mind when seeing the pics. Wow you have got a great dolhouse done together, and you said "on to the next project", please share :thumb: :lol:

Hugs

What she said LOL as wonderful was the first word that popped to mind when seeing the pics. Wow you have got a great dolhouse done together, and you said "on to the next project", please share :thumb: :lol:

Hugs

Thanks, Anna ... it was a great experience. We delivered the house last night. I talked with Mollie's mom this morning. She says it is no longer her house. Mollie has taken it over and would hardly go to bed last night. She was up early this morning, has all of her Bratz dolls out and is planning a party in the Orchid. I guess when you're nine years old, scale really doesn't matter! :thumb:

As for the next project, the Westville and the Pierce are in line, but first a special project: the Travel Caravan for Ernie's contest. My husband is excited about this project, too, so we'll be working together. Today I'll get the workshop all cleaned up and organized. We've been collecting accessories, dolls, etc., and have a design. Now on to the execution! Since it's going into the contest, I'm going to hold the pictures and post them after the contest closes on December 15.

A very sweet house indeed!

Yes, scale doesn't matter to kids, much, until they really get hooked on miniatures...then it become VERY important. My brother was hooked on HO scale trains and train layouts, and after a time, could just "eye" something and tell whether it was "in scale" or not, for his purposes... That was when he was around 11....

Thanks, Anna ... it was a great experience. We delivered the house last night. I talked with Mollie's mom this morning. She says it is no longer her house. Mollie has taken it over and would hardly go to bed last night. She was up early this morning, has all of her Bratz dolls out and is planning a party in the Orchid. I guess when you're nine years old, scale really doesn't matter! :lol:

As for the next project, the Westville and the Pierce are in line, but first a special project: the Travel Caravan for Ernie's contest. My husband is excited about this project, too, so we'll be working together. Today I'll get the workshop all cleaned up and organized. We've been collecting accessories, dolls, etc., and have a design. Now on to the execution! Since it's going into the contest, I'm going to hold the pictures and post them after the contest closes on December 15.

Oh it looks very Nice!

Iam working at an orchid too but iam a Worm! :yes:

Regards Mela

Thank you, Mela! You don't have all that much left to do on your Orchid. Are you actively working on it? Or is it sitting on a shelf, pouting at you?? :groucho: