What's Everybody Working On?

Charlene

Add me to the list of people who must have a clean home before working on mini projects!

Right now I am working on some mini knitting projects. I have almost completed a lady's cardigan--just waiting for the buttons I ordered to arrived. I have completed the front and back of a man's aran sweater and have begun the first sleeve. that project has an ocotber 29 deadline--I want to finish intime for the upcoming miniature shows. I plan to ask a dollmaker to make me a male doll and dress him in my cardigan.

Next up, I am going to dress a crib for a co-worker who is building her first house. The them is peter Rabbit, and I have printed the peter Rabbit wallpaper border on the KawarthaLakesMinis site onto fabric. The wallpaper border will be crib bumbers and a window valance. I will also knit a couple of surprises for Crystal's nursery, but she doesn't know about those--hee hee.

I have had an itch to work on my Fantasy Craft Craftsman Bungalow, but my sweet little dachshund slipped a disk in her back and I had to set up a crate right where I usually set up my workspace, because she must be confined so she can't run and jump and re-injur herself. This is the last week of crate rest, so I will reclaim my workspace soon. She is doing very well and the vet expects a complete recovery. Given her breed and their back troubles, that is a big relief!

AND if I do all of that before the holidays, I want to make a Santa Claus face toilet seat cover in mini. There is a story behind that, but I have a meeting in five minutes and will save it for another time.

Jeri

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for cleaning the house first b4 I do minis..Ummm NO. I have limited energy. So there are days when I just say..Better Homes and Gardens is NOT coming to take photos so I am not going to worry about it.. B)

Tomorrow is another day!

I dusted once ... then discovered you have to do it again. Bummer. <_<

In mini-land, I've been working on the half-scale Christmas swap items and finding what a challenge it is to switch size-gears. Have a piece of paper nearly covered with scale equivalents. The little items are really cute (in my eye, anyway!), but finding/improvising elements to scale has been a real adventure! <_<

The Orchid is decorated for Halloween and patiently awaiting the arrival of yet another icebox. But for that and a couple of rugs, it's about finished. Will post pictures soon.

My 9-year-old goddaughter, Mollie, is coming over after school so we can start on her mom's Orchid. She has all kinds of great ideas, so this should be fun. We're not going to wire it, so it should move along pretty quickly, I hope! We'll prime and stain today. There's no school on Thursday, so we'll dry fit and start painting, papering, and maybe assembling. This time we're going to do ALL of the painting & papering before we assemble. And the windows will be the last items to be attached. I'll post our progress in the gallery.

Then, waiting patiently in the wings is the Westville. Have any of you seen it in a TV commercial? I don't know the product (how effective is THAT advertising?? B) ), but it shows a little girl serving tea to her grandfather and assorted stuffed animals. The Westville is on a table behind the tea table. It just flashed past, but I caught the bay window and porch ... very distinctive.

Waiting for the Annabelle/Pierce to arrive. Nay, EAGERLY waiting for the Annabelle/Pierce to arrive! B)

Have been combing through galleries, blogs, and archives looking at Westville and Pierce builds. Such a lot of original and really delightful ideas. Can't wait to get started!

In real land, we're into the usual round of school activities ... with an 8th grade cheerleader and a sophomore debate contender in the family, there are always kids here or someplace to be. Poor dad puts on his chauffeur's cap September 1 and keeps a good book and the car keys at hand. ;)

And, of course, am getting excited about the NAME Pets on Parade House Party in KC the end of this month. Am signed up for several workshops. My fingers are itching!! :(

Ok, now I'm gettin' the real low-down <_< Have to do some laundry (should clean, but I'm using the injury as an excuse B) ) but then it's on to the gourd this afternoon.. Love knowing what everyone's doing 'cause I'm just basically nosey!!! :( Think I'll do some snaps and put my progress in my blog -- they'll be webcam shots -- and then put the good pics on webshots.

I am trying to finish up some projects. I have promised not to start any more houses untill next year. Can you guess how I am going to spend new years. B) <_< I am working on the circus wagon and finishing the castle. I also have been building bases for the houses and adding grass and such. It realy makes a big difference.

Oh, Wow! I'll keep him in my prayers -- been there (both hubby & me) and I know just how strenuous it can be when someone's between jobs....Something will come up soon for him, just keep plugging.

I once sold a car at a yard sale B) It's amazing what people will buy -- so, yes, put it ALL out (but absolutely hands off the minis)

Thanks Charlene!! The biggest part of the problem is that hubby is a HUGE procrastinator and keeps thinking that "something will come along". He also thought job hunting would be easy so he hasn't put much effort into it. Now that we've had to dip into some savings that was supposed to go towards buying a house, he's starting to get scared and what he calls "a little depressed". Plus he's been very sick for the last 3 1/2 weeks. Again, being the wonderful procrastinator that he is, he put off going to the dr. until last week, then the Rx that she gave him didn't really do the trick. He went back yesterday, with out having to be told more than once! LOL

We done several GS's over the years. Grew up with mom being a big garage saler. This will be the third one in 2 1/2 years. Just had one in early spring when Mom & Dad were here from Florida. Now that I have resolved to try to make my life a little simpler with less stuff (to make room for more crafting STUFF :() and make some $$ that we need we will have to do our best at it. I won't GIVE it all away, but resonable offers will be taken. I have some things that if they don't sell for my asking price I will sell on eBay instead.

Charlene I hope your finger gets better soon B), Jaimie, I know your hubby will find something soon, Greg and I had the same problem :) , not fun at all, hope the garage sale goes well for you.
Thanks Annette!

I am still working on the Garfield. Though we haven't done much the past 2 weeks. Been busy and have had company. I was just thinking if I get my chores done I may work on it tomorrow. I cannot stand to work on a project unless my house is clean. Strange obsession.
My house is always a mess! Well, messy to me, anyway. I can't keep up the clutter with a 4 yr old to take care of and hubby that let things go. ;)

Here's where I am with my DH:

I took my Garfield "apart" last night. All the furniture is out! Its all sitting neatly in a box. I had gotten a much better (& thicker) board for the turntable. I originally just had a thin/little board on the turntable holding the the house up. It wasn't enough to support the house properly. The Garfield was/is near a window in all the humidity we had. My base is a little bowed. Don't know if putting it on a thicker board will "un-bow" it, but at least now its much better supported. It was really difficult to get the house set on the turntable properly. The front half if much heavier then the back half. I finagled (sp?) it for about an hour before getting it to an acceptable position on the turntablel and the actual table! <_< It was after 10 pm when I was done putting the house on the tabel adn I was too tired to put all the furniture back.

Now I have to either put it all back or hide the box under the table where the Garfield sits. We need the room to be used to organzing all the garage sale stuff. All the boxes will be put in the living room me to organize and price it all. FUN!! YIPPIE! .... not

Charlene, sorry to hear about your poor finger. I hope it's feeling a little better today. Be sure and give it lots of rest.

Jaimie, I'll say prayers for your husband's job search. Is he feeling any better?

As for what I'm working on .... I've got a couple of nearly finished items that I'm going to work on this weekend, then on to my next mini projects.

As I've said before I'm actually working full time through the month of September and it sure cuts into my mini time. I don't think I'd like to work full time all of the time. I'm someone that needs a lot of sleep, and so I'm fairly behind at home and I really need my "me" time for reading and minis (okay and cuddling cats). Ray and I love to sit and read together - newspapers, magazines, books - and we often stop and read parts out to each other and have discussions. He's been getting a fair amount of overtime this month and with my working Monday to Friday - we've not had much time together.

Last weekend though I did enjoy a weekend workshop taught by Ladybug (Sue Anne Thwaite) through our local Miniatures Club.

Anyway, right now my mini-works include:

1. Orchid - roof is about 3/4 shingled - Ray and I should be able to finish it off on Saturday.

2. Dutch Baby House - This was the workshop project that I took under Ladybug. I've still got a couple more rooms to finish off and then I'll post photos.

3. Sew together the Halloween costumes for my dollhouse dolls.

4. I've got a kit (got it a few months back from HBS) to build a front porch. I'm hoping that I can get this built and use it for a Halloween scene. Last year I just decorated up the front porch of my Beacon Hill, but I'd like to be able to do a couple of scenes this year.

On the backburner, but not that far back:

5. Renovation of my Arrow dollhouse and farmyard. I've got some really neat trees that I'm looking forward to incorporating in this scene.

This evening I'm taking Simon (cat I've been looking after for the past several months) to a new home. He's a terrific cat (probably one of the best I've ever fostered), and I'd love to keep him, but my two females (spayed) aged 7 and 8 are not backing down. Simon is totally docile - think he must have some ragdoll in him. My girls on the other hand hiss, growl, spit and arch their backs even if he walks into the same room as they're in. We've had an upstairs litterbox for over a month, and I have to shut Simon in the basement at night and when Ray and I go to work. I need to restore peace in the house. The family that's taking him are letting me stay connected to be sure that he settles in.

-SUsanne

My Girls LOVE Ladybug!!! I give them money to spend on minis and they spend it ALL in her booth :D I love her stories she tells them too :p

I would love to see your project that you took with her!

Jamie, I hope your husband finds a good job soon. It's so hard on them when they can't find a job and it must be a lot of stress for you too. I will keep you in my thoughts & Prayers!

About messy houses :p I fit in very good with that one. I am working on 3 projects ;) The house used to be clean until I started my latest :lol: I think better with clutter around me though :)

Charlene, if they catch you playing with your minis, they'll give you work to do (Like cooking & cleanig ;) ).

Hi everyone. Great to see everyone so active. :lol:

I'm just finished up a roombox for a local miniature show. It's a scene from the house from the movie, "Sense & Sensibility". This scene will be part of my next full dollhouse. My dad and I are going to build it from scratch. No plans or anything. I'm just going to sit him down with the movie and then we'll draw something up and get started. Should be a fun time of mistakes and laughter.

post-508-1158721866_thumb.jpg

Now I'm also really into re-doing a Vermont Farm House into a haunted house. Or in my case, an abandoned house. I've surfed some really cool web sites about "urban explorers". Basically people who break into old buildings for fun and take photos. There are some really cool photos of old abandoned houses and I'm using those for inspiration. Only I might try to add some ghosts and some of the macabre.

And I'm trying to get my website back up and running. My hosting service...a good friend...doesn't always offer the best reliability as services go. I'm considering moving to a real web hosting service, but I don't want to insult him or hurt his feelings. But my site has been down for almost a week now. :D

I dusted once ... then discovered you have to do it again. Bummer. :lol:

<cackle> Kathy dusts twice a year. She told me it was okay to write my name in the dust, but I can't date it anymore.

I'm one of those people who can't do *anything* unless my house is clean. That includes sleeping. But I'm a virgo so it's to be expected.

Waiting for the Annabelle/Pierce to arrive. Nay, EAGERLY waiting for the Annabelle/Pierce to arrive! :D

<happy dancing> I checked the website today and mine shipped out yesterday. It'll be here on Thursday! Woohooo! And I've got an order from HBS arriving tomorrow. Double Woohooo!

Deb

Well I hvae added new pictures in my webshots album (I will blog it all here but for now my son is loading the pictures there for me :lol: ) You can see it by clicking here

Andrea.....Oh My Goodness!!! I LOVE your roombox dear! You have done a Splendid job on it!! Are you gonna have dolls for this one?

Well I hvae added new pictures in my webshots album (I will blog it all here but for now my son is loading the pictures there for me :) ) You can see it by clicking here

Tracy, the Westville is lovely! I'm very happy to have your as-I-build shots for guidance when I get started on mine!

At the moment I have three project on the go. Oh how I love to make my life complicated. Well... I have been working on a Beacon Hill for the past two years on and off and now I am just finishing of some paint work on a Buttercup. Now I have just begun to start work (very slowly) on a San Franciscan. I want to have it so it opens at the front. Yes it is a challenge.

After that I have ten other houses still in boxes to keep me busy!

Wow, I could only dream about having that many houses at my disposal! Last night I was talking to dh on the phone about a very tragic situation that is going on in my friends family. I wont go into details but let me just say that this woman was my friend, decided to dump me because I was boring, made friends with someone else and now her life is in the toilet.

I told Fred that if I never had anyone to talk to and all I had were my miniatures, That would be fine by me! He agreed with me.

Okay not to say I am going to be the crazy dollhouse lady with 1000 dollhouses roaming the neighborhood..but I would rather occupy my mind with the house than the drama of her situation.

Anyway, I have other friends...and many other dhs in my dreams.

Okay not to say I am going to be the crazy dollhouse lady with 1000 dollhouses roaming the neighborhood..

:) Of course you won't be roaming the neighborhood -- there will be too much mini-housework to do to permit you to even leave home! ... heeeehhheeeeee

hi there im a new girl just thought i would tell you all im working on a dollshouse but ive turned it into atiny little cafe, after i went to my fav place brighton i had tea in a lovily cafe called mockturtal they do the best cheese on toast in sussex, my cafe im makeing is based on that and i have to say it looks real i wish i could clime in and have a cup of tea lol

Hi Jackie and welcome to the neighborhood,

Do you have any photos of your cafe? It sounds wonderful! I've never been to the UK but I've always wanted to go - how neat to have a little English Cafe' :mellow:

Heidi - hugs going out your way and amen to what you said! I'd much rather have my little calming miniatures and houses than "friends" who bring chaos and drama into my life - got enough of both all on my own :) And you've always got all your mini friends here.. even if we are long distance.

<hug>

David

I can officially say that I have started the Arthur yesterday. This house is so much fun. After building the Garfield, this is so simple and fast! I will post some pics as I go along. Going out to buy some more skinny sticks for wood flooring. Bye

Heidi - hugs going out your way and amen to what you said! I'd much rather have my little calming miniatures and houses than "friends" who bring chaos and drama into my life - got enough of both all on my own :) And you've always got all your mini friends here.. even if we are long distance.

<hug>

David

<nodding in agreement> What he said!! (and anyone who thinks you're boring has obviously never really listened to you. You're far from boring dear)

Deb