Dollhouses and kitties

Just One More

I have been keeping all my dollhouses right at the edge of the tables so my kitty, Twiggy, will stop getting the pillows off the beds. She used to jump up on the tables and grab a pillow in her mouth and bring it to me meowing like, "look what I found for you. " With the house right on the edge she couldn't jump up and get them anymore. The last two nights at around 4 AM she has brought me two pillows and a little throw rug, waking me up to show me. I don't know how she does it. She is very careful and has only knocked anything else in the dollhouse over getting the pillows one time. I've tried closing the doors where I keep most of the houses but the other two kitties like to sleep in those rooms so they wake me up to get in them. What is it with kitties and dollhouses? Usually once the house is finished and furnished they lose interest but not Twiggy. I guess it's a good thing it's only pillows and little rugs. It is kind of funny but a few of my favorites have just disappeared.

• Like 1

I've been lucky that neither Basil or Jasper have been interested in being near or in my mini houses. Except one time.... Jasper tried to hop on the Newport, but the roof was in dry fit and he fell right off. :lol: He's never gone near another house. :hmm:

When I move my houses around, though, I drape foil around them to keep curious Jasper from inspecting the changes. He loses interest in about a week or two.

There is some feline instinct for seeing how small a place they can fit themselves; and wee little things are like bugs and other small items that seem to fascinate them. I'm violently allergic to cats, so although I like them I'll never have one as a pet.

Halo likes to be in them while they are under construction. She loves when I bring a new house home, or start a new one. But once stuff are in them she doesn't bother them, thank goodness.

That's how Twiggy used to be, just sitting in the houses being built. I'd love to catch her doing it just so I can see how she gets the pillows without messing up the whole little room. She likes little baskets too but now I attach them with poster putty.

I thought of that but was afraid she might drag the whole bed out. :lol: I started attaching the little doileys I use as afghans on the beds with a pin and so far, she hasn't tried to get them off. It's mostly the pillows she likes. Maybe if I stuff them with pellets they wouldn't be as appealing to her. Another of my kitties likes the little stuffed animals I use with my dolls. I had to put them all away because she kept bringing them to me. She doesn't like Beanie Babies because they have pellets. My cats never go outside so these little things are like prey to them. At least they don't chew anything up.

I cut a big piece of plexiglass to fit the opening of my farmhouse. Works great with cats, but makes it a chore for me to play with the house. I left it open for one second and my cat Robby chewed through a lamp wire. Sigh. What I put up with for cats... :)

That would be awful. I don't have any of my houses wired. I had some plastic on the front once but it didn't seem as much fun not being able to just reach in and adjust things. It does help keeping the house right at the table edge because kitties can't see as well what's in the rooms if there are no chairs etc to jump up on. I know she isn't actually jumping in the rooms, just somehow snagging the pillows. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

My previous kitty would not touch my dollhouses, either finished or in progress! He was very good about not bothering "Mommy's" stuff! My new little guy, pictured in my avatar, is facinated by dollhouses!! If I left my Fairfield on the dining table, he would poke a little paw in and move furniture around. He didn't take it out..he just moved it around! And he always had a pleased look on his face while doing it!!

Luckily our youngest Bod, is the only one interested, and he is only interested when I'm in there working. He likes to watch me through the windows as I work! I sometimes think he is making sure I'm doing it right. When my husband is building real size furniture he will march in the room every hour or so, jump up on the project and inspect it all over, then jump down and march back out. My husband says he feels like he's being judged on is work and his progress.

Hey, I am so thrilled you posted this thread. For a couple of weeks, I wanted to post a thread called "Please post pics of your cats in your dollhouses".. I wanted to see cute pics of cats nestled up in dollhouses as I have seen them years ago. Could you all please post pics of your kitties in the houses? Through the windows, or anywhere else.

Thank you, Holly!

I so enjoyed all these pics of kitties owning dollhouses. All the puppies were so cute as well. And one of my favorite was Picasso sleeping on his back with his feet in the air!! What a beautiful bird. He seems so affectionalte.

Oliver likes getting into dollhouses when he's not feeling good. He picks a room to sleep in.

post-6-0-18149400-1352078840_thumb.jpg

Ginger has gotten to where she wants to get on top of all of my dollhouses, but I think she's taking this "barn cat" thing a lil too far!

post-6-0-33421500-1352078867_thumb.jpg

I have a photo of one of my cats with her head sticking out the front door of my original Beacon Hill. I called Her "Catzilla"! The one I am building now (Beacon Hill Mark II) is a cat-free zone and will continue to be so upon completion. I am getting a piece of plexiglass cut for the back so I can reduce the dust. I have also been asked to show this house at a church event next Spring, so I will need that plastic back to ensure that the contents of my house are not "rearranged" so to speak.

• Like 2