Is Warping an issue with your Greenleaf?

debramt

Hello folks, I'm new to the forum (yes I've introduced myself) and hear from retailers to avoid Greenleaf houses because of warping (the comment being that RGT houses use 3/8 in plywood and GF uses 1/8 in.). Is this something I should be concerned about, especially if I build a 'large' house such as the Beaumont or Beacon Hill?

thanks everyone,

Debbie

IMO "warping" is the excuse retaailers give for not carrying Greenleaf kits. The only time I had an issue with a warped piece was on one of my floors for the Dura-Craft Cambridge. I dampened it, laid it between two sheeets of waxed paper with a lot of old nursing textbooks on top to weigh it down flat, and waited until it was dry; no more warp. I either stain or prime both sides of the ceiling/ floor pieces and prime both sides of the walls, so I haven't had any problem with warping.

I like both Greenleaf and RGT and all wood warps regardless of the thickness. As Holly says, wet it and weight it. Once pieces are fitted together and glued, warping should be minimal. Some warping can be stubborn but it's not anything that can't be handled.

Warping can also be caused by poor storage. So if you buy an older house (i.e. off eBay) without knowing how it has been stored, you might have warped pieces where if you bought the same kit directly from Greenleaf you wouldn't.

I have experienced warping on some of my houses... on the Orchid it was probably due to it being stored in a damp apartment (my own fault) and on the Fairfield it was because I painted one side and not the other (also my own fault). Live and learn. :lol: It was inconvenient but nothing that couldn't be dealt with, and if you really like the style of a particular house, the reward of completing it is going to be greater than the little inconveniences that occur during building. (And whether it's warping or something else, *every* brand has something inconvenient about it!)

Once the house is assembled and glued, the tab and slot construction really locks in the pieces in place. It would be difficult for the parts to warp after construction is complete.

Actually, as Brae said above, all wood can warp. I think it's a lot easier to straighten out a warp in a thinner piece of wood. :D

In the rare instances where there was a little warping in a Greenleaf house, simply forcing the parts into place and heavy clamping while the glue dried took care of the problem without having to dampen and use heavy weights.

One advantage to the thinner wood construction is that the houses, even the largest, don't weigh so much that you'll need a crane or backhoe to move the completed structure.

• Like 2

I have had my Garfield for several years, house half assembled and sheets out of box, stored up right though I tried to store them firmly.............the only thing that has ever warped was two small pieces of the roof that happened when I glued the fabric covered cardstock onto the wood. I just put it under some heavy stuff and will be fine. The wall board I pasted on on bigger pieces is fine and the wallboard I put on already constructed areas is ok too.

like they said, any wood will warp and I think yes thinner pieces would be more likely to warp but I have had really good luck. I would tihnk if you store these in a garage or someplace like that..........be sure to cover well with plastic garbage bags or any kind of plastic taped on firmly

Like everyone else, I've had only one piece of one house that was warped. By the time I applied primer on both sides and put it in place (it was a wall), the warp was long gone.

I really don't understand why some shops will dismiss the Greenleaf houses. Yes, they're thin...which makes them look much more to scale, in my view. And certainly lighter and easier to move around, both while building and in your home. Not to mention their angles and curves which are much more appealing to my eye than the houses that look not much more than boxes stacked on boxes.

• Like 1

Thanks sooo much for all the fast responses to my question re: warping. Sounds like this is not a problem I should be worried about. I love the detail of the GL dollhouses, and am not expecting a problem. Just trying to avoid any big issue because this is our first build.

Really appreciate the feedback from everyone...

Once the house is assembled and glued, the tab and slot construction really locks in the pieces in place. It would be difficult for the parts to warp after construction is complete.

Actually, as Brae said above, all wood can warp. I think it's a lot easier to straighten out a warp in a thinner piece of wood. :D

In the rare instances where there was a little warping in a Greenleaf house, simply forcing the parts into place and heavy clamping while the glue dried took care of the problem without having to dampen and use heavy weights.

One advantage to the thinner wood construction is that the houses, even the largest, don't weigh so much that you'll need a crane or backhoe to move the completed structure.

I second that-- especially the backhoe part...! The San Fran SF557, made of 3/8" MDF, was an absolute bear to move around, and cost me a princely sum to ship. (And then it fell apart during shipping, which was mostly my fault because I didn't pack it properly, but the Greenleaf Willowcrest that I shipped at the same time didn't fall apart like that, or strain my back nearly as much...!)

Debbie, since it's your first build you might consider getting one of the newer laser cut dollhouses (like the Beaumont) as opposed to one of the older die cut houses (like the Beacon Hill). The laser cut houses require a lot less prep work (sanding, etc.) and the pieces fit together more easily, so I think even if you did have warped wood it would be easier to deal with. Of course, a lot of us built die cut houses for our first builds and they turned out just fine, but I think the experience of building a laser cut kit is closer to the experience of building one of the RGT or other brands that use MDF, since it's quicker and you get the gratification of completing it and decorating it sooner!

Debbie, since it's your first build you might consider getting one of the newer laser cut dollhouses (like the Beaumont) as opposed to one of the older die cut houses (like the Beacon Hill). The laser cut houses require a lot less prep work (sanding, etc.) and the pieces fit together more easily, so I think even if you did have warped wood it would be easier to deal with. Of course, a lot of us built die cut houses for our first builds and they turned out just fine, but I think the experience of building a laser cut kit is closer to the experience of building one of the RGT or other brands that use MDF, since it's quicker and you get the gratification of completing it and decorating it sooner!

My next house (well, after the Buttercup, which will be a caretaker's cottage next to the Garfield) will definitely be a laser-cut house. I have my eye on the Diana. Wow, less sanding? More of the fun part? That's for me!!!

I had said no problem with warping but I did finally have warping..........but it was because I used wallpaper paste to paste the card stock to the inside roof pieces and it was damp enough but all you have to do is take a spray bottle, spray one side fairly well.............then put weights on it till it dries. I assume it is unlikely to warp once it is all glued together well.........

Cheryl

like someone said ANY wood would warp if it gets moisture or humidity.

Cheryl

• 2 weeks later...

That's just an excuse from retailers to not carry Greenleaf Dollhouse kits for some reason. It's not true. Warping will NOT cause any problems when building your kit. I have built many Greenleaf kits and I have had warped sheets. I have not had to take any action to straighten them. They straighten themselves up as you assemble your kit. They do not hinder the build in any way and they do not affect the finishing of the dollhouse either.

The only time that warping is an issue is with front opening panels. You have to make sure that your front opening panel is straight or your dollhouse will not close correctly and the warp will be highly noticeable. Greenleaf only has one front opening dollhouse and I had no issues with the panel. If your panel is warped, just soak in it warm water and put out to dry with weights on top to make it straight.

This is not a Greenleaf kit specific issue either. RGT front openers, have the SAME problem. I know, because I have built front opening RGT models before and they have had warped front panels. MDF also warps. Don't let them tell you otherwise. Wood, of any kind, is susceptible to warping. The good thing about Greenleaf kits is that the wood is thin enough for the warp to not be a problem. Struggling with thicker warped 3/8"th thick plywood is another story all together. Trust me.

• Like 1

Dear More Minis,

Thank you for your comprehensive response. YES, I suspected all that you said was TRUE, i.e., Retailer ploy, generally not a problem for folks (people tend to be quite vocal about issues) and that if there was a problem, the 'fix' is easier than thicker wood. My husband and I are very excited to receive our 'Laser cut Beaumont' which is in transit from GL.

You'll all hear more as we begin this journey over the months to come...

many thanks,

Deb

<sigh> I love the Beaumont!

I could almost hear you sigh, Holly, so I had to see what that was all about. Um. I understand! And I thought the Garfield was big (and expensive)!

But look at it this way, the Beaumont is a very formal house. How much fun could it be building a hotel? Or a mansion? Sour grapes? YOU BET!

• 1 month later...

I have not had a warping issue that I couldn't fix. The issue I have is that I buy a lot of old kits from eBay and craigslist and they are brittle. Just like you don't want them stored in a damp area, you want to be careful about an area that is too dry. I love salvaging kits. I am finishing an Arthur that is over 20 years old and the Jefferson I am getting ready to start is even older.

I have done woodworking for a long time and both of these situations (warping/brittleness) are issues not matter how thick or thin the wood might be.

I would also suggest that if you store a kit for a while, store it flat. I realize that may be tough in some cases as they take up a lot of space, but if a kit is upright and is not all full sheets, the weight pushing down on the smaller sheets will put a little stress. If you have to stand them up, try to get them as straight up as possible so there is no undue stress on the sheets.

What Greg said. I found that dampening the wood and putting a sheet of waxed paper over it and loading it down with my old Nursing textbooks until it's dry goes a loooong way towards taking the warp out.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I would've read this feed before purchasing my 1st dh. I too was told to stay away from the GL brand houses for my 1st house because of warping and difficulty and the prep work that has to go into them and was advised to build a RGT's. I was told the RGT's would be more "user friendly" and for a 1st attempt it is well worth it. Now, I must say - I am happy with my purchase, it is coming together well and I am having a great time. However, I was a little disappointed since I had my heart set on The Storybrook Cottage. I'm so grateful that I found this forum and its taking away the fear of building a GL. I can't wait to start on the Storybrook, I'm looking forward to building something that takes a little more skill (I should probably finish #1 before I say that! LOL). I see it being a quaint little book shop in Ireland somewhere named Nana's. LOL

Oh, and P.S. - 2 of the 1/2" house beams for the RGT were in fact, warped. It took 2 days and a ton of patience to get the bow out of them enough to attach them to the house. But I did, and now, I could do anything! LOL

• Like 1

... I too was told to stay away from the GL brand houses for my 1st house because of warping and difficulty and the prep work that has to go into them

I've run into dollhouse shop people who said the same. They obviously hadn't assembled a Greenleaf house. Their loss!

... I had my heart set on The Storybrook Cottage. I'm so grateful that I found this forum and its taking away the fear of building a GL. I can't wait to start on the Storybrook, I'm looking forward to building something that takes a little more skill (I should probably finish #1 before I say that! LOL). I see it being a quaint little book shop in Ireland somewhere named Nana's. LOL

Ummmmm ... after poking around in the forum for a while, you'll find that a number of us are juggling multiple builds. Welcome to the hobby! :)