Is Warping an issue with your Greenleaf?

debramt

I've run into dollhouse shop people who said the same. They obviously hadn't assembled a Greenleaf house. Their loss!

Ummmmm ... after poking around in the forum for a while, you'll find that a number of us are juggling multiple builds. Welcome to the hobby! :)

I wish I had the room for multiple builds!!! I'm building this on 2 old end tables in a 3 season room - and this is NOT the season hahaha!

My local shop owner also doesn't much care for GL, but they sell them. He has built several. But I think his thing is is all the prep work. He builds them in the shop for customers, and I'm sure that slows him down having to punch out and sand pieces. He always has 3 or 4 going at a time. So, I can see that. And I'm wondering if at some point he didn't have a customer unhappy with the thickness, thinking it wasn't as sturdy for a child to play with. So from the standpoint of building for customers, okay.He has never mentioned warping as a problem to me. He has talked about wiring,how it is harder to make grooves for the wires because you have to be careful not to go too deep. Again, time issues. He doesn't push selling them, I even heard him tell a customer once they didn't sell them, after I had just pointed some out to her and she liked it! Oh well.

I was at Ernie's Attic a few weeks ago, and a customer had called in with questions. She wanted the Lily. And they were trying to talk her out of it, saying it would be too hard for a first house because of the sanding and all the pieces. Of course I had to put in my 2 cents, but I bet most of that didn't make it to the customer on the phone.

Well of course there's prep work! Comparing the retail prices of the various brands of kits, Look at what you get when you're willing to invest a little time in removing pieces, sanding them and dry fitting them together, plus the ease of bashing them into something totally unique and YOURS! And I suffer under the delusion that, as this is a hobby for me, taking the time to do all the prep is part of the pleasure of turning the kit into a lovely little house.

And they were trying to talk her out of it, saying it would be too hard for a first house because of the sanding and all the pieces.

Well, this is what I heard too. I really should add in that I don't think the lady at my local store was being malicious or anything what she told me was that for a first house, go with the rgt's. She added that the greenleafs are thinner, could warp or be warped and all the sanding punching and wood defects could be over the skill level of someone looking to build their 1st house and could turn them off from the craft all together. She also mentioned that GL is not the way to go if it is a gift for a small child (this is not the case anyway) but that it can be for a little girl that is mature enough to understand that it is delicate, around 7 or 8. SHe did say that she also loves the designs of the gls, but again - do one 1st, make sure I like it and can do it before I jump in over my head and end up hating it.

I used to " freelance" for a dollhouse shop several years back. They were afraid to build the Greenleaf dollhouse kits. I asked them why because I didn't have as many years as they did building. They just felt it was too domplicated for them and that they made money faster with the other houses.

Well, I made a good profit building Greenleaf kits for their customers who wanted it. It was great cause I built them and most times the shop painted, decorated and electrified them. I was so sad when they closed their doors. I remember putting a beacon hill together for Christmas in Three weeks and I was 8 months pregnant and had a full time job... Wish I had that type of energy now :( but they were so excited that I completed it in time.

I think people get nervouse when they see so many parts and they look at all of that instead of the small steps it take to get there. Really, if they did a step a day, they would be finished in no time too. I always tell people to get what you want cause you'll never be satisfied till you do have it. I'm happy to hear you still intend on getting your storybook cottage Tara :)

Well, let me tell you about RGT and warping. I bought a Victoria's Farmhouse. The roof and third floor were warped. Really BAD. I put it together with glue and nailed it. In the middle of the night, it came apart with a loud bang and tore the enitre one side of the house apart, not to mention scared me to death and my cats went under the bed in two seconds flat. Even the neighbor heard it. I called RGT and complained. They said, well, how long have you had it. I had just purchaed it. They told me to replace the parts it would cost so much. I told them that was not satisfactory. I have not purchased a RGT since and will never. This was 4 years ago. That kit was wood and not MDF and it was bad. Also, I found out that the store that I purchased it from buys seconds, which this was. Hello, tell the customers its a second and charge less if its not original. Oh well. live and learn.

In the middle of the night, it came apart with a loud bang and tore the enitre one side of the house apart, not to mention scared me to death and my cats went under the bed in two seconds flat. Even the neighbor heard it.

Oh wow... the other night my electric toothbrush fell down and scared me (didn't know what made the noise until the next morning!) and I slept the rest of the night with the light on. If this had happened to me I'd probably be under the bed, too. :lol:

I've run into dollhouse shop people who said the same. They obviously hadn't assembled a Greenleaf house. Their loss!

I travel a lot for work and have been in several mini shops. I asked a couple specifically why they do not show or sell GL and they have the same excuses about building difficulty and appearance. One shop displays many kits assembled, but not decorated. I thought it was funny that she talked about appearance, but did not display how beautiful these homes can really be.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone considered the bottom line...? Very possibly the profit margin on the Greenleaf houses/kits is not as large as the others which, of course, would lead these dealers to push one brand over another.

• Like 1

I bought a "House That Jack Built" Kotton Kandy made of "cabinet-grade" plywood, which is beautiful, but one roof panel was warped. After a couple rows of wood screws and a whole lotta cussing, I finally got it together. Boy, was that a pain!

My Spring Fling kit from GL last year was a bit warped, and I just had to use some extra masking tape to fix it. IMHO, Greenleaf lasercut is the best kit out there - light, beautifully detailed kits that are cut precisely, need a minimum of sanding, and are easy to put together (with a little patience, lol).

• 4 weeks later...

My half scale Rosedale warped and with the area being around those stairs it was hard to deal with. I eventually gave up. But I didn't blame the house. I blamed the dollhouse builder!

I would like to try again. Perhaps the half scale authur would be easier.

• 2 weeks later...

When I went to buy my first miniature house ,I was told Greenleaf miniature houses were no good.So I bought a RGT house .And I wish I would have bought Greenleafe first. RGT cost more and I had to add alot of extras .I read in a book about miniature dollhouses and it said you will pay more for a RGT house and get less .But a Greenleaf you get more for less. money.It's true.I bought the Garfield and it has a lot of nice pieces and lots of pretty trim.I don't think miniature shops want to sell the Greenleaf because they are less money .and more extras .

There is a mini shop two hours from where I live and I remember the first time I went there the lady behind the counter asked me if I was building a house currently. I told her I was working on the Gloucester and about the other GL houses I had waiting. I've never seen a nose turn up so quickly. She said oh that's nice but those really aren't good quality and she tried bad mouthing them. I think she could see she wasn't getting on my good side because she quickly stopped talking and walked away. The second visit went a little better. It was a different sales girl and her only comment was to suggest reinforcing the joints and floors with some finishing nails. That really helped when I built my Gloucester. Just dawned on my that I didn't do this with my Arthur but I did put it together with a LOT of wood glue so hopefully that will be enough. Yes, I've had warping, especially the front door of my Gloucester but even with that I prefer GL due to the detailing and uniqueness of their dollhouses. Plus, the best part is how affordable they are. I got to work a little on my Arthur this week and I could see the draw backs of die-cut but oh boy is it cute. Guess it becomes worth the extra effort when you finish and you are left with this utterly adorable dollhouse. I have a Holly Anne dollhouse coming to me this Christmas and while I'm excited at the quality of the wood I am scared of the bulky weight. GL houses are so much easier to move while working. Oh, and if anyone is interested, even after hours and days of pressing, dampening, painting of both sides and then pressing some more I never could get the warp out completely, but my solution was to add another latch to the bottom of the door as well as the top so when it's closed it is hardly noticeable at all.

Well, someone else in this forum could tell you a story, but she hasn't -- so I will. So many people think that once you buy a dollhouse (yeah, even a kit), you just open the box, and voila! You have a house! Well, at least almost immediately!

Um, no. This is a hobby, folks. Enjoy the build! I started my Garfield last August (no snickers, now!), and while I'm almost done, it's still talking to me and telling me what I shoulda done!!! (don't laugh, Holly! I finally believe you!) I don't remember ever having a hobby that has totally taken me over -- to the point where I wake up in the middle of the night to try something I dreamed about -- and I love it!!!

While a dollhouse kit might be at the upper end of the products that a mini shop sells as far as cost to customer, the actual cost:profit ratio is not. Not only that, but the sooner you get that dollhouse built, the sooner you start buying all the little bits and pieces for which that cost:profit ratio is HIGH! Don't you think that store owner knows that? Don't you think that figures in? Warping? Maybe. But we've seen here that GL is not the only mfr with a possible warping problem. ANY wood product, if not kept in a decent tem/humidity environment is apt to warp. The detail and range of the GL products is extraordinary (in my no so humble opinion), and I, for one, will keep on building!!! So, if you have concerns, check it out, but be realistic!

...it's still talking to me and telling me what I shoulda done!!! (don't laugh, Holly! I finally believe you!)...
I would NEVER laugh! I figured it would happen sooner or later.

• 5 months later...

I recently had a warping problem on the Garfield that I could not cure. The Entry hall and front room of the floor had warped badly. I emailed Greenleaf and had a new piece of floor in no time. No hassle either, just a nice email stating they were sorry and a new piece was on the way. I cannot complain about their customer service it was great!

Cass