Made a doll

alycemina

Hi all,

I havent posted for a while but I have been busy learning how to make dolls. I am posting below my version of Sargent's madam X and caroling dolls I made at the request of a friend. I hope you are all well and having a good start to the new year.

Alyce

post-1825-1294032187_thumb.jpg

post-1825-1294032200_thumb.jpg

post-1825-1294032230_thumb.jpg

post-1825-1294032241_thumb.jpg

These are wonderful Alyce, especially Madame X - she so much like the portrait. Did you take classes to learn how to do these? I bought Jamie Carrington's videos and found those really helpful.

Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback! My poor husband is just about the only one who sees them, and he dutifully oohs and ahhs. I have jamie's book which is so helpful, but mostly it has been try try again.

Your dolls are nice,especially madame X. Question for you doll makers. Do you make the wire armature and then sculpt the whole doll and bake it or do you do,say, the body,bake it and add head and arms and bake again? Can you bake more than once? When I tried a doll it seemed I'd mess up a body part while trying to do the other parts. And also, has anyone tried the Michael's pack of a stone/clay type for only making dolls?Read the package and if it gets stiff while working,just go over with a damp cloth? Linda

Linda, I don't use an armature now, I sculpt the torso, neck and head as one piece and then the legs and feet from the knees down and the arms and hands from the elbows down as 4 separate pieces and bake them all together. Then I join the legs and arms to the body with twisted wire. This gives them a certain amount of flexibility and poseability and that way you don't have to worry about messing up one bit while you are sculpting another. Some people make posed dolls that are not flexible but still do the arms and legs separately and then join the parts together with little posts glued into each bit and others add more joints e.g. a neck joint so that they are even more poseable - lots of different methods - its just what each maker finds easiest I guess. You can bake polymer clay twice.

I do double, triple, bakes...i make the head first, put on wire, bake lightly, then add a torso and the wires for limbs, and then just put a tiny bit of clay where arms and legs go...bake, then make hands and feet and add clay to the already baked bits, then add the hands and feet, bake, then i paint with a heat set oil paint and do a final bake....this way nothing really gets messed up! LOL i had a horrible time years back, before doing this, because yep face would get messed up if i started work on chest! etc!

Ooo, I'm taking all this info in...very nice job Alyce!!! :groucho:

..This will sound so dumb..but if you've baked your doll...how do you attach wires-

do you make holes first before baking??I can understand a long twisted wire going through a body to connect arms and legs... :)

I dont know if you meant me too LOL i bake directly on wire, twisted wire...i do drill holes in back for wings when they are fairies though and I get nervous with my huge drill and the tiny doll LOL always kind of apologize to them for doing it! LOL

Llyn,I build a wire frame and sculpt the doll over that.The wire goes from the top of the head,down through the wrists and through the ankles.This has another advantage,this shows you EXACTLY what height you want your doll to be.If you can feel the tip of the wire through the top of the head and bottom of the foot,you're perfect. :)