work areas

nuttiwebgal

I know I have mentioned my fascination of other peoples work areas. so I thought I would share photos of my very messy but organised chaos.

in reality it doesnt look as bad as the photos show it....or maybe I just tell myself that because I look at it everyday. it was all contained into a bedroom but when gran came to stay it is now all out in the open in my formal dinning room that has never been used as such. junk room,bedroom, now computer/workroom

it suits our purposes!

1st photo is taken from the kitchen door looking to the frontroom doorway

post-9-1154103096_thumb.jpg

2nd photo taken from the frontroom doorway looking to kitchen door...our house is 96 yrs old and has many weird additions..the alcove that our computers sit in is one of them

post-9-1154103111_thumb.jpg

3rd photo is taken from the alcove looking to the actual area I work in when creating my master pieces!(cough)lol

post-9-1154103124_thumb.jpg

my floors are really sufferring but what can you do? Dh says when he gets me moved into the shed he will sand and redo the floors. so till than I just tell my self its war paint the floor wears proudly!

and there you have a view into nutti's world :wacko:

nutti :D

Oh Nutti!! I see a full paint carousel!! ROFL

You have all seen the photos of my Marquam. She is in the livingroom now cause she is so big and it is cooler in there. But you have SEEN my diningroom. It is still the same! Still a big ole catch all. We dont even use the diningroom table cause it is covered with stuff.

I clean it off and have good intentions but it gets covered again!

We only really use it when we have big sunday dinners and holiday dinners. My mom would be turning in her grave!

We ate EVERY meal at the dinner table. Every single solitary one! And now I am teaching my kids that you dont really have to.

Bad mommy, bad bad mommy. :D

lol...Heidi!

my kitchen is huge! we have always eaten in the kitchen. no need for 2 tables to clean off.

right now we have no eating table. we eat in the living room in front of the telly...when the boys were home we always ate at the table. but with just 3 of us seems silly....guess with gran here we should move back to the kitchen to eat....lol...but I grew up eating in front of the TV at her house on tv trays. that never happend at home! it was kewl. so I figure she fits right in to our lil family group.

nutti :D

Oh Nutti!! I see a full paint carousel!! ROFL

oh yes you do...I probably only have about 10 or so spots left. and since the Orchid color is darker than I want I have to go paint shopping again! :wacko: :lol:

Nutti,

That is an awesome work area you have there! Right now I'm working on the kitchen table. Of course I don't do everythign there. I do polymerclay in the living room in front of the telly - houses on the kitchen table (one at at ime) but if I ever get the junk cleared out of my office I'm planning to do more building in there and less in the kitchen - plus there should be room in the office to work on 2 houses at a time instead of one :D - I keep reminding myself of that to motivate me to finish sorting the junk.. so far it's not working.

-David

I have a little sunroom off our bedroom that's about 6' X 12'. In it I have a bookcase for kits & supplies, a huge metal desk with a plastic top that's my worktable (most of my pictures show some part of it), a bench seat I think I have some sandpaper stored in, a workbench base DH made for me that gets a plywood top each time I build a new house. I have a three-drawer "portable" toolbox (that holds the bare essentials I need, I take it on trips) sitting on top of my big red five-drawer rolling toolbox. I have all sorts of big (& small) plastic tackle boxes to hold beads, doll parts, woodsies, etc, and one toolbox devoted to scupting materials for dolls/ food. I also have a stack of boxes of fabric scraps and a huge Rubbermaid plastic storage box full of lace & ribbon. Paint cans, sealer, thinner, wallpaper paste, plaster, buttons & Model Magic live under the desk and wallpaper, flowers & lumber are stored in cardboard tubes & large coffee cans wherever they fit.

This makes it imperative I clean & straighten after every build or two.

I sculpt in the kitchen because the toaster oven is on the back porch.

I do mini needlework while watching TV.

It has never occurred to me to take pictures of my workroom, when most of it shows up in the background of all my pictures (being as it's slightly larger than a postage stamp, but not by much!)

Ray has turned half of our rumpus room into a workroom for me. I have sets of shelves and I've stored my supplies in decorative boxes. That's another thing that I collect: pretty decorative boxes.

Then I've got a table to work on. Ray has hooked up an extension cord for me so that I can just plug my glue gun in (only electrical tool that I know how to use). If I need something else done I just hand it to Ray and he takes it into his workshop.

Behind my worktable and between my workshelves is a window with a cat tree (my dad built this for my cats) that extends from the floor right up to a large perch at window level. The cats love to lounge on this tree while I work.

My dining room table houses the Beacon Hill, and I don't miss using the table for eating. Kitchen is fine.

Now that my dad is doing so much better, I can return to my miniature world. My boss is shutting down the office for next week - so I can get started on a new project that I just got.

-Susanne

Supplies live in the big closet off the foyer; work is done on the dining table. The dining table now lives in the living room (well, the larger of the two rooms in our two-room apartment) so that it's possible to walk around it and/or put a leaf in for larger projects -- this was not possible in the dining cubby off the kitchen.

DH hates, hates, hates, me working in the kitchen or dining room or wherever, so he fixed me up a place of my own over the garage.

IMGP0185.jpg

These are the stairs to my studio.

IMGP0184.jpg

Here's the view looking in the door. I still have to finish cleaning up since the Nuthouse. I make such a mess, I always toss stuff on the floor when I work.

IMGP0183.jpg

Here's more of the room. I finally have a place for my old record collection.

As you can see, DH now also has a place for his discarded office furniture. Yes, that's the bungalow in the corner. I have a hard time restarting projects .

I recently changed the 30 year old curtains and took this picture to email to my parents so they could see. Its perfect timing that you asked the question about work space. For those of you that don't know... my husband, son and I are living in my parents house and they have moved/retired to Florida. My work space is in the back of the house in the room that my family always used as a living room. I have my little corner filled with DH stuff. Alot is stored under the table as well.

post-592-1154134678_thumb.jpg . . . . . . . . . post-592-1154134523_thumb.jpg

overview of the room . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . closer view.

The pannelling and couches are also 30 (or more) years old as well. Mom didn't know how to re-decorate! This house needs serious updating before they can sell, but she refuses to do it saying that they just want to get rid of the house, instead of doing all that work and making more $$. She wouldn't be the one doing any ofl the work!

I build my furniture kits at my computer desk upstairs, once they're stained or painted. I do that in my little 'craft' corner of the basement. My garfield is in our gameroom also in the basement but it's a finished room. My harrison is along side of the wall going into the game room. All my supples are in my corner so I just have to walk back and forth when I'm working on one of the houses. DH tells me that's why I'm not allowed to have anymore dh's, he doesn't want the gameroom to become the dollhouse room and he doesn't want to lose his work bench on the other side of the basement. Now come on, I would never do that. :D:wacko:

The spare room in our 2 bedroom apartment is doing triple duty: guest room, music studio, dollhouse workshop. My husband's music studio consists of two desks in an L-shape in one corner, the daybed is against the far wall, and I use the approx. 10"x10" floor space in between. I've got two small tables, 1 bookshelf and the closet as storage. There are only two houses currently under construction, and I'm already hearing complaints that 'the dollhouses are taking over the room'! :D Once they are complete, there are plenty of display corners throughout the apartment, so I should be able to build for awhile before I have get rid of them or we have to move! :wacko:

We have four bedrooms.........2 up and 2 down, so the ones downstairs got converted to our "obsession rooms". They're right across the hall from each other so we can chat and still be together while we work. Bruce's room is his gun room. The other room is my studio. And as luck would have it, I just straightened it up it this weekend so I'll post pictures.

My main workspace. I can tell the mini obsession has completely taken over because I finally moved my sewing machine off the desk and onto a shelf to make room for the work bench, bench sander and jigsaw.

I finally got around to setting up a place to put a backdrop and the kleig lights for taking pictures. It's great unless I need to get into the closet.

And under the tables is the waiting line of houses being patient for their turn. They chat with me while they're under there. But you can see that the Glencroft had to get out of its box and be put into dry fit on a shelf. I think it wants to keep reminding me that it rules the studio.

Cool topic Nutti!! I love seeing where everyone works!

Deb

Oh I am enjoying hearing how a 'small' hobby takes over everyone's house :wacko: If Don complains, I'll just tell him "everybody else's husband understands!" :D

When we moved 2 years ago, we downsized (retirement, y'know) from 3000 sq ft to 1500 sq ft but this house has a huge garage so my husband turned over the workshop building to me -- maybe he thought the stuff would stay there??? Yeah, right! I have a built-in worktable, plus my old kitchen table, loads of wall shelves, overhead storage, and a tiny closet to hide things in -- the things that keep screaming at me to build, build, build!

Of course mini stuff still migrates to the house and I find myself working on things in the office and I can see the sports bar sitting on the living room floor where DH put it yesterday after he built the base for it...

"everybody else's husband understands!" :D

Hmmm, I wonder if that'd work with mine... Actually he only complains that the little houses are taking over the 1:1 house (I can't call our house a "big" house when it's only a bit over 1000 square feet, counting the greenhouse).

My workroom is the 8x10 2nd bedroom in our 800sf house (basement is partially finished). I literally have a path thru the room which doubles as my computer/office/sewing/DH room. I cleaned up the computer desk this past week (needed room for a new printer). Since I just finished shingling my Jefferson roof, it's time to clean up that area this weekend. Hubby doesn't mind the mess at all.

I really dont know what my better half thinks. I know he is happy I found an outlet that makes me happy. He jokes with the girls to watch out. They might be forced to move when they become adults cause their rooms may become occupied with HUGE houses!

My husband understands but he loves to tease me and that's why he tells me no more dh's. He's like most husbands because he's happy I'm doing something that I love and he knows it relieves stress. He actually helps me alot if I run into a problem or I can't cut something (he won't let me use power tools other than the dremel) he does it. I wonder if I should tell him my dad got a dh from one of his friends for nothing (knowing he had a grand daughter he could give it to) and one of these days it's going to be over here or maybe I'll just surprise him :D . I don't know what kind it is yet, dad said it's gonna need alot of work, can't wait. :wacko:

Once my mini bits and pieces started to show up all over the house DBF build me a nice little work bench in the laundry room,with shelves and some storage space. Then when we remodeled the game room so he could have a bar I got a bigger and better shop in the laundry room with paneling, built in cabinets, a work bench, TV, Stereo, DVD player, coffee maker, and micro wave. I never have to leave.A few months ago we had to buy a new washer and dryer, and he insisted we get stackables so I'd have more room for my houses. I'm happy with the new arrangement.. He calls the shop Miniville.

Funny you should mention that Nutti!

My mini pieces began showing up all over the house too. Queen's Row sits in the living room that is now the dining room. I moved my computer desk into the den so all my office/computer stuff is together now.

I have taken over the garage, literally, so hubby is building his own workshop. He is using his vacation to dig the holes for the foundation. So far he is working on his 12th hole --these will hold the poles for the building. He's been doing pretty well, and just started. When hubby moves the tools out of the garage(his tools take up most of the space) I can move alot of my minis and have a permanent table for the kits to be in various stages. Right now if I have a small cottage, I work on the dryer in the laundry room where an old antique dresser holds my paint, clay, and bits and bobs. I dont' like to work in the studio because we're still hooking up the AC, so working with paperclay is out because of the humidity and heat.

Most of my collection resides right now in the spare room, and I'm cleaning that because I want some shelves int here to display dolls, etc. and am eager to start on the glencroft and finish the arthur. I can't begin the base for Olde Shelby cottage until I have somewhere for Mr. Bannisters emporium and the scrapbook store, since they are almost finished.

Funny you should ask that question Nutti. Space is something we are constantly re-thinking about here because we spend so much time building the minis.

Well, mine is still being organized and still under construction basically, but we're now ready to work in it. Except that Jimmy hasn't figured out that in order to find the tape you have to open the drawer--that's why the drawer is there--for organization .... sheez ....

Anyway, here's what you see when you open the door. The work table is 8 ft x 4 ft.

post-6-1154306269_thumb.jpg

There's also a small work station on the back wall, and a sink on the back wall. That's for if I'm doing wallpaper or we're doing something in which we need to stand.

post-6-1154306278_thumb.jpgpost-6-1154306289_thumb.jpg

I have my paints and stains all along one wall. I need to bring the rest of them from the other house, since we'll basically only work in the work shop now.

post-6-1154306340_thumb.jpgpost-6-1154306352_thumb.jpg

The other wall is devoted to tools and supplies.

post-6-1154306383_thumb.jpg

And this is the way out.

post-6-1154306402_thumb.jpg

There are also "loft" spaces in the ceiling to put things in, but I forgot to take a picture of that.

I always wanted to build a dollhouse so when I finally decided to do it of course I had to pick out one of the biggest! I never realized how large the Garfield was until I started building it. Good thing I have a large basement! What is really a "workout" room tuned into my dollhouse building room. The treadmill is somewhere in the corner (collecting dust, sandpaper dust!) I guess someday I'll dust it off and will get back to using it. I would much rather build than workout! HA DH's gympack is somewhere back there too. He uses it when he can climb over all my "stuff" I have accumulated. Even though I am almost done with my Garfield, I will soom be building the Arther ;)

post-83-1154564440_thumb.jpgpost-83-1154564377_thumb.jpgpost-83-1154564310_thumb.jpgThis week Chris & my dad finished the holes for the poles to be mounted in! YEAH! :p We celebrated by having dinner at the Moose lodge last night. My dad helped him finish the last holes, so now we need to get the concrete and timbers. My yard looks like a bunch of meteors hit it! ;)

I took time out and finally put together my shelves and organized my room. The display room now is organized, but since it is only about 8 x 12, I can hardly wait for the studio to be finished and the new workshop to go up and hubbie's tools have a home! <_<

The old dresser Shelby Cottage sits on used to be Amanda's dresser, I saved it because of the drawer storage, it is stuffed with paper, I am a paper packrat. The old desk that the yard sale dollhouse aka Strawberry Hill sits on is my desk I had as a teenager in school from my old bedroom back home. The best thing about the shelves is they are collapsible and I can use them elsewhere if I wish. I like the way it is set up because I can turn and supplies are behind me, or in the drawers, if I need material or yarn, it's in the shelf buckets at the end.

It is fun to see everyone's workrooms, Linda, your workshop looks great! Jimmy does beautiful work!

I love seeing how everyone has their own area to work. By far Deb is way way too neat, er organized I mean. I have taken over the den as my work area, but once was my reading room so that's why you see the bookshelves in the background. I seem to be accumulating more of those handy plastic drawer containers. And I am considering emptying out the closet of non-mini related stuff, except I don't know where to stash that! Well, here is my space.....

You see the Marquam Hill on the table in the middle of having the tower painted.

post-318-1154568058_thumb.jpg

I love seeing how everyone has their own area to work. By far Deb is way way too neat, er organized I mean.

<cackle> I'm a virgo so it has to be organized, but it's only neat when I've just finished a house. When I'm in the end stages of a house, the floor can barely be seen. <_< I get into that "almost finished" zone and things get tossed on the floor or flipped over my shoulder coz I'm too into the building to bother with putting things away. When I finished the Lily, it took two days to clean up the studio.

Deb