Turning the wheel

Deb

There come times in our lives when we have to evaluate where we're at and make changes. I reached that point a couple of months ago when I realized I was waking up full of dread each morning and discovered that I never laugh anymore. So, I evaluated my life and decided to make some changes.

I hate my job. Not in a "my job is dead-end" or "I don't like what I do" kind of way. I really love what I do and fixing computers gives me a great sense of accomplishment. It's like a puzzle and I find it very fulfilling. But the place where I work is beyond hell on earth. It's not just me either........there are currently three EEOC and ACLU investigations going on. Everything from sexual harrassment to discrimination against people on FMLA. (If I tell you they fired a man for not calling in sick after he died of a heart attack so his widow couldn't claim the life insurance, that'll give you an idea of what kind of people run this place...........they just fired another man who's in the hospital paralyzed from the neck down after a car wreck. They said he was two days short of qualifying for disablity leave) About 80% of the people in my office are on some kind of anti depressant or psychotropic medication and I don't think they were before they started working there. I've been waking up crying in the middle of the night just thinking about going to work. So the time has come for me to leave.

I gave a great deal of thought to what I want to do with my life (now that I'm 44 and supposedly all grown up) and the only thing that really matters to me is minis. I'm not confident that I can make enough money doing it to replace my paycheck yet (believe me, that big check has been the reason I've stayed where I'm at for this long), so I developed a plan.

I found a company that will allow me to telecommute. They're based out of Boulder but everyone works from home. It's a direct hire situation and they're a stable company, so I don't have the worries of being an independent contractor. In fact, the VP is someone I've worked for before so I'm comfortable with the stability of the company. I can work from home and set my hours pretty much for what works for me. Between the amount of time I won't spend commuting, getting ready for work and all that stuff, and working part time, (which hasn't been an option in my current job), I'll have an extra 30 hours a week. I can use that time to build houses and make minis!! There are a lot of antique/collectible malls here where I can consign the selling of my minis at first and what I make from them will (hopefully) offset the reduction in wages. If all goes well and the minis take off, I can gradually reduce my time with the real job and focus on Deb's Minis and debsminis.com as a real business.

<deep breath> It's beginning to come together but it's been a lot slower than my impatient nature would like. I had my interview with the Boulder company last Friday and they said they'd love to have me work for them.............as soon as they have an opening. <sigh> They notified me yesterday of an opening and I grabbed at it. It'll probably be another week or so before I know if I got the account. If so, I'll start mid-August. If you've got any extra positive thoughts or can cross your fingers for me, I'd appreciate it.

So, that's where I'm at. It's been a major decision for me to make. I've been working since I was 14 and I've only had 4 jobs. Quitting isn't something I take lightly. I've only quit one other job for any other reason except for moving out of state. But this feels good to me. You know how some things just feel right? This does. Maybe it's because minis are the only thing I've ever loved doing this much in my life. I kinda feel like I'm standing on the edge of a cliff and getting ready to bomb the bridge before I've crossed it. It's sorta shaky, but on the other hand, it feels *SO* good.

I did something today that made me feel like Deb's Minis can be a reality. I took a deep breath and contacted the coordinators of the Denver Mini Show (at the excellent advice of many of you here!!!) to ask if they accepted unsolicited work for the exhibit at the show. They said yes!! <happy dancing> I've been excited down to my toes all day long with just the thought of getting to be a part of the exhibit. I know it's really not a big thing, but it means a lot to me as a starting point to step out into the mini world in real life.

I hope ya'll don't mind me going on about this here, but you're my mini world and if there is any place where I can express my hopes and fears where people will understand, it's here. (and a few of you have been holding my hand thru my decision making already and the support has been more appreciated than I can say)

I have a wonderful husband supporting me, equally wonderful friends lending me their shoulders to lean on, and this fantastic extended family here in the forum. <taking a deep breath and lifting my chin> I can do this.

Deb

Deb, you sure can!!! It's always difficult to make changes in our lives, but sometimes they're called for. There is never a good reason to remain unhappy so I say "go for it" with all your might. I have a feeling Deb's Minis is going to be a great success. You do beautiful work so I'm writing to wish you Good Luck in your new venture and your brand new lifestyle.

Wendy

I will say a lil prayer for you Deb.

Your story touched me. I worked for a company that treated it`s workers the same way when it came to sick leave and FMLA.

I was one of the unfortunate victims!

LSS: I was able to stay on short term disability, filed and got social security and received long term disability for 3 years.

You have great courage and I am happy for you!

Deb,

I know this is a right decision for you. Living under that kind of stress is litterally a killer - and I don't just mean the depression but with that kind of stress you have higher blood pressure, great chance of all kinds of illnesses and when you wake up crying thinking about going to work, sweetie, it's way past time to leave. What ever happens from here on out - leaving is the right decision! I have to say though I also think Deb's Minis will do great. And getting to see this first show is going to be a big step ;) You'd think that people selling there would be in competition with each other but what I found out is that most of the folks who do shows are really friendly and help each other along the way :D There's quite a group of them that travel the show circuit together. :D I think from where you are now only good things can come out of your leavng that place.

I'll definitely be lighting a candle for you :D

<hugs!>

-David

Wow, sorry to hear about your job Deb. I will think the most positive of thoughts in wishing for you to get the new job! Sounds like you need to get away from such an awful employer!

post-9-1153090537.gifpost-9-1153090537.gifpost-9-1153090537.gif

Go for it DEB!

you can do it! if anyone can it will be you!

I hate that your job has been so unbearable. unfortunatly that happens in alot of places and sometimes you just have to move on. it is a positive step you are taking!

cant wait to see what happens for you next!

we are all in your corner!

post-9-1153090733.gif

nutti

:blink:

Good for you!

Your houses are so unique and classy... you will do wonderfully!

It simply is not worth being in such angst over a job. Especially when you have such talent and the guts to step out on the skinny branch to follow your dream.

And good luck at the mini show. I'm sure you'll WOW 'em!

You go girl!

Carol

I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers Deb. I think you are doing the right thing in leaving because you will just make yourself sick if you would stay from the sounds of it. I think it's wonderful that you are getting the chance to make your mini dreams come true, they're so beautiful and I think that Deb's Minis will do great :blink: . I really evny you for having the courage to do this.

Good for you, Deb!

I think your plan is brilliant: it gives you enough time to devote to minis that you're really making a serious shot at success there, without taking away the safety net and making you risk everything so that you'd be tense all the time. Excellent move. However it turns out -- and I think you have an incredibly good chance of succeeding in a very tough market -- I doubt you'll ever regret the decision for even a minute.

Deb: I'm so glad you're going to try a new adventure. You are a very talented, courageous and brave woman. I have no doubt that with your work ethic and your great attitude that Deb's Minis will be a success. It is such a shame that so many companies don't realize that the greatest asset they have are the people working for them.

YOU WILL DO GREAT AND WILL SOON BE FAMOUS IN THE MINI-WORLD.

and we on this forum and say we knew her back when!!!!!!

Thank you so much for all the encouragement and positive thoughts. I'm sitting here teary-eyed reading all your replies. It means more to me than you can know. I'm so fortunate to have found a cyber home like this one and such great friends here. If it wasn't for all of you, this new world would never have happened for me.

I'm optimistic that all these changes will open up new way of life. Sometimes the best things in life come about when we reach the breaking point with bad situations. There are always so many cause-and-effect events that occur when we made a radical life change and, (being the virgo I am), I've turned this one up and down and sideways and I can't see a down side to it. Well, less money, but there are more important things than money. And if the minis do nothing more than balance my wages, I'll still be thrilled to death just to be able to do what I love so much. It's just a little scary taking that leap of faith, but having the support here has made me feel sooooo much better about it.

I got an email from the Boulder company this evening saying they'll be calling me in the morning. <crossing fingers> Hopefully, it will be with acceptance for the account I requested. I'll let ya'll know as soon as I hear something.

<giggling> I'm working on inventory already. I finished a buttercup in four days! And I started a Sugarplum this evening. I've got two Orchids, a Haunted House (I love that kit!) and a Lafayette waiting their turn too. So, it's a start on things and I'll go from there.

But for now, I'm off to bed. Since I need to be up at 8 (which is like 3am on my regular schedule) I should at least try to get some sleep.

Thanks again for all your support. You guys are just the best!! If it's possible to get 775 people together in a group hug, this is it:

{{{{{{{{{{{{GreenleafGang}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Deb

Hope the job in Boulder works out. As for building, unless you have a rock solid rep it'll more than likely turn a loved hobby into a hated job. If you really wanna go that route I'd strongly suggest building then selling, and not taking commisions. Customers more than not are stupid and unrealistic. They want the Garfield built and detailed with all types of mods at this time next week. for $500 and you supply the kit. The Thomases don't do commisions anymore. Loads of people on Starship Modeler have tried to go pro, only to find some schmeck wants his TOS Klingon Cruiser done up as a K'Tinga, in 2 days, and since they're providing the kit they're willing to give the builder 50 bucks.

Wow Deb! How you even survived in that job as long as you did is absolutely amazing! I could not have done that! People would have been running for cover because my stack would have blown ages ago!

You can do the minis and you will be successful! I know that you will!

Deb. you made the right decision to get out of that job before your health is affected. Working under those conditions is stressful and can lead to more problems than earning less money in the long term. I have experienced somewhat the same stress at my last job, which I quit. Good for you!

You will do great at minis because you love it so much. You are a talented, smart woman and you can do this. You will not be wondering at a mature age why you didn't follow your dream. You have such courage, wow.

Do not be afraid to place appropriate value on your creations. And despite what Andrew says, accepting some comissions can mean more money for the extras people want. Talk with mini shops to see how they work it. I know that the shop I work for charges for extras (electrical, inside decorating, etc...) and people accept it as due course. Set up your guidelines and stick with it.

Best of luck with your new venture.

Deb we believe in you and I know you can do it too!! Having your husband in your corner helps too and after seeing your work myself I am very confident that Deb's Mini Creations will be a success.

I left a well paying job when I had Sarah and I loved it and hated it all at the same time. It was hard walking away from so much money but here it is 5 years later and I am happy and content with what I have and happy that I am not in the "rat race" anymore.

Thank you for sharing your feelings with us. You can do it!! YOU can do it! YOU CAN do it! YOU CAN DO it! YOU CAN DO IT!! ;) :blink:

Wooohooo!!!

I just got off the phone with the company in Boulder and I got the account! I need to go do the background check later on today. (Good thing I don't kill cereal or murder axes in my spare time, huh!! ) It's the first step to where I want to go, so I'm all excited now. Or I would be if I were awake.

:( It doesn't start till August 21st, so I've still got some waiting time, but it'll be easier now that I know the end is in sight and there's a brand new beginning just around the corner.

Tracy, I really appreciate your assurances. I thought I'd remembered you saying you had made a similar decision in your life. Hearing you say that you've never regretted it makes me feel a lot more confident. Like you, I'm really tired of the rat race. The rats keep getting bigger and life is too short to keep fighting over cheese in the cubicle maze.

Josi, I appreciate your professional opinion as well. With the bonding people have with their dollhouses, personalized work would have to be a big part of it. <giggling> I ran a private school for 15 years and created individualized learning plans for their children with 110 parents every year. That experience might come in handy for getting someone to commit to a wallpaper scheme. :blink: Not that it can't be frustrating, but I know what to expect. I think the hard part will be figuring out how to set a pricing structure. I don't want to under value my work, but I don't want to price it too high either. I've been researching online, but haven't found a lot of pricing listed for completed houses. I'm open to any and all tips for pricing guidelines!!

How you even survived in that job as long as you did is absolutely amazing! I could not have done that! People would have been running for cover because my stack would have blown ages ago!

<cackle> Oh, people quite often run for cover around me. ;) Actually, they hide. I got passed around three different HR people last week questioning an unethical policy. I went all the way up to the regional HR director. They finally sent a supervisor to tell me they didn't want to talk to me anymore. Guess they figured they could sacrifice him if neccessary. <sigh> It's their normal way of doing things. But!! <happy grin> I won't have to deal with it much longer! I got a new job and I have a new business on the horizon! Yippppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! <throwing out hands and spinning in circles>

Deb

Congradulations, Deb!

You can do this! I wish you the best in your new ventures. Motts Mini's is the only place I have seen a pricing guide for custom built dollhouses.

A couple of years ago, I went to work for a small mom & pop company that decided my talents would best serve them if I worked from home. I have never been happier. I usually have a temp job during the winter because it is slow. Although Mike went back to driving truck, so I won't have to this year. I am an independent contractor, but it works out better for the both of us. I make more than I did on payroll and they don't have to pay as much taxes. I have thought about selling kits and other minis supplies at crafts shows locally and carrying inventory between shows, but that is still being pushed around on paper.

I have had jobs so terrible my only comment when I left was that the door would never hit my rear end on my way out. Ditto your mini prospects. All in all, now don't you feel better? (I'll never tell about those poor silent, limp Rice Krispies...)

All in all, now don't you feel better?
<going on pointe and twirling around> <leaping to the top of the roof and singing "Happy Days are Here Again"> <running thru a field of daisies in slow motion>

Oh, just a *little* bit better. :D

When will you let your "old" company know that you are leaving?

I'll give my two weeks notice around the first of the month.........and I'll be giving it to the senior Vice President of the western division, the VP of divisional operations and the VP of human resources. :p Oh, you can only imagine how unpopular that's going to make me. You see, the office that I'm in believes that things should be kept "in-house". They don't allow employees to have access to anyone higher than the director. The last time someone tried it, they were fired for "an unrelated issue" in a week. Then the director went around to every team meeting explaining that "what happens here, stays here".

I've written a very professional letter of resignation defining the issues within our office Honestly, it's the same type of documentation I would have written about a flawed project or process when I was training manager at Apple. But in this company, it's like planting a keg of dynamite with a long fuse and waiting for the fireworks after I click send. And it's not a vindictive matter either. I'm not after revenge. I just want someone high enough up the corporate ladder to actually see what's happening there. There are a lot of good people still working there who deserve to be treated better. Since no one else can speak up for fear of losing their job, I will on my way out. What are they going to do? Fire me?????? :blink: ;) :(

Deb

I just want someone high enough up the corporate ladder to actually see what's happening there. There are a lot of good people still working there who deserve to be treated better.

That's very kind of you to think of the others that are still stuck there. :D

Since no one else can speak up for fear of losing their job, I will on my way out. What are they going to do? Fire me?????? :blink: ;) :(

Deb

I'm sure they'll try something stupid like that. :p:p No worries on your part though, right? ;)

...it's like planting a keg of dynamite with a long fuse and waiting for the fireworks after I click send... ... Since no one else can speak up for fear of losing their job, I will on my way out. What are they going to do? Fire me??????

I really hate bullies and there's nothing worse than corporate bullies who abuse the very people they depend on to keep their company going. I am So proud of you Deb for getting away from them but even more so after reading that. It sounds to me like there are grounds for a pretty big class action suit against this company but of course when your home and family all depend on your job most people can't say anything no matter how bad it gets. Good for you! All they have to hold over your head is firing you and once you've quite there isn't a darn thing they can do! Good for you Deb! You go girl! :blink: ;) :(

-David