Tips for crown molding/moulding and floor boards?

JaimieMarvon

OK. Most of my windws in the first flloor of the Garfield are done. Now I can start on the chair rail. But since I had so much running around to do and one of my stops was Home Depot I deciede to as if they had a small no-nonsense miter assembly. LOOK what I bought today! Jorgensen Precision Plastic Miter Saw It was only $20. I am so excited... except it is wasyyyy to hot in the (Real) house (no central AC) to do any of that. So we are going to pop some popcorm and watch a movie in our 2nd floor bedroom.. the only room with AC. :blink:

Hopefully one of these nights it will be cool enough to play with my new tools! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE: I've muddled through the heat and I dove in and started on the crown moulding first instead of the chair rail. All my pieces are cut, numbered (I remembered that tip, thankfully!) and painted. I was about to put them up when I remembered another tip of putting the ceiling tile up before the moulding to hide the imperfections in cutting and such.

THEN I remembered that I was doing something different with the stairs to the second floor. Definatley not using the ones that came with the house (as they hid too much of the first floor), and possible changing the orientation of where they arrive into the second floor. I may have to cut the hole and/or spackle a new section in it so I have to wait on the ceiling tile and the crown moulding unitl I finish with the stairs! Ugh!

When I ever get to the ceiling tile I will remembering the tip of cutting/shaping a piece of paper first before cutting the expensive ceiling tile sheet that had to buy two of to fit my open living room, dining room and entry way of the Garfield.

I've been working on the stairs, here and there, for a few days now trying out different ideas. I think I have the final design now. I've had to use two stair kits but if it comes out like it is in my head I will be so happy!! Not only will it look beautiful but I will be extatic that I was able to accomplish the idea that was in my head!

Did anyone see the movie with Bruce Willis and Michelle Phiffer called The Story of Us? Its one of my favorite movies! Not only was it a great movie but I can't get the stairs that were in the house out of my head! I've never been in a hous ehtat had stairs like that and I really liked them! They come down from the second floor in the middle of the house and about 3 or 4 steps from the bottom, instead of going strait down like normal stairs there is a landing of sorts and then the steps kind of split off on each side, on side goes to the living room section and one to the dining room section.

post-592-1153925185_thumb.jpg view from LV rm section

post-592-1153925205_thumb.jpg you can see a bit more in this view how it splits and I love the rail!

In my house where the rail is will be the living room in front. If you are standing in front of the stairs looking up to the left will be the front door and to the right will be the dining room. There will not be a wall at the top of the stairs it will be open (except for a railing around the opening) and right next to the stairs to the third floor. Plus the underside of the stairs will be open (might need a support or two). It will keep the openness of the one big room like I want.

post-592-1153925825_thumb.jpg As you can see in this pic the original stairs to the second floor faced the front of the house and took up alot of room.

WHA-La! There you have it... my vision! Keep your fingers crossed for me! I can't wait to finish it! <_< :rolleyes:

had to buy two of to fit my open living room, dining room and entry way of the Garfield.

I had to do that when I did the downstairs ceiling in my Cambridge.

I have a bending stair planned for the Craftsman bungalow I'm drafting in 1:12.

I DIT IT! The glue on my stair design is dry and I tried a "dry fit". I think I accomplished what I set out to do, at least the basic "bones" of it! I really wanted to show you all.

post-592-1154103499_thumb.jpg Main Pic . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . post-592-1154103522_thumb.jpg view from inside the living room look straight at the stairs

post-592-1154103532_thumb.jpg looking down from 2nd floor . . . . . . . post-592-1154103547_thumb.jpg view from living room bay window

ok so now that the rough beginnings of the stairs are complete I cut the hole on the 2nd floor a little bigger to make room for the new stairs. I put of the ceiling paper and attached some of the cown moulding. I was also able to hang the two lights for the downstairs area, carefully lift the wall paper and run the wires through to the tapewire and attach.

It took me about an hour just to get the wires hidden and hook the lights up, but thankfully when I plugged it in and turned the wheel switch both lights lit right away! YEAHHHHH!! That means my wiring is still good with all the stuff I've done since I wired. I now have the two coach lights outside the front door and the two on the first floor.

I'm sure a lot of you know the excitement of the wiring game! I was so elated when both lights lit on the first try and I didn't have to go back in and work on it a second or third time! Whew!!! Makes me more confident for the next floor .... when I get to it!

Smooches to all my great new DH friends who "listen" to each others rants and raves so well!!! Thanks everyone.

post-592-1154402164_thumb.jpg . . . post-592-1154402277_thumb.jpg

. . . . view of moulding . . . . . . . . . . . . . . view with lights on! ;) Wha hooooo!! <doing the happy dance>

It took me about an hour just to get the wires hidden and hook the lights up, but thankfully when I plugged it in and turned the wheel switch both lights lit right away! YEAHHHHH!! That means my wiring is still good with all the stuff I've done since I wired. I now have the two coach lights outside the front door and the two on the first floor.

I'm sure a lot of you know the excitement of the wiring game! I was so elated when both lights lit on the first try and I didn't have to go back in and work on it a second or third time! Whew!!! Makes me more confident for the next floor .... when I get to it!

Smooches to all my great new DH friends who "listen" to each others rants and raves so well!!! Thanks everyone.

Wha hooooo!! <doing the happy dance>

Way to go, Jaimie!!! Looks really super (virtual applause from here)

BTW, I've been wiring for years and I STILL do a happy dance every time the lights work ;)

ooooo how nice they look!

I have really got to get over myself and tackle the MHM wiring so we can get on with the decorating!

you really are doing a wonderful job with this house!

an insiration for us all! :p

nutti ;)

Jamie, your house is looking sooooo great! I don't have the nerve to do what you did with your stairs...I feel like too much of a beginner still, and I realize now that starting off with a Garfield might have been alittle ambitious. But I'm plugging through, little by little.

Will you put bannisters on the stairs?

I really love what you've done so far, and congratulations on the lighting! It looks beautifiul!

Congrats on the wiring job. Everything is looking great!

I get a lil excited when I test a line and the tester lights up but it isnt the same when you turn on the juice and the REAL light lights up!

Jamie, your house is looking sooooo great! I don't have the nerve to do what you did with your stairs...I feel like too much of a beginner still, and I realize now that starting off with a Garfield might have been alittle ambitious. But I'm plugging through, little by little.

Will you put bannisters on the stairs?

I really love what you've done so far, and congratulations on the lighting! It looks beautifiul!

Yes, definately banisters! I have all the pieces, but need alot of spackle to fill in the gaps. I think I may paint the stairs all white (to cover the spackle!) and stain the banisters. Maybe Ill make treads (really thin!) for the step and stain them. Looks pretty in my head! LOL

I'm thinking that I may do the stairs later, now that I have the rough fit and the ceiling is complete. I glued the rest of the moulding this morning before work!!! I couldn't wait. Actually, going out to dinner with friends tonight so no itme to work on DH tonight. Had to get my fill in this morning! I have to finish the base board, chair rail and do something with that pass through window in the kitchen on the first floor before I can move on to the second floor.

Got some bashing to do on the secind floor as well. Might steal an idea from Irene and I' trying to figure out how to make a sliding wall for the bathroom. I want to close it off but not completely. So I thought I could make a wall that slides out of the way!! Another adventureous project!!

I love those tulip frosted chandeliers too!Your room looks so good!!

Just got those this weekend at AC Moore for 50% off!! Whoo hoo! The candelier was originally $23+

Of course the furniture was just a rough fit I couldn't resist seeing what it would look like.

I feel like too much of a beginner still, and I realize now that starting off with a Garfield might have been alittle ambitious. But I'm plugging through, little by little.

I am nearing completion of my Garfield and it was my very first building experience. I felt like I was "over my head" at times but just "plugged through" also. I'm very happy with the results. I am working on the landscaping now and a backyard deck. I just won another small dh yesterday and am looking forward to starting a "little" dh.

Hi, My name is Irene and I am a dollhouse addict. :o

Yes very much a part of DHA.... ;) :p Heidi, I see you are now a "SENIOR MEMBER" :p

Aha! I am in charge of getting the tables and coffee ready for the meetings..LOL

I started with a $20 1970s ebay find aka The HUD house, found 2 small dh`s at a yard sale that I havent touched yet, the MHM, and very soon an Orchid.

If someone had told me as a child that I would be building my own dhs with electricity and spending my allowances on furniture for it ( I just got a sewing machine with table) i would have slapped them! LOL

I am nearing completion of my Garfield and it was my very first building experience. I felt like I was "over my head" at times but just "plugged through" also. I'm very happy with the results. I am working on the landscaping now and a backyard deck.

Your house is looking magnificent! I love what you've done with it and the changes you've made. I hope mine turns out 1/10th as beautiful!