Tips for crown molding/moulding and floor boards?

JaimieMarvon

Does anyone know of a web-site or something that has a great tutorial about how to cut the moldings/mouldings? :lol: I'm just starting to get some wallpapering done and would like to completed the rooms with trims, chair rail, etc.

I have a mini miter box. The problem I have not cofidence with my cutting the angles! :D I'd like a little free training/reading, etc.

And which way is is spelled correctly? I see it both ways, which is making searching difficult. Thanks everyone!! :D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either miter or mitre is correct, dependent on whether your English is British or American. I have the Exacto miter box & I put a scrap of plywood in the bottom and use either an Exacto hobby saw or a Japanese pull-knife (I guess that's what it's called, it saws through plywood like a warm knife through butter). If it's fairly small stock I whip out the EZ Cutter! I guarantee my miters used to be a joke & now fit.

:lol: Miter or mitre; moulding or molding -- Guess it depends on your mood, your accent and which side of the Atlantic you're on?

If you subscribe to American Miniaturist, the April 04 issue has an entire article on making the cuts by Tom Berkner. He explained it in detail and made it superbly simple. Don't know of a website that has instructions. Sorry.

One suggestion you might try is to do a paper mock-up of the moulding with folds where you'll need the miters. Then you can lay your trimwood along the paper and line the cut up perfectly.

Once you get the hang of it, it's actually easy...trust me, I'm no woodworker and I manage to get them right so just about anybody can do it :D

Hey Jaime

Come on you can do it. You saw mine, I did it only using a mitrebox and Exacto knife. First of all the tiny pieces for dollhouses are so small they cut like butta! Not only that when you get all the furniture etc. you don't even see the tiny oopps. Once you cut your first one you get confidence. I screwed up a couple, but that is to be expected!

well I am bad...I butt mine up against each other. so I am no help to you

but if I knew how to miter Id do it with my easycutter

if I knew how to.

nutti :lol:

Hey Jaime

Come on you can do it. You saw mine, I did it only using a mitrebox and Exacto knife. First of all the tiny pieces for dollhouses are so small they cut like butta! Not only that when you get all the furniture etc. you don't even see the tiny oopps. Once you cut your first one you get confidence. I screwed up a couple, but that is to be expected!

OH IRENE!!! *giggle* I do have some moulding that are dollhouse size, but I also got some real mouldng strips that are small enough to look like big mouldings for the dollhouse. So they don't exactly cut like "butta". ;)

If you subscribe to American Miniaturist, the April 04 issue has an entire article on making the cuts by Tom Berkner. He explained it in detail and made it superbly simple.

WAH HOOOO!! I just looked at my stash of DH mags and I have that issue! Yeah!! I won't get to do any cutting tonight, too much to do, but I will take the issue up to bed with me for alittle bedtime reading. Hopefully I can do some tomorrow if I get alot of real house stuff done tonight!

I uploaded the pics of how I do crown moulding in the gallery. HTH

Holly, I can't thank you enough! I'm triangle challenged and your picture tutorial just made it all clear for me. Give yourself a huge hug for me!

Deb

Don't feel bad. I am extremely challenged when it comes to moldings, and cutting. But I wanted to try something different with the library in Queen's Row, so I bought my moldings in long strips that would work in mini at Home Depot and just had at it with a miter saw & box, and exacto knife. just measure twice, cut once I think they say! ;)

Thanks Holly, your pictures were a great help. I don't have too much trouble with the angles, my problem lies in the lengths of my mouldings. Seems I'm always a quarter of an inch off somewhere. The mouldings look great in your house.

Wendy

I am doing the moldings now in my Willowcrest so was very interested in this conversation. My husband is a very good woodworker and taught me to cut the crown upside down. Seems to work very well. I have still ruined some pieces and had to recut (my brain does not function well upside down) but the theory is good. The one thing I learned that I will pass on to all you future Willowcrest builders is NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use dentil molding in the living/dining area of the Willowcrest. It is a nightmare to say the least. Took me 2 days to do the bay area. I will now remember to only use dentil molding on square rooms. By the way, the upside down trick only works for the crown, not baseboards or chair rail. Makes sense since crown is hung upside down. Loved your photos on moldings Holly. Thanks!

I am very very bad at this. Even reading tutorial and seeing pictures I am still like HUH?

When I cut the ends of ribbon for gift to make the two lil tails.. it takes me 2 trys and i have done it for years. Angles freak me out Man!

By the way, the upside down trick only works for the crown, not baseboards or chair rail. Makes sense since crown is hung upside down.

Cathy is dentil cut the same way as I cut the crown I have? I haven't worked with the dentil crown moulding so I don't know if it is done the same way.

Cathy is right, to hang crown moulding you do it upside down. It may help to flip the house over if you can. When I first started doing crown moulding I would make a diagram of the room with wall measurments and what cuts I wanted to make. This way I could visualise it better. I still make bad cuts on occasion.

I am glad I could help with the picture tutorial and thanks for the compliments.

Holly, I love the look of the dentil molding and will use it again on a straight square room. The problem I encountered with the bay is that I could not match the "teeth" of the moldings very well. So, there are some gaps that no matter how I tried, I could not fix. The teeth are pretty fragil and the cuts made it worse. The dentil is cut the same way as the other molding I worked with, it is just thicker. Also, I learned that the dentil is not as uniform a size as the "regular" molding. This made it difficult to match up in the corners if I was cutting from 2 different pieces. Like I said, I love the look but would never do it again on anything other than a simple room shape.

The teeth are pretty fragil and the cuts made it worse.

I know what you mean about "fragile teeth" I put the molding on my fireplace I made and was happy that I got lucky the teeth did not break! I was VERY careful cutting. ;)

OK, well, very sad that I didn't get to it last night. I forgot that I had a dr appt (yrly gyn, no big deal) at 7:30, in my old neighborghood a good 20 mins/half hour away (I was up past you Irene!). I was there at 7:10 to make sure I was on time. I called the ofice while I was on my way and asked if the dr was "on time" and they said yes.

At 8pm I was brought into the exam room and dr didn't come in until 15 minutes later... 45 minutes PAST my appt. No personality, no "bedside manor", and no appolgoy for how late she was! I am livid! Calling the office manager there today and telling her how pissed I am and that I want my file sent to me ASAP since I will be going to a diferent Dr. from now on. There are 6 drs in the group, 3 men & 3 women. I've been going there for 7 years. The first dr I saw there didn't listen to anything I said. When I mentioned concerns I had she blew me off and said me "oh, you're too young for that", without even checking anything out. I gave the office a second chance and tried another dr. When I saw Dr. Glicksman (female) I found out what a real dr should be! SHe was wonderful!!! :pFYI: She is the co-author of the book Complete Idiot's Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth. She has since left the practice to go on to bigger and better things in NY, too far for me to drive to see her... Anyway the 3 male drs are very nice, but 2 of them are 100 years old (not really but old none the less, so YUCK!) and I'm just not the male dr kinda of person! I'm just done with this practice!!

Oh sorry I went off on a small rant again.... it happens alot! LOL

Anyway, I read the article in AM and looked at the tutorial. Dinner is in the crockpot and the rice cooker is waiting to be turned on so I don't have to waste time preparing dinner tonight. Just eat and bathe the child and put him off to bed at 7pm. Got some chores to do and hopefully within the next few days I can get my DH dining room tackled with crown moulding, chair rail AND base moulding (doing chair rail first). Then I will do all the window casings in the house. That part should be easy once I get the hang of miter cutting.

I'll post pics and remark on my progress as I go. Maybe I can make my own tutorial! haha ;)

OH MY G*D!! I'm at work.. last part of the day and I litterally aughed so loud that everyone loked up at me!!!! You too are too funny!!!! :p

Of course I meant: eat dinner, bathe the child and then put him to bed... I'll be thinking about that all through dinner! ;)