What do you display your dh on?

IAK

I have made so much progress on my Garfield. I am truely seeing the end. All that is left is finishing up the roof shingles, paint and install windows (which will take time) porch railing, some interior moldings, and door in 2nd floor bedroom closet (still waiting for it to come, ordered 3 weeks ago). I think I will carpet that room. Then I can start curtains, pictures, decorating etc. (the fun stuff). Then the monster can be moved up to my living room :p and can move in the furniture (have been collecting quite of bit thanks to e-bay, my other obsession)

Told hubby we have to start looking for some kind of table to put it on. :D What do you have your dh on? I want something about the height of a cocktail table. It will have to be large to hold it.

Here is an overall view of the interior...

Right now I have mine on a old steamer type chest. I dont know if this is going to be it`s final resting place. I have pics of it and the dh on top of it, but I dont know how to put the link to that posting into this one. It is in general mini under I need your opinion brown or gold?

If I do keep it on the chest, I am going to repaint the thing. It is a good height though.

I have one on a round glass topped metal patio table. It's a nice table, but we don't have room on the porch for it in this house. The Pumpkin House is up on a tall plant stand. Another is on a round table that I paid around $20 for at The Christmas Tree Shops. I'm mentioning the name of the store in case anyone was taking a trip to New England and wanted to do some shopping for neat stuff.

When this store opened in Portland, ME a couple pf years ago my daughter and I went to check it out to find hordes of women coming out of it with shopping carts full of stuff. We wondered how the heck people could find so much they just had to have at a place that was mainly a home decorating store. ...When we left we had a shopping cart full of stuff. They have decorative things, glassware, dishes, baskets, teas and goodies, kitchenwares, mirrors, lamps, wooden furniture, toys....all really nice and cheap cheap cheap. I go there for what I call "recreational shopping". It's the only place I ever bought anything that I didn't really have any use for because the little mirror was so pretty and only cost $3. I put it in a drawer. I figure someday I'll do some redecorating and I'll find the perfect spot to hang it. :D

By the way, they don't sell Christmas trees.

OH Irene!! It's fabulous!!! I love what you've done! :D

I didn't get any interior doors yet. I was thinking that I wasn't going to use them, but your's looks so great with door that I just might have to get them! I LOVE how you've opened up the top of the first floor stairs on the (my master bedroom). What a great idea!! Also I may have to "steal" you idea about the post on the first floor! Lucky you! Your house has two bathrooms!!! My family was too big to have two bathrooms. :p LOL

As far as what I put mine on, since you've seen it you know, but for the rest... my father had resuced a perfectly good table from someone's garbage about 4 months before they moved. Thinking I woul refinish it and use it as my kitchen table. I had just bought the perfect one (size and shape) at a garage sale for $5 and was in the process of refinishing it. So the salvaged table sat all taken apart up against the wall in the old livingroom. When I decided to start the building process I measured the tabel and it was perfect. I screwed the legs back on adn up it went! Free table! :lol:

Unfortunately, I noticed the other day that the house looked a bit crooked. I figured out that since its on the smaller turntable and near an opened window, with all the humidity that we've had lately I think its beginnig to bow. I think I have to get a piece of thick plywood to go under the house as support. I'll see if I can catch my neighbor (does a lot of wood working and has big saws and such) if he could cut out the pieces. :D

Irene your house looks great. :o Trying to find somewhere to put it is the hard part, being so big :D . I wanted my garfield somewhere so I could have a yard for it. So DH built me a table in our gameroom :lol: . However now he complains that he'll never get a pool table :p . I bought a mini one and told him I'll make him a gameroom with pool table in my next house :D . Once my harrison is finished I'm not sure where I'll put that, maybe on the other side of the gameroom who need a couch in there anyway :o :lol: .

Annette :lol:

The Christmas Tree Shops. I'm mentioning the name of the store in case anyone was taking a trip to New England and wanted to do some shopping for neat stuff.

When this store opened in Portland, ME a couple pf years ago my daughter and I went to check it out to find hordes of women coming out of it with shopping carts full of stuff. We wondered how the heck people could find so much they just had to have at a place that was mainly a home decorating store. ...When we left we had a shopping cart full of stuff.

Oh yes my favorite store. I too cannot leave without a cart overflowing with cool, cute stuff. You can go there every week and they have new merchandise that you cannot afford not to buy :D . We have one here in NJ now close to my house :p It opened last fall. I watched patiently while they built it... I may have been their first customer!

Oh yes, Irene and I had a long conversation about our love (obsession?) with the Christmas Tree shop!

If you are ever in New England, You must make that a stop! Make sure you have room in your car trunk too!

Oh yes, Irene and I had a long conversation about our love (obsession?) with the Christmas Tree shop!

If you are ever in New England, You must make that a stop! Make sure you have room in your car trunk too!

I had never heard of the Christmas Tree Shops either. Since Irene and I live so close (about 20 minutes) she offered to take me shopping there. I can't wait to go!

Wow, that’s going to be stunning. (Already is)

Our house is on 6 casters so it's really easy to move around the house but I'm going to raise it by 2 foot. At the moment it's floor level.

Glen

You could get a piece of 1/2" plywood to set it on & landscape around it, and pick up a set of table legs from the hardware store to make it into a table. I'm so jealous of y'all who have room for a Garfield.

My largest dollhouse (12 room Colonial) is permanently displayed on the neatest contraption my husband ever jimmied! And the size is right for a Garfield.

We found an old oak-stained coffee table from the 60/70's at a thrift store. It was the kind that used to have smoked glass in three sections in the top, straight legs. Don removed the glass squares and fitted the cut-outs with plywood, fitted each of the four legs with large covered casters and voila! The house is not only displayed but has the yard nicely landscaped all around with its neat white pickett fence. Plus, it rolls from room to room or out of the way of the vacuum without anything being disturbed.

PLUS, and you'll love this, one of these tables is only about $20 bucks or so at a thrift shop.

You could get a piece of 1/2" plywood to set it on & landscape around it, and pick up a set of table legs from the hardware store to make it into a table. I'm so jealous of y'all who have room for a Garfield.

I have considered doing that. Then I could start "building" a yard to go with it.. :D Maybe I could even put the house on the plywood, then the plywood on the turntable, then the turntable on any table underneath. Then the whole "scene" would turn :p Love that idea, Thanks so much :D

Wildwood Stable - on the top of the entertainment center in the living room.

Van Buren and Gazebo - on top of a dresser in my office

Victorian Townhouse and Tennyson - on top of a dresser in the bedroom

Haunted House - on top of a chest of drawers in the bedroom

Emerson Row - has it's own little table in the little girls room

Worthington - on a 100+ year old gateleg table ...

I had never heard of the Christmas Tree Shops either. Since Irene and I live so close (about 20 minutes) she offered to take me shopping there. I can't wait to go!

Let's make a date Jaimie, I need to get my fix!! Maybe next Sat??? 7/8 E-mail me or call

I have the federal on a long utility table, so far. After i move the room around i may velcro some fabric and make a skirt for the table. I hope to close the door to the room to keep the cats out...we'll see ;)

The cantebury is stashed in the closet because the cats would enjoy the roofing material too much.

The very first thing that i built was a RGT's conservatory. i was going to attatch it to the garfield as an extra room....I was so proud of that conservatory! The cats have chewed every post on the widow walk trim....that will have to be replaced...ggrrrrrrr. It currently resides on one of the dressers in the bedroom...all the more reason to keep the door closed in the spare bedroom. I don't want anything else ruined.

The orchid lives on the kitchen table at the moment :lol: Soon i'll put it on the bedroom dresser!

I also have a log cabin that was built for me by a really nice gentleman in Arizona. It lives in the family room on top of an old trunk. It is partially decorated and all of the current decor will go into one of my other houses. I want to put up cabinish type of curtains and decorate it in a log cabinish way (can't think of the right wording for that...funny how the brain shuts down after a long day)!

I haven't decided what to put the grosvenor on after it's built. It's heavy and way way big. I will probably have to build a base for it. It will also go into the spare bedroom.

Do you have a large entryway to set up a pretty table to display your Garf? I think that would be a lovely way to display a dollhouse. What room do you intend to put it in? Will you put it in a corner, against the wall? or place it out into the room to be seen from all sides?

I have the Lily displayed on a Display Turntable I ordered from Miniatures.com in the living room, and the Coventry Cottage/Dance Studio is on an old floor model tv, that we gutted and made into a storage type cabinet in on of the spare bedrooms. I have no idea where the others will go as I build them but I'll find a place somehow. ;) :lol:

hmmmm

well the Glencroft is on a microwave cart and the lighthouse and coventry cottage sit on a short table the hubby built for me to sew on. the haunted house, Mckinnly and Arthur have a shelf and the Granville is on my cedar chest under it. the Marquam Hill is on my rolling work table with no permanent home in mind.

perhaps another microwave cart.

nutti ;)

I have considered doing that. Then I could start "building" a yard to go with it.. ;) Maybe I could even put the house on the plywood, then the plywood on the turntable, then the turntable on any table underneath. Then the whole "scene" would turn :lol: Love that idea, Thanks so much :)

That's the way I display my houses. I set them on a sheet of plywood or mdf and landscape, then put it on a turntable (lazy susans from walmart's kitchen section work fine) Set the whole thing on a table and you've got a nice way to display it and you'll have room to access it from all angles when you want to play or preen. For some of the houses I've used noch grass to landscape, but lately I've discovered the joys of covering the mdf with cork, then spraying it with glue, covering it with coffee grounds and then give it another shot of glue and sprinkle coarse turf over the top. Use a rolling pin to mash down the coffee grounds, then the turf as you apply them. It's a lot of fun and a really great realistic look.

Deb

The very first thing that i built was a RGT's conservatory. i was going to attatch it to the garfield as an extra room....I was so proud of that conservatory!

Do you have a garfield? and where were you going attached the conservatory?

I want to put up cabinish type of curtains and decorate it in a log cabinish way (can't think of the right wording for that...funny how the brain shuts down after a long day)!

Rustic??

Do you have a large entryway to set up a pretty table to display your Garf? I think that would be a lovely way to display a dollhouse. What room do you intend to put it in? Will you put it in a corner, against the wall? or place it out into the room to be seen from all sides?

I do have an entryway but not big enough for this big girl. I have a large living room and was going to put it in there. I just was starting to think about what I was going to put it on. I have a turntable for it so was going to put it in one of the corners in LR. I am getting some great ideas from everybody here. I love this site! Thank you all for your great suggestions

I've used noch grass to landscape, but lately I've discovered the joys of covering the mdf with cork, then spraying it with glue, covering it with coffee grounds and then give it another shot of glue and sprinkle coarse turf over the top. Use a rolling pin to mash down the coffee grounds, then the turf as you apply them. It's a lot of fun and a really great realistic look.

Deb

What exactly do you mean by coarse turf??? Artificial?? Do you get that in a craft store?

Until I began looking about, didn't realize how many minis, or structures I had.... ;)

the sugarplum that is landscaped sits on the tv entertainment center in our den/living room. (Last weekend I turned the living room into a dining room, so all that is in there mini wise is the Queen's Row dollhouse on the coffee table in front of the big window)

the exotic bathroom roombox is on the mantel, along with the bleachbottle project.

a unfinished cottage also sits on the tv entertainment center. The gold caddy shack sits on the shelf above my computer desk, along with other minis and dolls.

My yardsaledollhouse sits on an old student desk I have had since I was a kid in my display room(extra bedroom) the arthur--Olde Shelby Cottage, Mr. Bannister's doll emporium, and the Minnie's lil scrapbook store sit on an old bureau that Amanda used to have. the drawers are really useful for holding papers, minis. supplies, etc. Unfortunately I need to clean my display room again. I would like to add shelves so I can have the doll emporium and scrapbook store up high, and start building the foundation for Olde Shelby cottage--that is what is holding me up is room.

Your house is beautiful! I would definitely create a table for it. I sell Olde English dollhouse company, and they market beautiful table kits for their houses, it makes them look like a work of art. Your house would look lovely on a table like the kind Holly mentioned in an entry hall, or foyer, or near a staircase.

Right now since I am looking to add a wing on to the yardsaledollhouse aka Strawberry Hill, I will probably be creating a table for it and moving it from the desk--when I find room!! :lol:

Do you have a garfield? and where were you going attached the conservatory?

I had a garfield...Andrew wanted to build it so it's his now. I really want to do one now :lol: -i'm inspired by you guys and your wonderful ideas for this house, so in a couple of months i'll buy another one. I'm hoping for another sale at HBS. If no sale, i'll just get one off of ebay.

I was going to attatch the conservatory to the side of the house. If you look at the house from the back, the open part, i was going to put it to the left of that, where the two side windows are. i had planned to cut one of the windows to make a doorway and to not punch out the other window, just leave it as a blank wall there. The conservatory was going to be the music room. now the conservatory is a room box. Unfortunately i'll have to remove all the railings to replace the posts then reglue, repaint. I put several layers of paint on the railings, so i'll be doing alot of sanding before i can reglue all of the railings into place. Due to this little cat factor, i'm waiting to put the widow walk trim on the federal until i have a cat proof room ;) .

I love what you are doing with this house...beautiful job! marg

What exactly do you mean by coarse turf??? Artificial?? Do you get that in a craft store?

Coarse turf looks like green lint that's been chopped up. ;) I discovered it at Tracy's store but I've heard mention of it being used for model train landscaping so hobby stores would probably carry it. It's perfect for moss when glued onto or between stones, but when laid out on a large surface, it makes a great grassy ground cover. I used it for my Coventry Cottage-samurai house landscaping. There's a tutorial on the coffee ground/coarse turf landscaping there at http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...logid=15&cat=57 If you look closely at the base of the tree, you can see it used as moss on the stones too.

Deb

I had a garfield...Andrew wanted to build it so it's his now. I really want to do one now ;) -i'm inspired by you guys and your wonderful ideas for this house, so in a couple of months i'll buy another one. I'm hoping for another sale at HBS. If no sale, i'll just get one off of ebay.

I was going to attatch the conservatory to the side of the house. If you look at the house from the back, the open part, i was going to put it to the left of that, where the two side windows are. i had planned to cut one of the windows to make a doorway and to not punch out the other window, just leave it as a blank wall there. The conservatory was going to be the music room. now the conservatory is a room box.

Overstock.com, I think it is still $199

Also I love the conservatory Idea............ :)

Coarse turf looks like green lint that's been chopped up. :D I discovered it at Tracy's store but I've heard mention of it being used for model train landscaping so hobby stores would probably carry it.

Deb

I think I know what it is now. My dad alway used to build model railroad scenes and he used to use something that looked like that. I assume it was the same thing. Maybe I'll ask him for suggestions too :lol:

Let's make a date Jaimie, I need to get my fix!! Maybe next Sat??? 7/8 E-mail me or call

Sure!! I can go next weekend, but Hubby probably has to work so Jayce will have to tag along. He's very good at the stores! ;) I'll give you a buzz during the week.