Please refresh my memory!

Sherry

I am about ready to start putting the shingles on the walls of the Storybook, and haven't used these GL shingles before, so please refresh my memory. I don't want to mess up and have to do it over again!

1-you paint the walls first, so no wood shows in the cracks, right? Doesn't that make a problem with the shingles' glue sticking?

2-if I want to paint them white, will they warp? Should I do it before or after putting them on? should I paint both sides? What if I decide to stain instead of painting, will Minwax stain make them curl, too?

3-I have a sample piece made, with shingles glued to a scrap of wood. Sure enough they are curling, and I have them clamped down to dry. But there are places where it's too tight to clamp in there. Any other way to flatten them, maybe tape them down?

probably more questions as I plan this out in my mind- I just have this vision of a house I've put tons of work into, covered in curly shingles!

Yes, they will curl a bit. They will flatten as they dry. I use the tape and then clamp them down. The paint will make them curl. I apply Min Wax stain with a soft rag and they don't curl much, and flatten right back out as they dry. If I paint the roof I use a flat-finish paint; no problem getting the glue to stick (so far). I'm also used the stain I use on the shingles. Just be sure to let it dry thoroughly.

I have done some experimenting since posting. The ones I painted off the house, both sides, are curled. Maybe they're not dry yet. The ones I glued to a scrap of wood and whitewashed are not curled enough to even notice and I'm sure they're not dry yet. This may be the way to do it. I really would rather do the whitewash, in fact, I'm pretty much committed, since I already painted the corner pieces and the eaves white!

Interesting reading about the applications of shingles. That is one part of building the house I have been putting off. I expermitted with some scrap and it wasn't pretty! I did try 'aging' some shingles by painting them with a mixture of black india ink mixed with rubbing alcohol. This gives a weathered look and I didn't notice warping.

I find shingling, like bricklaying and applying siding, very relaxing; I get some of my best creative ideas when I'm doing tedious tasks. The curling of the thin wood doesn't particularly bother me, as it generally flattens out as it dries, especially when I clamp scrapwood over it whilst it dries; and it looks far more realistic with the odd ripple or two.

• Like 2

I've never minded shingling, but doing the sides of the house worries me. I guess because I've never dealt with these thin shingles before and I've heard so many stories about them curling. However, the ones I painted on both sides this afternoon don't look bad, and the ones I painted after they were glued on the scrapwood, look fine, too.

I did get the bay windows fixed, with skewers painted in my 3rd color, and I'm just tickled to pieces with them! I think I'm really going to like my color choice, although I wasn't sure until I added the 3rd color, which really punches it up. I hope the door turns out as well!

ugh - i just finished (today) shingling the tower of one of my houses. I had planned on thinning out brown acrylic paint to give it a little darker color. Used the thin cedar shingles. I hope they don't curl!

Y'all didn't hear shingle curling stories or complaints from me! As I've posted mini, mini times, the thin wood curls when it's wet, and it FLATTENS BACK OUT AS IT DRIES. (Not for y'all who have already figured this out by actually working with the wood in question...) I was pretty sure you'd be OK with this, Sherry; my very first Team Build was the Arthur kit and I shingled the exterior second floor and painted the shingles after I glued them on.

I have also used tacky glue once, and they did flatten when they dried, then I painted. I do however prefer Quick Grab or Omni Stick, and had good results with the slow setting hot glue on the cabin shingles.

I have also painted shingles before I glued them on, because I wanted each one a different color. It's pretty much your choice, how you proceed with the shingling. Have fun!

Roofing and shingling relaxin???? :(
TOTALLY! It puts me into "The Zone" and unlocks my mind to explore ideas. I have two building modes in "The Zone" one is the building frenzy, I get a lot done and wind up exhausted with an idiot grin on my face, and the other is when I'm involved in repetitive tedium (like stitching, shingling, etc) where my mind lets loose all sorts of creative ideas and gives me the space to relax and explore each one; very helpful since I'm retired and if I want it, I have to make it!lol I still have an idiot grin, but it's much smaller and I don't get nearly as tired.

• 3 years later...

I see it's been awhile since anyone followed this topic, but I have a pertinent question and, for a change, found the right forum! I want my Garfield's shingles to look metallic and experimented with a bunch of different mediums... arriving at one coat of Martha Stewart's Terra Cotta (color: Potting Soil) paint, followed by a coat of the Martha Stewart Metallic Paint (Cast Bronze) -- and it looks fantastic. One problem: they're both water-based paints and... you know the rest. No, they did NOT uncurl (much) when they dried. In fact some were so brittle that they snapped when I tried to smooth them down. I'm using the laser-cut speed strips and have only done one batch do far. I put the second coat (Cast Bronze) on just a while ago, and as soon as it looked dry, laid them out on newspaper and covered them with more newspaper and books! This will probably work, but... is there any way around this so that this doesn't need to be done with each batch??? Is there, perhaps, a first step with an oil-based primer that would keep the water from the wood so it wouldn't curl? The Garfield takes the equivalent of 15 bags of shingles, so this could take just about forever if there's no easier way!!!!!

What if you paint the backside with clear water when you paint the front side with the first layer of paint? Or if that's a hassle, how about laying the strips on wet newspaper or paper towels so as to balance the dampness on both sides?

Good idea, Kathie. Thank you. As soon as i can free up some more counter workspace, I will try exactly that. I don't want to put anything on top while these dry because I'm afraid newspaper or paper towels will stick and ruin the effect, but wetting them down from the back and then sandwiching them between newspapers and weighting them might work well. Maybe a layer of paper towels under the shingles and then a piece of waxed paper on top under the books. I'll let you know.

I will let you ladies know how this works out. I'm on a roll now -- finally! No, I still haven't fixed the wiring problem in the attic, Holly, but I need to see some fast results! I figure if I can get, oh, maybe the porch roof shingled, I'll have such a great sense of accomplishment that I won't mind working on the wiring ;-)!

I take it you are painting them before putting them on the house? I used the speed shingles for the Aero Squadron Lounge and used a paint (water based) diluted wash before putting them on the house...they curled as they have done for you. I had to wet them and keep them in position while they dried.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=80840

When I did the Haunted Heritage, I glued them to the house directly using Quick Grip glue. When I painted with undiluted water based acrylic straight from the bottle, they did not lift or curl except for a few at the top (probably not enough glue there)...but those straightened as they dried.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=84089

Would you be able (or willing) to put them on the house first and then paint? :)

Your roof is gorgeous, Brae! What an unusual concept.

The paint that I'm using (both the Terra Cotta and the metallic) are dark brown (or bronze) and the walls of the house are a marigold yellow with white trim -- so I'm really afraid of getting that brown slopped on the walls. That's why I opted for this method. I do have brown-paper templates made up for all the roof sections and will glue the shingles to the templates before putting them up on the roof. If all else fails, I'll try flattening each section and see if that works.

But thanks, Brae. If all else fails, I may have to put the shingles on the house first.