Bad, Bad, RGT (a rant if you will)

Merry

No basements here either and I never had tornado problems when I lived in NY! I am scared silly! Someone told me to hide in the bathroom in the tub...yeah right not the same as a basement to me!

I miss basements to store junk! :p

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, now, that's great! I suppose I could stand next to the tub & hold the towel to dry each clean puppy!

Egads, Holly! If you stand next to the tub you will be blown away by the tornado! You will have to just cram yourself in there with us if you want your life spared. If you're lucky you'll end up in a tree. I could make a scene of that if you'd like! :)

I sure have been thinking about this house, and really do like it! I find myself trying to remember everything that was in Granny's house. A built in bookcase behind a big old squat wing chair,a french door to the front bedroom, I had forgotten about that. It had lace curtains gathered very closely on rods, on the bedroom side. French doors to the dining room, an enclosed porch on the end of the kitchen, and of course, the big front porch with a swing. I think I will have to make this house to ever get it off my mind!

I sure have been thinking about this house, and really do like it! I find myself trying to remember everything that was in Granny's house. A built in bookcase behind a big old squat wing chair,a french door to the front bedroom, I had forgotten about that. It had lace curtains gathered very closely on rods, on the bedroom side. French doors to the dining room, an enclosed porch on the end of the kitchen, and of course, the big front porch with a swing. I think I will have to make this house to ever get it off my mind!

Sherry, do you have any pictures of your grandmother's house?

Friends of mine have a Craftsman Bungalow shaped just like this new house!! Another common feature in these homes are book cases with glass doors that divide the living and dining rooms and they have square pillars/columns on top of them going to the ceiling forming an archway of sorts between the rooms.....

here are some other neat websites with info and pictures on this house style....

bungalow style guide

1903 bungalow renovation

someone's photo set on Flickr of Craftsman Bungalow

I hope these links work correctly.... it's my first time putting them in a post!!! B)

Friends of mine have a Craftsman Bungalow shaped just like this new house!! Another common feature in these homes are book cases with glass doors that divide the living and dining rooms and they have square pillars/columns on top of them going to the ceiling forming an archway of sorts between the rooms.....

here are some other neat websites with info and pictures on this house style....

bungalow style guide

1903 bungalow renovation

someone's photo set on Flickr of Craftsman Bungalow

I hope these links work correctly.... it's my first time putting them in a post!!! B)

Thank you very much! All of this is making me want to sell our real house and move into a bungalow. I've been following the "Daily Bungalow's" pix for a long time. It is so nice of him to share his pix.

(You have inspired me to put websites in my posts. I've been so afraid! B) )

The only thing I wish this bungalow had is a longer backend.

I'm sure most of you have seen grazhina's (sp?) bungalow. If you haven't, you must! Maybe someone can help me with a shortcut here. (hint hint) I love the longer look.

This would be the time for me to learn how to bash! Yep. B)

Rosalind, i could pretty much still describe every room in that house, right down to the lamps and quilts. That's where I spent my summers as a child, plus most holidays, until she died. She bought that house brand new for 2700 dollars, I think, and paid mortgage payments weekly during the depression. I have lots of photos taken in and around the house, but none just for a view of the house itself. But it's very clear in my mind, even the back yard and what grew where, and where the good stuff was stored in the detached garage (trunks of old, old clothes to play dress up in).

I really do want to, after seeing this house. It really brings back memories. My all time favorite is of sitting on the porch swing waiting for the train to come by and whistle at the road, every night. Think I could put that train in the scene somewhere?

If it's the kit, it's made by Northeastern Scale Lumber. they also make a Mission-style rocking chair kit that comes in a package of two. Over the years mine warped a bit; it now liies in the White Orchid:

gallery_8_2916_35221.jpg

I'm sorry, Holly, I didn't see this the first time.

Yes, HBS has a kit, but they also have this set as well, already put together and very reasonable in price too, I thought.

http://www.miniatures.com/hbs/global/Index...RODUCTSKU=77239

... sitting on the porch swing waiting for the train to come by and whistle at the road, every night. Think I could put that train in the scene somewhere?

I don't see why not - even if it's a scene through a window. You'll come up with a way, I have no doubt. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Mary, I even remember the old wallpaper in the dining room, someone has it in their gallery here somewhere. It was one of those pastoral scenes. Now, the old carpet she had when I was a baby would be hard to replicate...darkish almost olive green, with big white swirls in it-ugh!! Crocheted rose bedspread, chenille with a peacock on the other bed, the cool chair I used to play behind had gold brocade upholstery. Don't know that I'd want to reproduce her choice in colors, but I can see it all very clearly in my mind. And two huge Roseville vases on either side of the mantel, a green depression glass tea pitcher, and a cut crystal lamp on top of the old console tv. She even had the red and chrome stool and trashcan, and the Anchor Hocking glass canisters with decals on them and red tin lids, in the kitchen, how's that for remembering?