Bad, Bad, RGT (a rant if you will)

Merry

I love it! I keep joking with my husband that I'm going to get a Rye and a Tamarack (an RGT house that is somewhat bungalow-like) to go with my Fantasy Craft Craftsman Bungalow (in my gallery) and start my own historic district! Now I'll add this to my wish list!

Last month when I was at my local shop, Happliy Ever After, Lori had another small bungalow. I don't know who makes it, and it wasn't there this past weekend : ( That's what stinks about being broke--another find slipped away.

Now if GREENLEAF would make a bungalow, my joy would be complete (and I could afford it)!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG-that's my grandmother's house! Now that I have decided upon my Christmas present from DH, I need to find that picture someone took of her old wallpaper, and I'm ready to start. I can't remember who had the pastoral scene paper that they posted for us, but it was her dining room paper and would be perfect in that house! I think I will print off this picture to post on the fridge!

I'm beginning to collect and make wallpaper for my bungalow now. Also, I need bungalow furniture. It's fun because it's so different than Victorian (which I love).

I was just showing this house to DH a while ago. It really is beautiful to me! I would like to build mission or arts/crafts furniture for it, and my grandmother's house had french doors between the lr and dining rooms-no place for both rooms in this house, but maybe one door somewhere in it. I want it!!!!!

I was just showing this house to DH a while ago. It really is beautiful to me! I would like to build mission or arts/crafts furniture for it, and my grandmother's house had french doors between the lr and dining rooms-no place for both rooms in this house, but maybe one door somewhere in it. I want it!!!!!

You MUST have it!

The french doors are a must. I am collecting pictures as we speak. What fun! :)

Well, I will work on finishing the farmhouse-just shingles and landscape now, and the antique shop if I can make myself work on it again. Then maybe I can talk him into this for early Christmas! He even realized that it was like Granny's house and he loves this style anyway-so I have that in my favor!

Well, I will work on finishing the farmhouse-just shingles and landscape now, and the antique shop if I can make myself work on it again. Then maybe I can talk him into this for early Christmas! He even realized that it was like Granny's house and he loves this style anyway-so I have that in my favor!

Hi Sherry, I hope you get a bungalow because it reminds you of your granny's house.

I MUST finish my Woodstock before I begin on any bungalow, but I like to have the boxed kit already in my posession for some reason. Fear of not getting it I guess.....I wonder what fear name that would be! Dollhouseitis...something..

Okay, I'm confused. I looked at the RGT bungalow, and Greenleaf's "Westville". Neither appear to be bungalows to me. Maybe there's different definition for a bungalow in America? In Canada (and England) a bungalow is a house with a main floor, and a basement - no upstairs. Can someone clue me in? Because I'm clueless.

:lol:

Okay, I'm confused. I looked at the RGT bungalow, and Greenleaf's "Westville". Neither appear to be bungalows to me. Maybe there's different definition for a bungalow in America? In Canada (and England) a bungalow is a house with a main floor, and a basement - no upstairs. Can someone clue me in? Because I'm clueless.

:lol:

I should educate myself on the subject before I reply, but why do that when I can just jump in with a guess?!! :thumb:

In Oklahoma most houses do not have basements, including the older homes.

Many bungalows made in the states were made from a real life kits from Sears. I don't know if any of the kits came with basements. Maybe others will know.

We'll both be watching for the answer to your question! :(

I don't know either, but I grew up in a Sears kit house, and it had a full-depth basement and three floors (the attic was finished many years after the house was built). I think you could put the house over a basement, or not, depending on the location.

When I think "bungalow", I think "small house with a main floor, and a not-quite-full-height second floor". I imagine cute little bedrooms under the eaves with sloping ceilings and gable windows.

I love that on the RGT house, you can configure the porch in a few different ways. I'm a strict instruction-follower, so appreciate having the permission to change things up a little!

According to my dictionary, this is the definition : a low house, with a broad front porch, having either no upper floor or upper rooms set in the roof, typically with dormer windows. My uncle lives in one. It has the windows but only a very small attic where the windows are. I think that is a Great looking Kit too <_<

I don't know either, but I grew up in a Sears kit house, and it had a full-depth basement and three floors (the attic was finished many years after the house was built). I think you could put the house over a basement, or not, depending on the location.

When I think "bungalow", I think "small house with a main floor, and a not-quite-full-height second floor". I imagine cute little bedrooms under the eaves with sloping ceilings and gable windows.

I love that on the RGT house, you can configure the porch in a few different ways. I'm a strict instruction-follower, so appreciate having the permission to change things up a little!

According to my dictionary, this is the definition : a low house, with a broad front porch, having either no upper floor or upper rooms set in the roof, typically with dormer windows. My uncle lives in one. It has the windows but only a very small attic where the windows are. I think that is a Great looking Kit too :please:

I want to live in a bungalow! (only big)

(I edited my post to say something really profound, and ended up saying I wanted a bungalow! Time to go to bed I think! <_<

Mary, I forgot to mention, my uncle does have a basement :giggle: and I think it was a Sears built house too. That house is in Illinois. I just can not imagine a house without a basement. Where would I store all of my Dollhouses <_< I guess that is why so many people hide them under their beds & closets :please:

Not many basements in FL. The scratch dh I hope to build one day is a Craftsman Bungalow from a book of reprinted plans originally publised by Gustav Stickley, and the one I'm drafting (with modifications) into 1:12 has two floors and an attic open on both ends for the children to sleep in.

The Webster's Pocket Dictionary in my house says a bungalow is "a one-storied house". It's an American dictionary!

I live in a one and a half-storied house - the bedrooms have the sloping ceilings that I had always wanted, but found to be a pain in the neck to live in. We have one bathroom, and it has a dormer window. The house used to be a bungalow, but the attic was transformed into a half storey, before we bought the house.

I guess it's the same as when we ask any question here on the forum - there is no one right answer, but many different interpretations! <_<

Bungalows were originally small, one storied houses in India, where we got the word from (thank you, Kipling!). But keep in mind that many bungalows underwent a transformation here in the States and many were sold as two story houses by Sears. Some of them were crossbred with Mission houses and a lot of others were remodeled to have the attic converted to bedrooms. I think you could get away with just about anything when it comes to a bungalow.

And if you wanted to do one in the Mission style, have you guys seen the Mission dining room set on HBS? My head is now dancing with visions of bungalows with green tiled fireplaces, lots and lots of wood and beams, inglenooks, built in bookcases, and stained glass in every window.

the Mission dining room set on HBS?
If it's the kit, it's made by Northeastern Scale Lumber. they also make a Mission-style rocking chair kit that comes in a package of two. Over the years mine warped a bit; it now liies in the White Orchid:

gallery_8_2916_35221.jpg

Few houses in Texas new or old, have a basement. But you might see the identical house built in Kansas with one, where everyone saw the Wizard of Oz and has a basement.

The ones with the lower roof line and deep porches are usually referred to as prairie bungalow, which was and still is, very popular in this area where folks spent a lot of time on the porch. They don't usually have any fancy trim, just utilitarian, and the lower part of the porch posts are brick, maybe stucco.I should add, this roof is really too steep for any kind of bungalow, as the low roof line is standard on all of them, even the 2 stories. By low, I mean a gentle slope, not a steep one. But I imagine a doll house requires a steeper roof in order to have two usable rooms on the second floor! My granny's house even had the dormer on the roof, although there was nothing up there but an attic.

No basements? Where do you go when the "nados" come? <_<

We ALL have basements here, but no one goes down when the sirens go off..........everyone goes outside to "look"! (Didn't say we were smart!) We've all been so use to sirens and such, but after Greensburg, a town about an hour away got wiped off the map, people are a little more serious!

Mary, I forgot to mention, my uncle does have a basement :wave: and I think it was a Sears built house too. That house is in Illinois. I just can not imagine a house without a basement. Where would I store all of my Dollhouses :giggle: I guess that is why so many people hide them under their beds & closets :wave:

Oh my gosh, Tracy! It is awful living without a basement! It's like constant torture! I see basements in movies and on HGTV, and I think what I could do with all that room!

I have no room for my dollhouse house furniture and building supplies so they have taken over the guest room. When I work on my dollhouse, I have to bring everything into the kitchen. Then when company comes, I have to put everything away.

I should have suggested to RGT to add a basement! :please: Maybe I'll have a basement in Heaven. <_<

Few houses in Texas new or old, have a basement. But you might see the identical house built in Kansas with one, where everyone saw the Wizard of Oz and has a basement.

The ones with the lower roof line and deep porches are usually referred to as prairie bungalow, which was and still is, very popular in this area where folks spent a lot of time on the porch. They don't usually have any fancy trim, just utilitarian, and the lower part of the porch posts are brick, maybe stucco.I should add, this roof is really too steep for any kind of bungalow, as the low roof line is standard on all of them, even the 2 stories. By low, I mean a gentle slope, not a steep one. But I imagine a doll house requires a steeper roof in order to have two usable rooms on the second floor! My granny's house even had the dormer on the roof, although there was nothing up there but an attic.

I love the houses with those steep roofs! <_< I know there are different styles of bungalows, or at least what are called bungalows. They can be as different as night and day. The houses and suggestions that I sent RGT were of the style that I have grown to love.

No basements? Where do you go when the "nados" come? <_<

We ALL have basements here, but no one goes down when the sirens go off..........everyone goes outside to "look"! (Didn't say we were smart!) We've all been so use to sirens and such, but after Greensburg, a town about an hour away got wiped off the map, people are a little more serious!

We live in tornado alley so people have cellars (but we still go out to watch the tornado!) :please: