Trains and Story Book Cottage

alycemina

I've gotten into trains (oh dear, another expensive hobby?). I got a G scale (1/24) engine and coal car off of ebay. The G scale is just about right for a small 1/12 scale. I have been thinking about what to use as a train station, including building from scratch and I saw the story book cottage on ebay and it is perfect, so I got one! As if I dont have enough in the works.

Also got a vintage Cor-Cor train engine which is a ride on train for kids (they use their feet to make it go). It will be a great train for a larger 1/12 station. It is 24" long and 9" high.

I need another house for my hobby since I am outgrowing my rented studio.

Will post pics when I have something to show.

Hey your own city with in your studio!! What a great idea. Studio City!!!

So where are you going to put every thing.

If you run a shelf about four feet off the floor around the room at about two feet wide (or how ever you widest house is and then adding in the rail tracks) you could have the train run through around your houses. Sounds like fun.

Ohhhhhhh I think you might need a bigger place.

Good luck.

I just ended up with an older HO gauge set and was thinking about train/dollhouse combos myself.... hmmm...

Love the shelf high around the room idea. I've seen it done before and it really looks fantastic!

According to my model train club friends "G" scale is the approx equivalent of 1/2 inch scale in dollhouses. I always wanted to have a railroad running through my dh city, so I envy you for venturing into that hobbie. Have fun!

I use to have a G scale outdoor railroad and I use to rehab playschool houses to be outside. They were plastic and very colorful, but with paint, acrylic windows and some spackle they look pretty good outside. If you need people for your railroad, I like Slmonline.com and if you like to build, gardentexture.com has some great plans for buildings, bridges, etc. Good place for some ideas also.

We still have my husband's Lionel train from the 50's in the original box, even have the water tower. After looking at the train shop yesterday He said something about doing just this thing with my houses. Of course, I'll believe it when he builds the tables! But it would be so cute.