I did it! Completed the front door "problem"

JaimieMarvon

I got my Palladian door (rounded at the top) last week from Hobby Supply and was disapointed when I realised it didn't fit as perfectly as I thought it was going to. I posted about the problem last week and had been avoiding working on the house. A few posts later I finally decided that I must get in to working on it or be forever avoiding my house.

On Monday I made a post about starting on the fix, but did not have the pictures. Here are my pics of the progress and the end result.

post-592-1145561009_thumb.jpg post-592-1145561018_thumb.jpg

doorway with wood filler pieces doorway

post-592-1145561029_thumb.jpg

with spackle (goes on pink, dries white)

post-592-1145561043_thumb.jpg post-592-1145561060_thumb.jpg

dried spackle, sanded.... not shown painted.

I did paint the area last night and I am happy to report that you cannot tell there was ever a gap. I'm so relieved. Another hurdle comlpeted! I'm sure there will be others to overcome too. :blink:

Thanks to those who offered moral support! ;)

;) well there you go. With a little thought you can figure a fix for anything, except maybe an electronics problem :blink: (don't mind me, I'm thinking about my refrigerator).

Dumbell me forgets that I should make the door or window then cut a hole the right size instead of trying to get the darn things fit together. But I too succeeded.

It looks good. Will keep the tip in mind for future reference. Thanks for posting all the pictures on how this particular problem was solved.

Jaime, What kind of paint did you or are you going to use to paint your house? Will you be using acrylic paints or house paints from the hardware store? I woould like to know what people have tried and the pros and cons of using one or the other. Also did you already light your house? I have my trims done all three floors in and am on step I:Porch Ceiling. I was debating when to do lights and paint? Should I complete the house minus windows and then light and paint or do it before the roof goes on? I already primed my walls so they are all white but that's it. Thanks for any help. I too am working on the Garfield.

Angie

Jaime, What kind of paint did you or are you going to use to paint your house? Will you be using acrylic paints or house paints from the hardware store? I would like to know what people have tried and the pros and cons of using one or the other. Also did you already light your house? I have my trims done all three floors in and am on step I:Porch Ceiling. I was debating when to do lights and paint? Should I complete the house minus windows and then light and paint or do it before the roof goes on? I already primed my walls so they are all white but that's it. Thanks for any help. I too am working on the Garfield.

Angie

Angie-

I think most people use flat white paint for the base paint. I like the white look so much that I just did my final paint in a semi gloss/latex mix. Its got a bit of a sheen to it. Gives it a little "glow" when the light hits it. :D

I painted everything AFTER the house was together, base coat and final color coat. Some people paint each board before they put it together. There are also some people are so talented and know exactly what each room will be before glueing the house together that they can do all of the wallpaper and such as they put the house together (and you can't do that if you plan to light the house). Not me. Like I said I didn't do my base coat until the house was together. There are positions I didn't know I could do in order to get the paint into all those far away places that are OH SO HARD to reach once all the walls are up.

I also upgraded to the working windows. got a good deal on them ($119). Those are getting painted/stained (on the outside) soon. I will wait t glue them in since I'm still not sure what I will be decorating the rooms as. If I can take the windows out to paint the inside parts it will be much easier than trying to be a contortionist again!

Yes, I did light my house. Once the house was all put together, and before I painted at all. I did the tapewire. It was fairly easy, much more that I thought it would be! But again I had to be a bit of a contortionist to get in the corners. Then you do a thin coat of paint over all your tape to help it stay down. I haven't tested the lights in a while. I think I may have knocked a connecting gromet out along the way. I'll have to test it soon to make sure everyting is still in working order, before I start putting all the wall paper up. :blink:

Do you have any pictures of your progress? I'm sure there are many who would like to see. There are a few people working on the Garfield right now. Doogster, IAK, and at least one other that I can't think of at the moment! :unsure:

The Garfield is my one and only Dollhouse to build. I don't plan on doing another construction like this. Although I have seen the houses in bookcases or a beatuiful armoire and I LOVE that. That will be my next project! (many years down the road!)

Jaimie

That door is awesome it realy goes with the out side of the house. Your really becoming a carpenter,just the way the old guys would do it.

Donna

Thanks Donna! By the way. I took a look at your WebShots album to get a better look at the house in your aviator. I love your porch!! Its almost exactly what I had planned to do for my porch. I wanted to leave it as an open porch, but couldn't find too many pics of dollhouses without porch railings.

I also upgraded to the working windows. got a good deal on them ($119). Those are getting painted/stained (on the outside) soon. I will wait t glue them in since I'm still not sure what I will be decorating the rooms as. If I can take the windows out to paint the inside parts it will be much easier than trying to be a contortionist again!

Hi Jaimie

I LOVE those windows!! Where did you get them for only $119? I thought the upgraded kit was so much more. I already put in the "plastic windows" that came with the house. I guess I could remove them and upgrade if I wanted to.

Irene

IRENE!!! Come out to Pompton Plains (since you are soooo close) and we can go to the dollhouse store that is about a mile from my house. Although they were on backorder, she had several sources to get from. Took about a month to come in. We can go to the shop together if you want. You can order the windows from her and we can oooo and ahhh over all the minitures in person! So much better than a catalog or online.

I just looked back on my credit card I have 2 charges from that store. One for $105 and one for $92.87, so maybe I got them for even less that I thought!! You can do it too! Well worth the extra $$. I love them. Andrew (doogster) just got them too (off eBay).

That sounds like a plan to me. I'm thinking maybe update the french doors, I don't know...I just can't think about taking out all the windows I already put in and trim....Alot of time and work to undue. I would love to go to that mini shop with you. We will have to try and think of a day to do it. I have a mini shop by me in Midland Park also. It's small (ha ha) but has so much cute stuff. I only work on Mondays and Weds. What is your schedule like?

Irene-

I do work full time, so weekend would be better for me. If you aren't doing anything this weekend we can try to get together. Next Weekend is not good for me. In a few weeks my folks will be coming up from Florida and then comes Memorial weekend when we will be taking a family trip to upstate NY for the annual faily reunion on my dada's side.

I work very close to home (10-15 mins) that if you can't make it on a weekend I could do a lunch hour during the week. My boss will laugh at me but wil lbe cool if i'm a little longer than an hour!!! Marilyn, the shop owner is very nice. Lots of advice and beautiful houses.

I updated my french doors as well. I'm really happy with them. You just have to weigh the odds... Will you regret that you didn't upgrade the windows later? You can always undo the work later if you do feel you really want them. Although the prices may go up....

For me, knowing that I wasn't building any other houses I planned to upgrade a bunch of stuff adn spend the extra $$.

Okay, I am getting excited....Tomorrow is good for me in the early afternoon or even Sunday. Is the shop open on Sunday? Send me an e-mail and I will give you my phone #. jtjjk@aol.com Next week is not good for me either, my daughter is coming in from CA to visit for the long weekend. Then MAY, so much going on. Looking forward to meeting you!