I bought this house from micheals

asherah

Does anyone know if the small house with the side stairs would be big enough for some Calico Critter furniture? I could bring the house down to the store and check it out since it's so small. I can just see it, walking into a store with the house trying in furniture. LOL. I think the Critters would fit but don't know about the furniture. They've come out with some new things that are really nicely made and not too expensive. The real Critters house is over $100.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be too small for Calico Critters - I think those are closer to 3/4" scale. But I don't have any Calico Critter's furniture so I can't say for sure. (My friend and I loved playing with them when we were kids, though! They were called Sylvanian Families then.)

Here's my progress for today - finished putting together the shell (roof isn't glued in yet though) and applying siding. Tomorrow I'll start painting.

post-7-1252904983_thumb.jpg post-7-1252904989_thumb.jpg

I decided I will add the porch roof. I sanded off the tabs and am planning to glue 45-degree angle blocks to the underside of the porch roof, and then to the side of the house. I got plain 1/4" square basswood to use as porch posts and some Glenowen spindles... pretty sure I have railings in my stash left over from the Fairfield.

It might be too small for Calico Critters - I think those are closer to 3/4" scale. But I don't have any Calico Critter's furniture so I can't say for sure. (My friend and I loved playing with them when we were kids, though! They were called Sylvanian Families then.)

Here's my progress for today - finished putting together the shell (roof isn't glued in yet though) and applying siding. Tomorrow I'll start painting.

post-7-1252904983_thumb.jpg post-7-1252904989_thumb.jpg

I decided I will add the porch roof. I sanded off the tabs and am planning to glue 45-degree angle blocks to the underside of the porch roof, and then to the side of the house. I got plain 1/4" square basswood to use as porch posts and some Glenowen spindles... pretty sure I have railings in my stash left over from the Fairfield.

What size is the house you just put the porch roof on, 1/2 scale or 1/12? The door looks like one I have on one of my Jeffersons. I have a 3/4 scale Rich Toys house in Masonite from 1932 I may use for my critters.

Here she is with paint. I took the picture before doing a second coat on the porch, so there's some uncovered wood filler visible, but after taking the picture I finished that up, too.

post-7-1252999214_thumb.jpg

The color is a lot.... pinker than I expected. The shade is called Belgian Waffle, and I got it for free through the Glidden promotion a few months back. I knew what it looked like when I picked it out, but since then somehow got it into my head that I'd ordered a yellow shade, so that's how I'd been envisioning the house. I like this color fine, just have to adjust my expectations a little bit!

(It's light and a little hard to see in the picture, so I put the window and door there for comparison...)

For the trim, I'm thinking a light gray might look pretty.

That is a lovely, subtle shade. The hint of pink gives a warm feeling to the dh. Light gray would be very pretty ... dark gray could look good, too. I think the contrast would make the main colour pop, if you know what I mean. The light gray will make a beautiful, soft finish to your dh. You have really transformed it into a handsome house!

Thanks. After I got over the "It looks like a creamsicle!" reaction, the color grew on me. :D

Won't have time to work on it today, but tomorrow I'm going to go to the craft store with a swatch to pick out a good gray to go with it.

The Calicos would be too big for this house. I have some of those.

I just put in two pics in the gallery of my little mice in and outside the house. I don't know if they are calico Critters or Sylvania. I've had them quite awhile. They don't really look too big but I have to check out the kitchen set I want to put in. Upstairs would be a bed. I don't know if a bathtub would fit. The kitchen has 40 accessories so I doubt they would all fit.

I think I remember the mice being a little bit smaller than the other animals? They do seem like a good fit. For the furniture I think it will depend on how true the scale is. I just tried some of my Tomy furniture (which is definitely 3/4") and it's too big. But if the Calico furniture is a little bit smaller than true 3/4" it might work.

If you don't want to take the house into the store, could you get the measurements of some of the furniture?

Fov, that's a beautiful house with the upgrades you did. I just posted pix of my Michaels house sample for a student fundraiser. It took too long w the shingles and in retrospect, they look too large altho I followed the roof pattern.

Any ideas for other shingles that are easier? I was thinking of the stencil sheet sides that have a row of rounded edges all the way down the sheet, the size is good, and to make cardboard shingles with those.

I just added some pics of the Calico Critters furniture and it fits pretty well but would be better in the other style house. The kitchen is really cute but has a hutch that would be too much furniture. I could make a little sofa with scrap wood. The bed upstairs is the bunk bed side by side. The little table takes up a lot of room for this house. The scale is good, just too many pieces. These are so much fun because it's really a toy house and doesn't have to go for realism. Gnomes and critters fit right in. :D

I picked up some gray paint today for the trim. There weren't too many shades to choose from... do you guys think this looks okay?

post-7-1253158684_thumb.jpg

(This is only after one coat. I'm planning to do another coat to even it out.)

Minis Over The Hill - I'm planning to shingle one by one, but making strips of cardboard shingles sounds like a good alternative. I made the fishscale shingles on my Fairfield that way and it worked well. (They're on the front of the house, not on the roof, but I don't see why that would make a difference.)

I just added three more pics of the wallpaper I just put in. I have a mouse family but will probably just have the lady mouse because there's only room for a living room chair I'll make in the downstairs, with the kitchen taking up most of it, and a bed upstairs. I may try and build a little bathroom in the part that goes over the front door. I'm going to do the outside a light gray green with forest green roof and trim. I think that will look good with the yellow interior. I just stained the floors and stairs like I do in my big houses and they came out pretty nice. I'll make some little rugs. I still have to put foundation strips all around the lower edge of the whole house and interior base boards and window trim. This has been fun to do.

You all have had such fun working on your Michaels' houses - I wish I had time to tackle a couple of the kits I stashed away. Not getting much mini time these days, family stuff has taken over! :p That's okay, I'm watching from the sidelines, and enjoying the show - for now. :cry: