I bought this house from micheals

asherah

I went back to Michael's today, as as the clerks up front were busy... decided to cruise around and see what I could find. I figured I'd check out the Fimo clay because I wanted, at the very least, to attempt the faerie sculpting tutorial I found posted here in the forums. One I snagged myself two packs of pale flesh-tone Fimo, off I went to head for the summer stuff, where we'd found a bunch of the Creatology 3D wooden puzzles before.

Five steps... okay, maybe more like 6 or 7 (Hey, I'm short!) and I was distracted by the wood "Stuff" section. I wandered over to look and see what miniatures they may have had, and lo and behold... THERE THEY WERE!

I almost embarassed myself, but thankfully the jubilant YES!!!! remained throughly in my head. These will be my first doll houses. They aren't horribly expensive either, so I don't have to worry as much about messing things up! I got one of the furniture sets, too!

I'm sooooo happy!! :)

Wow, those are so pretty, Tracy!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charissa, I just want you to know that you'll have fun building these. You must know though that there will be gaps and some of the parts are totally out of scale (like the shingles & trim work and stairs) Don't let this build determine if you'll be satisfied with another Brand kit (Like a Greenleaf hint hint :):doh: ) But you can have a lot of fun with these. I bought 6 for my youngest daughters sleep over party in June (Yeah, I am planning ahead ;) ) . Each girl can take home a small dollhouse cause I am gonna let them paint them. I'll assemble them and at this price, I could not pass them up.

Right now, they are working on their contest house (The girls decided to do one together and since they are having fun I thought it would be good for the sleep over)

Take pictures!! I wanna see what you all do to your houses!

LOL I actually wish I could go pick up a couple more sets for myself, and a one of each for my best friend- she'd LOVE this.

Since these aren't... how can I say it.. "professional" kits, I didn't expect they'd be as good a quality as the "real" thing. It is a start though :) And oh my gosh, you so make me wish I had a niece I'd be willing to spend time to do this with (... and who wouldn't destroy it in a hissy fit >.<, ugh). I'll have to see if I can't figure out a way to get at least another set of one each (Houses, Furniture) to share with my friend.

I like the contest house. I almost wish I could order one. I'd probably never be in time for the contest, but it'd still be fun.

Tracy is right, the scale is far from perfect. But I figure that gnomes are too, so it will work out-lol! Here is my ground floor. The floor needs a clear seal, haven't done the window and door trim yet, and there is a beamed ceiling waiting to be attached. I'm afraid if I don't finish the ground floor before I put the ceiling on, I won't have room to maneuver in there!

I had to think awhile about how to handle the glass in these windows, but if you are doing this model, PM and I'll tell you how I finally solved the problem.

gallery_3692_2999_127813.jpg

Sherry..... Why won't you post it here!!! (Yeah I'm whinning :) ) We all wanna know and then your fingers may get cramped because you'd have to kep typing the same thing over and over again :doh: I Love the floor and that color you used for the walls!

You're probably right, Tracy! I thought about putting frames around the windows, but it just wouldn't look right in the bays, there's simply not room for 2 sets of trim side by side. So what I did was buy a sheet of acetate out of the art section at Michaels'. Transparencies aren't thick enough to stand 'alone', and plexiglass would be too thick for the scale. But this acetate is very sturdy. I wanted it in a pale green, but all they had was Christmas green! Cut pieces to exactly fit and cover the entire panel on the inside of each section of the bay-this way there are no edges to show.

Now, the secret is that I stained the wood with a tinted gel medium, which works just like glue. Stain it, let it dry. Then brush the clear medium over it and lay the acetate on top! The gel dries absolutely clear like varathane, and the acetate sticks to it-but it doesn't look too shiny on top of the wood because the wood is already shiny. So no frames to crowd the window and no piece of plastic just glued on there! There's probably a better way, but not that I could think of!

and thanks-i don't normally do anything in the fall colors, so this is being an adventure for me. Glad you like it, wait until you see the shingles I have cut for it!

Holly, I just pulled the tape off the windows! Now I have the inside window trims drawn and ready to cut out and stain. Then I'll be ready to do the second floor. But don't expect much this week, we have something to do every single night-ugh!

I need suggestions, though. I want to put sod on the roof of each bay window. What is the best way to do that? Coffee grounds and train grass? Any better ideas? I'm carrying the flower petals/shingles to school with me to work on during lunch. I think I will try to score veins into them before gluing them down. We'll see how that goes-I may be cutting out more shingles.

The thought that has come to me is that the flowers around the house should not be mini-after all, this is supposed to be a mini house in a regular size garden. So, I am thinking of ways to landscape that won't be out of scale to the 'story', but not overpower the house. I have an idea I'm working on in my head, will have to see what I can find in the flower dept at Hobby Lobby to do it with.

Wow! I guess everyone is going nuts with the little puzzle houses! Traci, I bought some clear Patricia Nimocks matte sealer to seal the wood...do ya think that will work? I don't think I am coordinated to paint after I put it together. lol I would NEVER have imagined that house you made was from a little puzzle house! Incredible!

I am such a beginner!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

Here is a photo of the trim I cut for the windows. Just use the exterior frames for the round top windows as patterns. For the door, you can use the piece you punched out and draw trim around it. It fits pretty well that way. As soon as I do all the touchup on the plaster and trim, I'll put the ceiling on!

gallery_3692_2999_66899.jpg

I got a bit done tonite, although I nearly screwed up big time and glued the windows in without the glass! But I realized it before the glue dried, thank goodness. The second floor is on and the beams fit perfect. I've stained the edges and underside of the roof, and will plaster the second floor walls tomorrow. I'd take pictures but right now, it's covered in masking tape to hold things in place!

Has anyone else started on theirs? I can't wait to see what everyone does with them!

I've just gotten the primer to put on the walls and all. I figured it'd be easier to do that while they were still in sheets? I'm new, I dunno what I'm saying! :banana:

I got wood stain for the furniture, but honestly... I don't even know if it's better to paint it, then put it together or what. Trim now or later? O.o

I did have a question- since I've never seen one of these before, do the tab-ends stick out? Do you cut them off after you glue or what?

I did have a question- since I've never seen one of these before, do the tab-ends stick out? Do you cut them off after you glue or what?

I've not built these particular houses yet, but I have done other tab & slot kits - sometimes the tab ends stick out a bit and sometimes they don't. In the dry fit before gluing anything together if I see that the tabs are going to stick out considerably, I will cut them down before gluing the house together. If the tabs stick out just a tiny bit, I usually glue the house together & then sand the tabs down with my dremel. Before I got my dremel I sanded them down with cheap emery boards

I've not built these particular houses yet, but I have done other tab & slot kits - sometimes the tab ends stick out a bit and sometimes they don't. In the dry fit before gluing anything together if I see that the tabs are going to stick out considerably, I will cut them down before gluing the house together. If the tabs stick out just a tiny bit, I usually glue the house together & then sand the tabs down with my dremel. Before I got my dremel I sanded them down with cheap emery boards

I've got a Dremel- and sanding bits. My husband even asked why I was buying sandpaper yesterday when we got things. I told him it's because the Dremel can't get everywhere- and sometimes it's a little too much ... umpf, too. :banana:

Thank you for the clarification- that's what I was thinking, but ... >.> I really -really- wanted to be sure!

On the one I'm doing now, the bottom tabs and the ones on the gable really stick out. So I cut the ones on the gable off level when I dryfitted it and will sand once it's glued together. Then fill the gaps and you're ready to go. The ones on the windows will just need a bit of sanding to level them off.

Your house is looking GREAT! You're REALLY making me want to bust mine outta the package and start working on it....I MUST finish the fling first though.... =P

I look forward to seeing it finished.

What color did you use for staining the floors? I really like the shade...