HBS Contest

What you have to build is a miniature structure using only stripwood, from "scratch" (no parts from any kits), and I presume only with the stripwood sold at HBS (I buy mine from either Utrecht's or Hobbytown USA).

The contest is described: "It's time to put on those creativity caps! Just start with any of our Houseworks Strip Wood Products and let your imagination go wild. You can build almost anything with this stuff! Projects must be "made from scratch." (It is not permissible to start with a kit and embellish it with Strip Wood.)

This is an ideal contest for Hobby Groups or Miniature Clubs to work on together, as everyone can share ideas and building techniques. Working with Strip Wood is not difficult, and bouncing ideas off a fellow miniaturist is always helpful.

Check out our detailed building instructions for the Day House (left) by in-house miniaturist Sally Cook-Thomas. You'll find lots of great tips for working with Strip Wood.

Please do not send Polaroids or hard copies of photos. Digital photography is best. We advise using a tripod or placing your camera on a table to avoid blurriness due to camera movement. A plain, solid background will work best for judging and reproducing on our site. Good luck!"

and it doesn't mention only houses, so I don't see why furniture or garden structures such as fences, gates, gazabos & pergolas wouldn' be included.

The deadline is in September.

it doesn't mention only houses, so I don't see why furniture or garden structures such as fences, gates, gazabos & pergolas wouldn' be included

Holly brings up an interesting point, which got me thinking. It also says not to use the stripwood to embellish or enhance a kit and that it has to be scratch built using stripwood. However it does not say you have to build it with their strip wood (though i would advise using some of thiers) nor does it say that it has to be completely/only stripwood. Wouldnt that mean you could use foamcore or another kind of wood to build it and then embellish heavily with stripwood as those materials are not kits.

im not trying to be sneaky or anything like that. im just stating that nowhere does it say to use only stripwood to build the house.

I don't know, it does say "our Houseworks strip wood products". To me that means theirs, although I guess you could buy it elsewhere if it was available? As to the other ideas, foamcore, etc., I don't know what their ruling would be on that. I do look forward to seeing what others come up with for this, though!

Holly brings up an interesting point, which got me thinking. It also says not to use the stripwood to embellish or enhance a kit and that it has to be scratch built using stripwood. However it does not say you have to build it with their strip wood (though i would advise using some of thiers) nor does it say that it has to be completely/only stripwood. Wouldnt that mean you could use foamcore or another kind of wood to build it and then embellish heavily with stripwood as those materials are not kits.

im not trying to be sneaky or anything like that. im just stating that nowhere does it say to use only stripwood to build the house.

I think the idea is to start with stripwood and embellish it. You also have to include at least one picture taken during the build process, that seems to indicate the framework needs to be stripwood.

It also doesn't say it has to be a house, it could be a boat, a plane or just about anything at all.

Good luck to all who enter! Sounds like we will get a lot of new and interesting ideas to contemplate.

If you open the Instructions for Sally Thomas' little house, she used stripwood for the studs, joists, etc & foamcore for the "wallboard". For that matter you could build a vehicle, a dock, a portcullis, a catapult... I think the sky would literally be the limit, here (hey, an early biplane!).

• 2 months later...

Ernie is the owner of HBS, Hobby Builders Supply, website is http://www.miniatures.com.

Stripwood is strips of wood that you can use to build things. HBS sells the ones made by Houseworks.

Here is the info about the contest.

http://www.miniatures.com/hbs/global/Index...;ARTICLEID=1547

And here is the the link to all the stripwood products.

http://www.miniatures.com/hbs/global/Index...ALOGPAGEID=2621

Thanks Tracy.....Ernie must be the guy on the catalogue that's RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY

FACE. It's the winter 2009 issue. Sigh......sometimes it's hard to be clueless Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :giggle::D ;) :(:p