woodburning tool

miniwendy

Can you really use a woodburning tool for creating mini designs on wood, say for trim or some such? Or is it best left to summer campers decorating wooden jewelry boxes for mom?

I have a kids one, but have never used it for anything.

I have a sort of woodburning tool, but to be honest I don't think I could use it on minis.......besides it gets really hot and I remember burning my hand with a curling iron only too well.....I doubt I will use it. Doug gave it to me because he burned his hand....duh! What does he think I'm going to do with it?!

I have one, but you'd be surprised what I used it for! I and another teacher were the chairmen of a restoration project of a very old cemetery from the latter part of the 1800's, located on land the school district had inherited. It was in a beautiful spot on a hill beside a lake, and kids had torn it up, and a lot of headstones were missing. She and I found the original 'plat' of it in the county courthouse, and located all the graves missing headstones. DH cut markers out of cedar and I woodburned the names on them. We weeded, some men brought a mini-forklift and uprighted all the upended headstones, pulled up little trees in the wrong places, and it turned out pretty good. And yes, I had a few burns by the time it was over, not to mention scratches from berry bushes I didn't spot in time! I don't think I've used it since then.

What about using it to make your own crown molding? Seems like that could be done. Maybe burn in design, sand, and paint or stain.

That's kind of what I had in mind- crown moulding or some other type of trim. Although making signs and creating authentic looking beams sound like great ideas!!!

Fascinating story about the tombstones!