Willowcrest

DougP

I have a new in box, unbuilt Willowcrest that I bought in November 1998. A show on DIY network got me thinking about it again so tonight I opened it up to see if it's still OK after a decade and 4 moves. Looks great, and I'm sure my wife would like to see it built.

Then I had the bright idea to come here looking for info on this house, and I see that's it is a rather desirable discontinued model.

My dilemma: I just became unemployed, so I have a bit of time on my hands between job searching and I'd enjoy spending that time building the kit. But now I'm tempted to put it on eBay and turn it into $$.

What would you do?

Most of us are die-hard Greenleaf builders here, Doug. Unless it were absolutely necessary to sell a kit, I'm sure over 90% of us would want to keep it to build. But on the other hand, there are lots on here who would love the idea that you might sell yours so I say it's a personal choice.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

I'd Build it. Your wife will be so happy to have this house. Last week one just sold for under $90 so I can tell you, you never know what price you'll get from selling it on ebay but you can be sure to get that winning hug of love from your wife for building this kit for her!! Now that's...... Priceless :blink:

Build it. Its worth the build and it will be a heirloom you can enjoy with your wife for years and years.

You wont get that much money for it to really make a difference anyways, unless you get that rare person whos willing to give any amount just to have the discontinued kit. (That was me before my friend found me one.) Dont expect to get much for it on eBay though because they pop up every once in a while there so if you price it too high, people will just wait for another cheaper one to come around.

And having the Willowcrest to work on will be good therapy while you are job-hunting. Think of it as a stress-buster during what's going to otherwise be a stressful time.

Best of luck to you in your job search and in your Willowcrest build. It's a beautiful house!

Okay, I found the one that sold on ebay (Was longer than a week ago :blink: but, it only sold for $59 (item # 330261622720 ) So I really would just build it. When I bought mine last year off ebay, I got it for $37 and was totally shocked no one beat me to it. it was brand new and never opened and the plastic wrapping was still on it. Some of us do wait until our price shows up for it.

If you do decide to sell it, post it on the community trading post here instead of going to evil bay. You'll probably get a better price for it and won't have to pay fees to get your money. I can tell you from personal experience selling dollhouse kits here that the people here are very honest and will truly appreciate the dollhouse.

However, I say build it. It is my favorite dollhouse. I already have one, or I'd be begging to buy yours. Your wife will absolutely love it.

For inspiration in building...check out deb's willowcrest, Willowfaire, and butterflyex's willowcrest and also her blog on building it. It's full of info that will come in handy during the build.

Terri

OK, thanks to all for the advice. I started the build tonight.

Well, I read the instructions and drooled over the blogs :blink: . Tomorrow I'll convert my workshop for this project and get my wife to start thinking about interior decorations.

For the exterior, I haven't decided on much other than to add a row or two of different roof tiles, idea stolen from the blog pics.

I've also been thinking about using a "stone" foundation. Are you guys familiar with the cool stuff available at Hirst Arts? Check out Hirst Arts Homepage

I'm thinking the fieldstone wall would look cool. See #70 on this page.

Now I just need to find a source of minis on Austin.

Hmmm. I would say sell it if you need the money and get an orchid. (Nice house and you can get one pretty inexpensive from Hobby Lobby). You have had the Willowcrest for 10 years, so you need to decide if you want a house that large. Why did you wait so long?

Otherwise, if you don't need the cash, you want a nice size house with an unusual design and have the time - I say GO for it!!

Doug I LOVE Hirsts items. My sons best friend and I are creating a scene using some of their product (He plays warhammer games) The stones are not the correct scale for the Willowcrest but I agree that, that type of stone pattern would look great on the Willowcrest!

Peggi let me play with her Bromley stencils and I'm going to order a set ASA my budget recovers from what I did to it in Atlanta Saturday! I'm so glad you decided to build the kit, Doug. I'm going to do mine with granite quoins on the corners, probably brick the rest at least up to the bottom of the third floor, y'all know how much I love to shingle those dormers & gables!

I am so glad you are going to build it! please post lots of pictures here on the forum! i'll be building mine sometime this next year and would love to see in progress photos!

Welcome to the forum :monkeydance: