Heaven Help Me, I'm Remodeling a Dollhouse!

mellie

:p Hi, It's Mellie from Texas and I just purchased a remodel job and haven't a clue! After reading some of the posts, I feel I am probably starting a journey that will be very ROCKY to say the least, but after seeing all your houses, am sure the rewards will be worth it! I had always wanted a dh but never had one. I grew up and had 3 boys and a dh just didn't seem to be in the picture. Now I have a precious Grandbaby and "It's a GIRL"! This site seems to have some wonderful information and lots of you willing to help. I am going to try to attach a picture and hopefully someone will have some information on the brand, etc.After seeing all your wonderful houses, I am sure this remodel will lead me to want to make one from the start......or not?! ;)

post-3515-1222065937_thumb.jpg

:p Melanie and welcome ;)

No idea what your house is but there will be lots of people who will know :o

Main thing is the shingles are ON!!!! (i hate shingling ) :p

Looking forward to seeing your progress :) :)

Welcome to the forum faamily, Mellie. We're glad you're here.

I haven't yet remodeled a house, but I've rehabbed two and I have a Pierce awaiting the same, and my preference is to take them apart as much as possible to get at all the places for decorating and work on the floors and ceilings; I stripped the shingles off the roof of the last one because the WHOLE house had originally been built with hot glue and was falling apart. The window inserts had been hot-glued and melted and fell right off, and the doors and shutters glued in place, so it all came off; I wound up building new doors & windows from scratch. If yours is structurally sound and you're otherwise happy with it you may just want to do a cosmetic restoration. That's a tad simpler, but with the house already built it can get tricky where there are hard-to-reach areas.

Warm water to which you add a bit of white vinegar softens wallpaper paste well enough to strip & scrape off wallpaper, especially if the walls have been well-primed first. If you like the floor treatments and they aren't on templates you'll want to put down waxed paper and masking tape to protect them. Do watch out for the electrics, if your house has them. Once it's stripped and before you redecorate you'll want to take pictures of all the wiring to help you later with installing fixtures. I'd also try to carefully remove or mask off the windows; the plastic inserts are a bear to clean and scratch easily, but also easy to replace.

It sounds like you're in for lots of fun. Of course, IMO buiding is the most fun, but rehabbing is almost as much.

Thank you for the welcome and advice. I "oops" and asked my question about my house in the New Member Section and then realized I should have been in the appropriate forum group for that. Sorry, but I am new to this and will make lots of errors. I'll go to the appropriate topic and answer and ask more questions. Thank you all for the welcome.

Hugs :D

Welcome to the forum :D

I'm sure your remodeling will go just fine. Ask lots of questions -- this forum is filled with the most knowledgeable and wonderful people.

Don't forget to enjoy your project.

B)

Welcome Mellie, and congrats on the granddaughter! :D

Posting in this section just let us get to know you a little better!

I'm rehabing a Pierce. Its very satisfying to watch the transformation. Take lots of before and after shots (and post them online - you get to have a gallery after 5 posts). Then we can watch your journey.

Your house is very similar to my Christmas project: the Duracraft Farmhouse. I see that its the bigger sibling.

Good luck with the house!

thank you all for the replies and info. It is the Dura Craft Benningham and after looking at all the beautiful houses you all have done, it seems to need a lot of TLC. I am just sooooo excited to know who she is!!! Thank you!