Stairs

kellee

Stairs  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer your stairs to be facing the front or back of the house ?

• Front of house
    • Back Of house
    • it depends on the house

I have seen the stairs put in both ways and was wondering WHY? do you put your stairs in the way you do.!

I put the stairs in the Tiffany so that when looking in the back of the house you see the underside of the stairs.. I did that so I could use that space to display Christmas Items.!

I hope everyone can understand what I mean....

Kellee

Good question Kelly. I have wondered about this too, and if there is a "right way". For me, it depends on the house, and where the stairs will end. Will they be too close to the front door, etc. In the Plantation house I am working on now, I had always pictured them with the stair side facing the back, but then I realized that if I turned them around, I would have space in the upstairs hall for a little powder room towards the front of the house, and I could hide the lighting wires and power strip in a closet under the stairs. Luckily, there is room for the front door to open with the stairs this way. Also, I am one who doesn't have a problem with leaving stairs out all together if it benefits the floor plan. I just think of them as being on the other side of the house that you can't see.

Depends on the house...and how the kit was intended..and whether I like the stairs or not. I really like the staircases in the Greenleaf houses, so keep them there and put them in the way the kit suggests...but lots of other folks don't like them, and leave them out entirely. A matter of personal choice, I guess.

For me, it depends on the house and what I have in mind for it. If I have a great tapestry runner maybe I want that to face the front? Its just a personal preference. I am one of those people that have to have the stairs in the house though. Some people can do without but its always the first thing that kids ask you if you don't have stairs... how do they get upstairs???

I also think it depends on the house and one's personal preference. The stairs in my San Franciscan will be facing the front of the house because I also want to use the area below the stairs for a furniture arrangement and want to be able to see everything when looking into the back of the house. I didn't do a very good job of sanding my front door so it only opens about an inch, so it's hard to look in through the front.

For me it depends on the house....... I too love the Greenleaf stairs, and will leave them pretty much alone - except I usually add a railing if I can. I like the bannisters that are curved, easier for tiny hands to grasp. As for whether they face front or back - this depends on the house for me. In the Arthur I made a closet area under those stairs. In other houses, a bookcase or something. One can be totally creative with the stairs. Or just leave them out if you want more floor space. I don't usually put a staircase in the 2nd floor if I intend to have an attic over it. I just make a faux opening to the attic with picture frame and put a little knob where one could put a ladder up and open the "attic door" and get up into it that way. It looks pretty good, and I can thus use the space that those stairs up to the attic would take.

I like to be able to see up a staircase, so I'd be more likely to change things around so I can see. In my Westville I didn't like that i couldn't see up the staircase so i turned the whole thing sideways. I really like it.

Also, I am one who doesn't have a problem with leaving stairs out all together if it benefits the floor plan. I just think of them as being on the other side of the house that you can't see.

I pretend the same thing! When I was a girl I loved making the dolls walk up the stairs so I liked if they faced me, but now I would say accessibility isn't important so whatever fits the floor plan or leave them out if they take up too much room like in the Orchid!

For me, it depends on the house and what I have in mind for it.

Me too. I have put staircases every which way, including sideways and building "hidden" staircases -- behind closed doors and not really there at all, and the other style of hidden whereby only the first couple of steps show. These allow me to "have" a staircase but not have to have the room for the staircase.

Toad Hall - sideways and open underneath-- didn't take needed room from the width of the room:

post-47-1214407285_thumb.jpg

La Malcontenta - hidden stairs (only the ones that show are built) to the attic rooms. The stairs don't appear in the attic either -- just "behind" doors in the rooms to a "rear" hallway:

post-47-1214407304_thumb.jpg

When I have the room, I like to do staircases facing the viewer for both front and rear open houses.

:)

I think it definitely depends on the house. Stairs to me are an important feature and one of my favorites...I might be silly but the stair design on some houses started my interest in that house. Like the Glencroft. LOVE the stairs on that.

I am like a kid on the stairs too, how do you get upstairs without them. I am even considering adding stairs to the newburg to get to the attic. I'll see after I get the furniture kits done and see how much room there it. Probably not enough. Maybe I can do pull down stairs.

Terri

• 3 weeks later...

I built the Haunted House with the stairs facing front with a runner, and decided thereafter if I was going to have a stairrunner they'd face ME! I made the Orchid into a General Store, so it made more sense to have the stairs from the storeroom to the family living quarters face back. Maggie's stairs worked out perfectly the way they were.

I think for me it will depend on the house. My orchid which is my first house i am building i decided to leave the stairs out to have more room. I would probably do the stairs in most houses facing me as i think it is easier to use them that way and nicer for decorating using a runner but if there was enough room i would do them facing the front of the house also if i decided to make an extra little room under the stairs i would face them to the front. I guess i really have no real preference either way it would more depend on what the house wanted when i build it.

I have thought about doing an altered staircase in my Arthur which i will be building next so that the stairs go down towards the front but then have a landing and come down the last few stairs facing the back. I have a big bash planned for that house in practice for the bash i want to do on the Garfield

it depends on the house for me. i usually make sure there are always stairs of some kind in the house though. In the orchid i left them out because there isnt much floor space.

generally the only time i like to see stairs facing the front of the house is when the dollhouse is front-opening itself. unless there is room for a real hall/stairwell in the house, i say leave the stairs out. my opinion.

For me it depends on the instructions. Im too lazy to bash them different so I settle with whatever way they were intended to be put in....:rolleyes:

I personally like when they face the back of the house so you can actually see them.