Asphalt shingles???

texandziggy

So I'm currently working on the Dura-craft Cambridge. I'm leaning heavily towards roofing it with asphalt shingles as opposed to the cedar shake shingles that came with the kit. It's simply a personal preference but I like the look of an asphalt roof much more.

Before I go out and buy a whole bunch of them, I was wondering if anyone had used asphalt to roof a dh before, and if so, how did it go? Are dh asphalt shingles really made of asphalt? I'm also pretty curious to know what sort of glue you used to affix them to the house? If they're made of asphalt I don't know what sort of glue to use on them.

I used the roll of asphalt singles on the roof of my McKinley and they look fabulous! They went on easier with just tacky glue. I haven't notice any problems with them yet. As far as what they are made of, they feel and look like real asphalt shingles to me.

I used the roll of asphalt singles on the roof of my McKinley and they look fabulous! They went on easier with just tacky glue. I haven't notice any problems with them yet. As far as what they are made of, they feel and look like real asphalt shingles to me.

I was thinking going the tacky glue route. Do you have any pics of your McKinley roof I can take a look at??

I found the tacky glue doesn't work that well on the asphalt shingles I used on my Willowcrest and on my Beaumont. I love the look of them, Yes they are really made of asphalt. I used Tacky glue on the Beaumont, and it took forever. I used Quick Grip glue on the Willowcrest (until I ran out, then I used hot glue...but hot glue burns your fingers when used with asphalt shingles)!

post-1004-1211811190_thumb.jpg

post-1004-1211811234_thumb.jpg

I wanted to do asphalt on my Dura-craft Newport Cape, but didn't want to take out a real mortgage on my dollhouse to just do the roof so I bought a bag of the cheapest shingles at HBS hoping they'd be thin and could take texturized paint well. They're great. I glued them down with about 1/8" gap between shingles and that allowed me to spray the roof and get the sides of the shingles. There are so many types of texturized spray paint out there that you can have tons of looks. And it ended up costing me a fraction of what buying the asphalt shingles would have. I still want to try the asphalt rolls, but maybe on a smaller project.

I used asphalt shingles on my Pierce, Tennyson, and BH. I didn't have any problem getting them to stick with tacky glue, just took my time. I like the look much better than the wooden shingles and I only use them on houses I do for kids. They do cost more but, I think they are easier to use since you don't have to paint or stain them and they are easier to cut to fit at the gables and valleys.

I used the rolls of asphalt shingles on my Washington rehab -- they seemed to work just fine. I used the Aleen's tacky glue and had no problem with them staying in place. They cut with scissors to fit around the chimney and otherwise look great. As best I can tell they are real asphalt material.

I use 60-80 grit sandpaper to simulate asphalt shingles because of the cost and the weight. I did use the cedar shakes that came with my Cambridge kit when I built it, and I love how they look.

Hi Lance,

I used spray paint I bought at Hobby Lobby by Krylon called Make It Stone! (textured paint). They have 3 or 4 colors and it looks just like asphalt. You can check out my roof on my Harley workshop in my gallery. It is black and speckled with white. Very easy to apply.

Suzanne

Thanks everyone for all the posts. You guys helped me make up my mind. Looks like asphalt is the way I'll be going.

Guess that means it's time to break out the ol' Visa again. *sigh* Oh well...by the time this house is finished I'll have invested in it roughly the yearly budget of Ecuador. When ya' look at it that way, what's another couple of bucks???

I used asphalt on the Arthur. I bought the last 2 rolls on clearance at AC Moore. Turns out it wasn't enough so I ordered from miniatures.com. The were blacker that what I had used so I dry brushed them with white and the blend in pretty good.

I used a glue gun putting them on and that went well.

post-2940-1211956728_thumb.jpg

I used real roofing shingles from Lowes that I cut by hand to shingle my roof. For a bundle they only cost me $15. I am not certain how to post pictures - this pic is older. (This is my first house)

I'm with Rhonda on this one... check out ACMoore before they're all gone, because they are clearnancing a lot of the mini stuff and I stocked up on the rolls of asphalt shingles as well.

I have. I used strips of sandpaper, painted and cut them out to look like shingles. You can check them out in my gallery.

The house I am working on now I spray painted the roof with stone spray in gotham grey. Very easy and looks good too.

post-3005-1212026673_thumb.jpg

Edited by vertigokitten

I used 80grit sand paper on my Spring Fling for asphalt shingles. I went with a light color sandpaper because it better with the house.

It was easy for me to work with though I could tell I need a bit more experience just working with shingles in genreal.

Here is how the sand paper looked on mine.

gallery_2730_1970_100625.jpg