It's Here ... Now What!!!

jrs

The Harrison is quite an undertaking! Is that your first DH? Also I read the post about the baby's ear infection... is she better now? and the back seat?

Yes this is my first dollhouse ... I particularly like the part of the instructions that says "DON'T PANIC" ... Cara is doing much better thank you for asking, she is almost back to herself ... she slept most of the day... the back seat took some time but I finally got it clean.

I suspect I will be on quite often seeking some great advice on how to complete this undertaking.

I'm glad to hear your little one is feeling better. I remember those days. It is so difficult to see them not feel good. As for the Harrison, congrats on a great house. I built the Glencroft. I could decide between it or the Harrison but picked it because it was smaller. It was a fun build. I hope you enjoy yours!!

Thank you all for the well wishes my daughter was herself this morning (and so is the father)... although giving her the antibiotic is always a challenge.

We have a 2 BR apt however my sister offered to let me use her basement.... I am thinking I may take her up on it even though it will take me that much longer to complete. Also my six year old niece may want to help!

In any case I hope to get started this weekend or next week week. I just pulled the instructions to figure out where to begin.

BTW should I be sanding all the pieces on all sides? What grit paper do you recommend?

Jeff

Thank you all for the well wishes my daughter was herself this morning (and so is the father)... although giving her the antibiotic is always a challenge.

We have a 2 BR apt however my sister offered to let me use her basement.... I am thinking I may take her up on it even though it will take me that much longer to complete. Also my six year old niece may want to help!

In any case I hope to get started this weekend or next week week. I just pulled the instructions to figure out where to begin.

BTW should I be sanding all the pieces on all sides? What grit paper do you recommend?

Jeff

You need to sand wherever you think it needs to be sanded! Certainly the edges. I sand everything, several times, starting with medium grit and working to fine. I especially sand the sheets that will turn into floors, as generally I score those to look like planking, then sand, or varnish "as is", so the smoother the better.

I find that wallpaper lays easier over sanded (and primed) walls; shingles adhere better to sanded roofs; window frames stick on better to sanded outside walls, and so forth.

Have fun with your build!

The Harrison is definitely on my wish-list, too! I use 60- to 80-grit for shingles and 100 & up for sanding. Actually I use emery boards (not the acrylic nail ones, regular sandpaper ones) for door & window openings. I use the sandpaper that sometimes comes with the kit, which is usually 120-grit or finer; I attach it to the sanding block DH made us long ago, that still works as well as anything I've tried ready-made (I gave directions to make one in the March Greenleaf Gazette).

• 5 months later...

Congrats...make sure to update how the build is going. I would take your sister up on that offer especially if it comes with free baby care.

I've been thinking of picking up the Harrison too.....although mostly because I can get it locally....its either that or order the Pierce.