What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Good going, Roxy! It must be that clear desert air. :D

Our trip to New Orleans was uneventful, a good thing. We got settled in fairly quickly. There was water dripping from the bathroom ceiling, which put a scare into us. We're still very much aware of last spring's major roof leak. Turned out to be a clogged drain pipe in the A/C unit. A quick blowout by a serviceman and all is well again.

So nice to be where the weather is in the mid 70s. Slight cooling today but heading back to very comfy in the next couple of days.

Welcome home, Bennetts. After the new year maybe y'all can come crash with us this time.

Sometimes "uneventful" is a good thing!!! Welcome home!

Thank you both. We'd barely gotten the car unloaded when Lloyd headed over to the Riverfine Grocery for a fried oyster loaf. <slurp> :thumb:

...or we could come back and visit with y'all and eat oyster loaves (and all y'all don't know what you're missing until you;ve died and gone to Heaven and eaten one of their oyster loaves!)

Thought that would get your attention ... lol

What is an "Oyster Loaf"? Meatloaf with oysters??? lol I grew up on the seashore and a friend of my parents worked on the oyster farm. We ate so many of those things I couldn't look at one since! We use to have a big dump truck come to our house and they would dump the oyster shells on the driveway instead of stone. Didn't mean to ruin your dreams of tasty oyster loaf but I was going back to my childhood.

• Like 1

Apparently I live in a totally different Southern universe,Roxy,as I had to look up Oyster loaf-it's a big sandwich. We always called them po'boys. But,I'm sure there's more to the loaf that Kathie or Holly can inform us. I love fried oysters! And IF I know where they came from,I'll have them raw-yum! Sorry,but that and a beer-heavenly!

We use to eat Oyster Stew...all I can think of is those slimy pieces of oyster floating in with the potatoes........Very New England but not for me! I will eat and have eaten most anything from the sea but oysters.......not so much!

Out here we can't get real seafood unless you drive to Santa Fe to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. I agree with you Kat, I have to know where the seafood came from before I will eat it. My Dad was a huge salt water fisherman back when I was a kid we ate so much of it all the time. My favorite was flounder fresh caught.

• Like 1

Oh,Roxy-fresh caught flounder-you were so lucky!!! Haven't had it in ages-my dad absolutely lived to go fishing on weekends my whole childhood and when he first retired. But that was a long time ago.

I do love raw oysters,as I said,and fresh caught shrimp,but I haven't had them in quite awhile. I can't afford to buy fresh seafood,plus I don't know if I would trust our local (Gulf) fresh caught seafood since the BP oil spill. I've heard so many things saying it is safe/it isn't safe,so who knows? I'm not sure I'd risk it yet,even if I could afford it...

• Like 2

The oyster loaf is a po'boy without all the lettuce & stuff; it's as many oysters as will fit in a split baguette (loaf of French bread). Gulf oysters are the sweetesst oysters in the whole world!

Actually ... a traditional oyster loaf is is fried oysters on a whole french bread baguette. It's 32 inches long. You can order it dressed (with shredded lettuce, pickles and tomatoes) or undressed (plain). Old timer purists want only butter. Some shops add mayonnaise by request.

A po' boy is a 9 inch sandwich with the same options.

Oyster and shrimp are the most popular choices. You can order a half-and-half loaf. The secret of the best sandwich is in the bread. If it's not from Leidenheimer Baking Company, don't bother. From the website: In a city like New Orleans, where eating is almost a religion, producing the perfect French bread is a sacred mission to the employees of Leidenheimer Baking Company.

It's too close to supper time to be talking about this! <drooling>

Don't get me started on muffulettas. :D

When we were there one sandwich did for the four of us! Kathie, on our trip coming back we hit an Indian restaurant in Sebring that served chapatis that were so light they almost floated off the plate, and crisp and tasty! but the naan was almost deliscious enough to work as a side dish on its own (I'm a sucker for ethnic breads!).

I bought some fresh salmon at the local grocery today. We've already enjoyed fresh tuna steaks. We love seafood. There's none to be had in Marshall, MO.

Our local market (Rouse's) is now selling fresh goat. That surprised me.

Our local market (Rouse's) is now selling fresh goat. That surprised me.

Kathie! :ohmy: Goat!!! I gave my son goat's milk when he was an infant because he was lactose intolerant and the soy products weren't that great.

We have elk and bison here in the stores. I don't eat red meat thank goodness.

I did go to a salmon bake a couple of weeks ago. The people brought the fresh sockeye salmon all the way from Alaska...it was YUMMY!!!

Considering I am a vegetarian and I only like tuna, salmon & halibut when it comes to seafood, I feel quite lucky to live close to the coast and in the middle of all the best salmon fishing as well. Ecola Seafood Market in Cannon Beach rocks! Fresh canned tuna and Starkist are NOT the same thing!

Kathie, I have a recipe for goat curry from back when our local grocery stores in Gadsden County had a price war over goat meat; the Quincy IGA priced our little local Havana meat market out of business and then promptly stopped carrying goat. Goat korma is on the menu of some Indian restaurants, but I don't get it since our local places use mutton; if I want mutton, I order mutton, and when I want goat I don't want mutton.

And canned salmon shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with fresh salmon.

Well, I'm just about sick of this week !!

We've had 2 nights of all nighter vomiting sessions followed by many loads of bedding in the wash, middle of the night showers, heartbreaking times of sitting on the bathroom floor with a little head in my lap and a bucket close by, multiple calls to the pediatrician, 2 trips to the MD's, 2 trips to the hospital for tests, 3 new scrips, 2 birthday parties at our house, a day off from school for Veterans day with play dates and now just started a round of diarrhea.

Enough already !!!

Sorry to hear you are going through all of that Selkie!!! I hope your house returns to "normal" soon and everyone feels better!

I was going to town today to shop but I found out that the garage door man is suppose to come and fix the door this morning. He came to look at it in July and it took him this long to get back here??? Manyana!!!

Oh, Selkie! Many hugs to you and the brood.

Holly, I did a little research on goat and found multiple points of view as to taste and nutrition and cooking methods. I found out that older goat is called mutton, so what your restaurant was serving was probably goat, not senior sheep meat. The opinions were weighted in favor of never eating goat mutton -- the younger the goat, the better. And most recipes called for braising and stewing and other long-cooking methods to break down innate toughness. I'm not in a hurry to try any.

On the mini front: I was going to get started on the Beacon Hill, but the pottery shop sitting next to the computer is in dire need of rescue. It stayed in the condo during the flood recovery period and was moved around (in our absence) by some not-terribly-careful handlers. Doors need to be rehung, one removable roof section is missing its braces, broken pots need to be stacked in a new dump outside the door. Time to get the place spiffed up again!

Selkie, time to stock up on the yogurt and consider becoming hermits! Kathie, I wondered if your NOLA minis had managed to avoid damage from the flood; I'm sick to hear about your pottery shop! I did not realise both goats and sheep become mutton in their old age. We got hooked on goat meat when a whort-lived African restaurant in Tallahassee had a curried goat stew on their menu that was melt-in-your mouth GOOD! When I made it I slow cooked it in an iron pan in a slow oven all day' now I'd probably cook it in the crockpot.

Our framing for the workshop is up and today was supposed to be the concrete pour; but rain was in the forecast, and sure enough, our Alan Sealls had it pegged; it's wet outside. Monday it's supposed to pour rain, so no concrete poured until after then.