Cautiously optimistic

Deb

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the encouragement and positive thoughts. It's been 48 hours since the tests were done so they should have gotten the results of my labs and x-rays today. I should hear from the Dr tomorrow with the results. He said he'd call me after he got the results and had a chance to look at them. I'm hopeful that he'll have some answers and a course of action.

Deb

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got round to this part of the forum Deb, soooo happy you got rid of the other doc and this new one seems to know his game! AND has better bedside manner as well huh?!? :wave: OK, so I took out my military look boots with steel caps (don't ask LOL) dusted them off and they still fit so I am ready to do some stomping as well, something I have some experience in doing.... Am sending rewal postiive thoughts and energy your way and will send a cleansing spell on its way as well!!!!

:)

HUGS!!!!!!

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the encouragement and positive thoughts. It's been 48 hours since the tests were done so they should have gotten the results of my labs and x-rays today. I should hear from the Dr tomorrow with the results. He said he'd call me after he got the results and had a chance to look at them. I'm hopeful that he'll have some answers and a course of action.

Deb

Did you get the call?

Did you get the call?

<sighing> I called them yesterday since I hadn't heard anything and found out that they have my x-rays back, but not the lab results. Apparently the lab that does the blood work has run out of the serum used for the FT3 and FT4 tests and are waiting to get a new shipment in. It'll be Monday or Tuesday before they'll have the results. I swear, you wouldn't think it would be this hard just to get started on a course of treatment! But I've been waiting four months for some help, so I guess a couple more days won't be too hard to wait.

In the meantime, I've been doing a lot of research, got some books on dealing with autoimmune disease and Grave's Disease and started doing my mantra meditations again. I'm going to start doing yoga again too. That'll be back to square one since there's no way I can do the level I used to do years ago. After I've been doing the yoga for awhile and get some energy and flexibility back, then I'll add in tai chi.

Right now I'm off to the eye doctor and we'll see what he has to say. I'm not really looking forward to having my eyes dilated, measured, or having strips of paper stuck in my tear ducts to measure tear production, but if that's what they gotta do, then it's what they gotta do.

Deb

Oh, Deb, bummer on the test delays. But it sounds as if you have a PLAN no matter what the tests prove or disprove. Keep up the good spirits. Sending positive vibes across the prairie to you.

I'm back and still blinking and wearing shades, but for a change I have good news and had to let y'all know immediately. No Sjogrens! Yay!! Also no macular degeniration, glaucoma or cataracts and, at this time, no signs of any damage caused by RA. Actually, I was quite impressed with this guy. He knew more about autoimmune diseases than most of the md's I've seen! As soon as I said "RA and Graves" to him, he immediately started the full spectrum of tests. He ran around 12 different tests in addition to a regular vision exam. He even talked to me about fish oil suppliments and not just for my eyes....he knew that they're helpful for RA joints as well and recommended one that's more gentle on the liver than other alternatives. I want this guy to treat me for everything!!

Bottom line is clogged tear ducts and chronic dry eye which could be either Graves or RA since both are symptoms of either one. But he gave me some gel and a routine for eye washes which will help. There's some delayed responses and more issues with my right eye than my left but for whatever reason, most of my overall body symptoms are on the right side. The endo picked up on that because of the right collarbone and the fact that my right eyelid droops more than the left when I'm tired. Anyway, he got the test results I needed for the endo, including ruling out Graves opthamology. That's a huge YAY!!!

And <sigh> a 'script for glasses. I knew that was coming. I've worn glasses since I was 8 but stopped actually wearing them about 10 years ago. I just kinda got used to things far away being fuzzy. Now my distance vision is better, but my arms aren't long enough to read fine print. So I picked out the frames (I hate doing that) and got the glasses ordered.

Bifocals. Okay, so far this week, I've been told I may have rheumatoid arthritis and that I need bifocals. Bruce asked where I wanted to go for lunch and I said anywhere but Denny's. <cackle>

But overall, the news is good today. The problems with my eyes are treatable and there's no sign of damage right now. If I continue to be pro-active and the endo is also proactive in treating my AI problems, there's going to be less chance of that damage occuring........or at least limiting it. I also stopped on the way home and got a beginner's yoga dvd. That'll get me started till I can order a Lilias dvd. (and if you remember Lilias, you can join me in the bifocal section!)

Deb

Yay!!! Atleast it isn't Sjogren's and I bet you will still be drop dead gorgeous in those specs and you could always slide them down your nose when looking at someone that annoys you giving them "the over the edge LOOK...." :) and they know they are in trouble!!!! See, the kick butt shoes did all what one had hoped for, will keep them next to me, promise!!!!

:hugs:

Fantastic results, Deb!

As for glasses ... both my sis and bro wore them from age 12 or so. I didn't get them until age 43 -- and then I went straight into tri-focals, have worn them ever since. Reading/computer/distance all in one. Changing glasses for different tasks would make me goofy (goofier?). :)

Bifocals. Okay, so far this week, I've been told I may have rheumatoid arthritis and that I need bifocals. Bruce asked where I wanted to go for lunch and I said anywhere but Denny's. <cackle>

Deb

Next thing you know you are going to be asking for some Porcelana, Geritol, and a frequent flyer card for the early bird special down the street.

Glasses are the cool thing nowadays. I see some really gorgeous frames when the girls go to get their glasses changed. Chelsea is partial to Nicole Miller.

*I should talk..I have not been to the eye dr in quite awhile*

Deb, I'm glad you got some good news.

Hey, I've worn glasses since 4th grade. I gave up my noline bifocals recently because they just couldn't get them to work right for me and I got sick of the whole thing. I have regular glasses, computer glasses, reading glasses and sunglasses.

Changing glasses for different tasks would make me goofy (goofier?).
..from Kathie

maybe that explains it? nah, I've always been goofy, even when I wore only one pair.

you could always slide them down your nose when looking at someone that annoys you giving them "the over the edge LOOK...."

<cackle> I do that even when I'm wearing sunglasses..............and after they get "the LOOK", I extend my middle finger and use it to slowly slide them back up my nose. It's a very effective move. <cackle, snort>

Glasses are the cool thing nowadays. I see some really gorgeous frames when the girls go to get their glasses changed. Chelsea is partial to Nicole Miller.

The ones I got are something like these.........copper colored wire frames, but they have little chain link segments on the ear pieces by the hinges. When I think back over the types of glasses I've had over the years it's really funny. My first pair in 3rd grade were light blue cat's eye frames. During the late 60's, I had granny glasses and during the 70's, it was octogon shaped wire frames. Sometime during my jr high years, I had purple frames, and during the 80's and 90's, they were more of a "take-me-serious-I'm-a-business-woman" look. I think I've run the gamut of styles over the years with one exception. I will *never* put on rhinestone frames.

Reading/computer/distance all in one. Changing glasses for different tasks would make me goofy (goofier?).

Yeah, I went for the progressive lenses too. No lines and they work with peripheral vision too plus they have the uv glare resistance coating for computer work. At this point, with my Graves "brain fog", I'd never be able to remember which pair to put on for what activity!

Now if only the test results could hurry so the new Dr. can start your treatment.

It would sure help if we could get moving on treating some of this stuff! I'm glad to be able to eliminate a few concerns here, but treating the problems I do have would sure be helpful.

Next thing you know you are going to be asking for some Porcelana, Geritol, and a frequent flyer card for the early bird special down the street.

<whacking Heidi with a rolled up sheet of wallpaper> :)

Deb

So sorry you've been going through all this Deb. I, also, have multiple auto immune disorders. So, I know how hard it is to have all these symptoms and have doctors pat you on the head and send you on your way like your some kind of hypochondriac and your making stuff up. Or, better yet, put you on all kinds of meds that don't do anything but give you more problems because of the side effects. I'm glad you finally found a doctor that appears to be listening to you and hope you get a diagnosis soon. That's half the battle. Don't give up. And, try not to stress over it. Stress is a factor in most autoimmune disorders. Hugs to you and good luck with the new doctor.

Deb, I'm sorry I've not been around to hear of all the good news prior to today! Congratulations on both of your new doctors! I'm so glad you are finally being helped with your problems....and that things are set in motion to get you back to being healthy again!

Good vibes going your way too for all your health issues, in fact I'm including everyone with health issues!

Well, I got part of my test results back today. The lab still hasn't gotten the bloodwork done so there's no definitive answer about the thyroid and RA yet. However, the doctor said that the x-rays show degenerative disc disease, probably osteoarthritis. He won't say for sure until he gets the bloodwork back so he can look at the whole picture. In the meantime, he's prescribed vicadin for me to deal with the pain and will probably schedule an MRI sometime in the near future.

I'm trying to keep a positive outlook, but this growing list of auto-immune diseases is disheartening. I've literally become my own worst enemy.

Deb

Hang in there!

we are all here supporting you while you wait and gather info!

sounds like things are making progress...always a step in the right direction!

:( :jawdrop: :D

Well, the vicadin didn't work out real well. I took one, I had a full-body hot flash, got dizzy and almost passed out, and the bottom dropped out of my blood pressure as fast as a cheap dress hitting the floor on prom night. I called the doc back today and he said that it's just too strong a dose and to cut the pills in half or fourths. I think I'll stick with aspirin and aspercreme. I can deal with pain better than vertigo and feeling like I've been stuck in a microwave.

But, I found out a few interesting things today. The labs are back on my thyroid and while the levels are creeping back, they're still in normal ranges so far. That will bear watching. My liver panel looked good too which is a huge relief. But here's the really weird thing. I have no vitamin D in my system. None. Zilch. Nada. He said it's not a deficiency, it's a total absence. If the scale went in reverse, that's where I'd be. And I take 400 IU a day in my multi-vitamin suppliment as well as drinking milk every day!! I dunno where it's going, but they can't find it in my body anywhere. He's actually *prescribing* a vitamin D suppliment for me............a 50,000 IU pill once a week. I can't repeat what the pharmacist said when she saw the dosage but she said she'd never seen that much all at once before.

At first I was really kinda incredulous that this could be the problem and not my thyroid. Then I did a little research and found out that there's a definite link between vitamin D deficiencies and autoimmune diseases, including thyroid issues and rheumatoid arthritis. The pharmacist also said that she knew of recent research that's showing more and more autoimmune issues that are linked to low vitamin D. The vitamin D may actually start giving some relief to the pain and could also be part of the cause of my fatigue/depression/brain fog. Sooooooooo.....this doctor may actually be on the right track to finding a bottom line to all these issues.

The lab still hasn't gotten the results back on the rheumatoid arthritis so right now we're still at the degenerative dics/osteoarthritis diagnosis from the x-ray and won't know if RA is involved till those results come back. The doc said we'd schedule an MRI as soon as he gets those results back.

Vitamin D. Huh. Whudda thunk it.

Deb

I was reading the "Pink sheet" ( http://www.thepinksheet.com/fdcreports/pink/showHome.do though this is not the full one I read ) a few weeks back and it was talking about the new studies on Vitamin D. This is very interesting Deb! Get that D back up!! I am right behind you cheering you on.