Shopping for supplies

Lindy-Lou

Hello all!

I am finally getting it together and starting the Willow. That is, I opened the box (got over my fear!), looked at everything, and marked the pieces with the sheet numbers! My first construction project is going to take some time, since I can only work on weekends--too bad I have to go to a job every day!

We went shopping for supplies today so that we can move on. Unfortunately, the folks at JoAnn were not at all helpful. There is no dollhouse section in the store. So we went to a hardware store and bought sandpaper and a few other things.

I think I'm just going to shop online. Is miniatures.com a good place to go?

Thanks!

Linda

HBS/ www.miniaures.com is a good source if you don't plan to make anything. Do read posts, we discuss a lot of sources of mini supplies and materials.

Lowe's is a great place for mini hardware, tools, stripwood, dowels, paints & stains & sealers, sample paint chips, Formica, blinds, empty carpet rolls, old wallpaper sample books, etc. Michael's/ Hobby Lobby, etc carry mini basswood lumber and some millwork moldings, etc; so do hobby shops, and they also carry metal tubing & polystyrene parts. Some model train supplies work in mini, look long & hard at N-scale tunnel entrances for chimneybreasts.

Jewelry findings and beads can make wonderful accessories, lamps, etc; thrift stores & flea markets are good sources. If your outlet malls have bookstores they're a good place to look for "remaindered" books about making dosshouses & miniatures; I've found nearly half of my nearly 80-volume library of mini books (how-tos, mostly) in Book Sale.

Thrift stores are wonderful sources for silk ad cotton and other natural-fiber fabrics best of making 1:12 scale fabric features. I've even found half my embroidery floss stash (great for scale knitting & crochet "yarn" projects) in thrift stores.

Last but not least, Jo-Ann's is an excellent source for the quilting fat quarters in small enough prints for miniature applications.

That was alot of good information, Holly!! Thank you, I'm glad I caught this post. Since I have joined and looked at posts, I have picked up on alot of good ideas for handmade items!! Handmade items can be very unique and special (one of a kind). I still shop around a little and have found some sites that I think have comparable pricing and you can catch some good sales as well. :D

miniatures.com

manorhouseminis.com

eBay

dollhousesandmore.com

dollhouseheaven.com

dollhousecollectables.com

mountainminiatures.com

Harbor freight is also a good source.

Supplies can come from the most unexpected places. I went to a thrift shop (ST Vincent DePAul's) on thursday and got a one foot square or plastic canvas (to make the plate drier and grill on the 1930's stove). I also got three spools of fine gage wire gold, silver and copper, two small pieces of mini print fabric, a card of large snaps (for stove elements), and a bottle of stuff that is supposed to make plastic look like ceramic and about one pound of small felt blocks all for $1.80.

I think it will be some time before I can create a gallery. First, I need to buy a digital camera and learn how to use it! Kathi, your gallery is just wonderful!

I am so impressed with the creativity here! I guess it is kind of like a treasure hunt---finding various things and turning them into treasures. Sort of like spinning straw into gold, as in the old fairy tale.

Aggie, I love your list of items you are using for the stove---especially the snaps for the elements!

I got the Jane Harrop book Thirties and Forties Miniatures in 1:12 Scale used (for cheap!) on Amazon last week. The instructions (and templates) for this stove are in it.

I use snaps and hook and eyes for all sorts of things. At some point I am thinking snaps will be obsolete for sewing but thrift shops and estate sales usually have old sewing notions. I am going to try to make stone out of the felt, an idea I got here from Alyce.

I think it will be some time before I can create a gallery. First, I need to buy a digital camera and learn how to use it! Kathi, your gallery is just wonderful!

I am so impressed with the creativity here! I guess it is kind of like a treasure hunt---finding various things and turning them into treasures. Sort of like spinning straw into gold, as in the old fairy tale.

Aggie, I love your list of items you are using for the stove---especially the snaps for the elements!

I'm technologically impaired and do not use a digital camera; I use disposable point & shoots (until I can get my Minolta 35mm SLR cleaned & a macro lens for it) with regular film; when I get the film processed I have the lab burn me a photo CD to load my pictures into "My Pictures", where I resize them prior to uploading them here.

Agnes, I was wondering what to use for grills & racks on the 1:24 scale stove I need to make; plastic needlepoint canvas sounds perfect! I think I'm going to use lock-washers for the burner elements, if I can find them small enough at the hardware store. (I used an empty razor cartridge tray for the stove I made for the Westville).

Linda, I nearly forgot one of my favorite mini stores with a website! Cheick out Earth&Tree, http://www.earthandtree.com .

You'll also need an Xacto knife, and I have a little mini saw that I use all the time for cutting trim, siding, etc. I don't know what I'd do without it. Oh yeah, and my husband found some small clamps that are really useful. You can get good quality paint from the oops section at Home Depot.

There are a number of postings with tool & supply lists you can look up with the "Search" features. There's a basic list in the instructions, although I would caution you not to run out to buy a glue gun & glue sticks; get a nice big bottle of carpenter's wood glue instead for your build, and LOTS of masking tape. It will aid your build immeasurably to build the shell without glue and hold it together with the masking tape in what you will see referred to as a "dry fit". This step allows you to trim any tabs or slots for a better fit, and to reassure you that you have understood the instructions correctly.

I have found it quite helpful to take the piece of sandpaper included in most kits and cut it to fit the sanding block DH made me, I have a lot better sanding control (& sccess) using a block. It's just a rectangular scrap of 1X3 with a piece of 1" square stock cut the same length and glued & nailed down the middle of one side for a handle. When the sandpaper gets old & nasty I pop the staples off of it, use it for a pattern to cut a new piece of sandpaper and staple that on. I have a heavy-duty Stanley stapler, I also use it to reinorce joins and help hold edges together whilst the glue dries when the masking tape needs help.

I'm so glad I posted the shopping question. The dollhouse world is enthralling---all the info here and the websites---I'm having trouble tearing myself away from it and getting to bed on time so that I can get up at 5 am and go to work! :lol: We worked on our Willow on Sunday, but will have to let her sit until the weekend. Hope she doesn't mind being in such an unfinished state!

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

I find a lot of things at walmart that have came in handy and they are bit cheaper than other places

popsicle sticks

bags of assorted buttons which can be turned into all kinds of wonderful things

fabric ends

also dollar stores have a rotating supply of things.

I too shop the thrift stores and have found lace, beads, buttons, miniature fake flowers. I found a childs dress with rows and rows of lace that was made out of red velvet that I bought for 2.00 the cloth will be used for furniture and the lace will have endless uses.

also paint as you go, as you have probably seen from other posts here, it is a lot easier to paint those rooms/ceilings before the kit is completely done.

I am building the San Franciscan as my first build ( I built a dollhouse 20 years ago but I dont count that one)

There are some everyday items I always use:

clothespins (good clamps)

scrap paper (we save printer 'goofs'). I use it to bend into areas to get the shape I need to cut for siding/wallpaper/shingles

good glues, several kinds (but don't say 'hotglue' to this crowd...experience has been a sad teacher to some :wave: )

I shop in the craft store scrapbooking areas for wallpaper

I do have a big stash of acrylic paints in lots of colors that I pick up on sale

good craft paint brushes...I am picky and have a hard time finding them :)

There are some everyday items I always use:

clothespins (good clamps)

scrap paper (we save printer 'goofs'). I use it to bend into areas to get the shape I need to cut for siding/wallpaper/shingles

good glues, several kinds (but don't say 'hotglue' to this crowd...experience has been a sad teacher to some :wave: )

I shop in the craft store scrapbooking areas for wallpaper

I do have a big stash of acrylic paints in lots of colors that I pick up on sale

good craft paint brushes...I am picky and have a hard time finding them :)

I have been sick all week---sneezing, etc.---so I have been doing more thinking about the house than working on it. Because this is my first house, I think I should keep it simple. Stain the floors, wallpaper the walls. Maybe just paint the outside and have it be a plain salt box colonial. I am a knitter, so I can knit up some tiny rugs, etc. DH and I want to put up a dry fit today. Maybe the house will speak to me about what furnishing she would like! Again, thank you all so much for your ideas---I have been printing everything out and putting them in a now huge folder!

Linda

Well, DH and I did a sort of dry fit with masking tape. I say sort of, because it appears we have some warped pieces of wood---the third floor. I suppose it will work out when we glue? Anyway, we need to take it all apart and paint, stain, or wallpaper, yes? By the way, I'm thinking of banishing DH from the work room. He gets so angry and frustrated---no patience at all!

Linda