Drum roll please.....

Shakyshaky

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are all these houses the offspring of the Townhouse and the Tennyson

I think it's the same principle of spontaneous generation that causes otherwise asexual little wooden Fisher-Price play people to reproduce in the dark recesses of kids' toyboxes :)

Well, it's like Calamari said, if you have just "one" dollhouse, you're OK. But once you get two, they BREED!

That's right... I did say that. And it's true! The process includes exciting rationalizations like:

1. The people who live in my dollhouse need friends, and their friends need to live somewhere.

2. I'll just look at this [ messageboard / catalog / eBay ] for ideas... oooooh, that's so cute! And for a good price, too!

3. But I haven't seen one like it before! I had to buy it.

4. Gee, it'd be fun to try this other scale...

5. This one is my dreamhouse: no way will I need to build another after this.

6. I need an easy, straightforward project as a break from building my dreamhouse.

Early in my addiction, I bought on eBay a 1:24 kit that I didn't love because it was so hard to find 1:24. As a result, when the seller found another 1:24 kit in her inventory, she sold it directly to me at a great price. THAT one was the kit I'd been looking all over for!

That kind of incident doesn't exactly encourage restrained buying.

Added: I remind myself that at least I only have ONE hobby, so the hoarding gene is moderately under control.

I swore to myself "No more Houses" but they keep trickling in.  I've had to resort to giving them away "No, really, you don't have to pay me. Please, just take the d*mn house!" :)

<cackle> Oh boy, do I relate to that! I do the same thing with my art work. Part of the planning process is deciding how I'm going to get rid of it once it's completed.

Deb

I think it's the same principle of spontaneous generation that causes otherwise asexual little wooden Fisher-Price play people to reproduce in the dark recesses of kids' toyboxes  :)

Eureka!! I've always wondered about that and now I know! :p And they look so innocent too.

Deb

Deb: Nice-and impressive 3 in 3 WOW! If you finish the Lily in only 3 months you will deserve a reward. 

The biggest reason I go so fast is that I'm a slightly obsessive personality when it comes to finishing what I start. I had to give up 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles because of malnutrition, dehydration and kidney failure. :) I do the same thing with RPG computer games. Once I start something, I only stop if I absolutely have to. I'll work on a house at least two hours a night during the week and around 16-20 hours on a weekend.

As soon as the holiday stuff is done (today is my annual fudge-fest and I'm making 30 pounds of it this year), I'll start on the Lily. I'm not sure how long it will take me because I know it's a more complicated house, but my deadline for it isn't till May when it will go live with it's owner. I'd like to have it and the four Buttercups done by then so she can take them all home at the same time.

Deb

5 houses to same household?

wow very impressive!

nutti :)

LOL, they're all going home with her, but only one will actually live at her house. The Lily is for Kathy, (my best friend of almost 30 years) I'm building the Lily to match the sea side rose quilt she just made for her bedroom. The Buttercups are for her four granddaughters. I don't have grandchildren, so she shares hers with me. :p There are two four year olds, an 11 year old and a 12 year old. We know they'll have fits over Gramma's little house so they'll each get their own littl-er house. I'll build the houses and Kathy will furnish them.

I think it's going to be fun to build the same house for four different personalities and make each one individual. My goal is to create something they can enjoy as children, but will still grow with them and be something they can take into their adult life too.

Deb

Added: I remind myself that at least I only have ONE hobby, so the hoarding gene is moderately under control.

This is why I stopped collecting dolls Holly. I did VERY good last year. I only bought 4 and I got rid of about 10.

:)

Gotta make room for more houses!

:p

I thought that was why Chris was building you a new house.
I think he is doing that because he wants to "pretend" that his wife is not addicted to dollhouses :p . As my Grandmother used to say "Out of sight, out of mind". So if you can't see it, it does not exist :)

The biggest reason I go so fast is that I'm a slightly obsessive personality when it comes to finishing what I start. I had to give up 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles because of malnutrition, dehydration and kidney failure.

LOL! :)

I had to give up being a meta-editor at Open Directory Project (think combined copy editor, web researcher, and board moderator, only in a war zone) because I'd sit down at the computer to do one simple task, and the next thing I'd know, it'd be eight hours later and I'd be involved in some massive project that involved rethinking the organization of 700 sites. The project had endless capability to eat my life.

Unfortunately, I'm not obsessive about hands-on craft projects... I tend to wander off while glue is drying. So houses kind of drag on. The Arthur went fast because I was in a hotel in North Carolina and had little else to do.

...okay, now I know I'm an addict! I was absolutely exhausted with the Pink House, glad to call it done, have to leave for the East Coast on Tuesday morning... and I keep looking at projects and thinking, "I could just start a little project! Maybe I'll finish the 1:48 shops."

Not if I want to come home to a clean house after Xmas, I can't. Bah, humbug!

• 2 months later...

Wow, some nice houses listed you guys! and Linda you and Tracy have quite the lists! Here is my list so far :D

Built:

1) Federal manor and 2 extensions - RGT

2) Conservatory - RGT's

Under construction:

1) The heritage - Dura-craft

2) Grosvenor Hall - Dolls house emporium

Kits in boxes:

1) Queen Anne II - RGT's

2) Foxhall manor and extensions - RGT's

3) Front opening store - RGT's

4) Street of shops - can't think of the name at the moment

5) Garage kit - Timberbrook

6) Country church - RGT's

7) Victorian mansion - Dura-Craft

8) Glencroft - Greenleaf

9) Brimbles store - Greenleaf

10) Buttercup - Corona

11) Orchid - corona

12) Queen Anne - Duracraft

13) Greenhouse and potting shed - Lawbre

14) Nob Hill - Skilcraft

15) Ol' Merchantile - American Craft products

16) porches across america kit - houseworks

17) coventry cottage - Greenleaf

18) Queen Anne mansion 1/144th scale - can't remember the name of the company

19) LaFayette - Duracraft

I think that's it, but i don't want to get up and go look :angry:

and Andrew's Garfield :(

the Van Buren has its own gazebo, but it does need some caretakers cottages

When I finish the Coventry Cottage I'm going to let Annie & Reggie, the Cambridge's cook & butler, move in.

• 7 months later...

OK, now I AM jealous! Here is my rather tiny list:

1. Corona Concepts Primrose-done

1-1/2. tho I gave it away: Sweetheart Dollhouse--became a going-away gift for a co-workers' daughter

2. Greenleaf Orchid-on table now-going a little slower than I'd hoped

3. RGT General Store--in box, missing parts

4. Dura-craft Olde Towne HO set-in box

5. Dura-craft Queen Anne-en route

6. Art Ply Franklin-en route

Hmmm...need to gather more kits--maybe when there is another 40% at HL and I have more cash I will have to go after one of the Allison Jr's. :yikes:

Oh My, Here I go

1. Maine Victorian Farmhouse, I built this for my mother about 25 years ago and has become mine about 3 years ago. 90% complete. Bespaq interior

2. Syosset House, Ebay purchase, built by a lovely lady in New York, 100 complete. Bespaq Interior

3. Bakery/Sew Shop, another Ebay purchase. Alreadt built but needs a remodel.

4. Vermont Farmhouse, Real Good Toys, structure is built and awaiting finishing and decoration.

5. Deerfield, New Hampshire dollhouse, structure is built and wired for electrity. Needs finishing and decorating.

6. Magnolia, about 40% complete. This will become a seaside cottage.

7. Georgian, another built Ebay purchase awaiting overhaul and remodeling.

8. The Harvard House, Built by a great family in Massachusetts, this is a large victorian mansion awaiting a interior remodel. In progress.

9. Greenhouse, waiting for spring plants and landscaping, Built

10. Country Store, built but waitin for tenant.

11. The Laurel, still in box.

12. Brimbles Store, still in box but I can't wait to start this one.

SOOO much to do and sooooo little time. And always looking for more houses.

I am fairly new to the hobby and since we moved just after starting my first house, I kind of got disrupted and didnt work for a while so almost a year after my husband got me my first kit, I am still not done with the build, much less any furniture or anything, but I have gotten back into working on it now.,.. thanks to Miniature Madness.... it caught me. Anyway, I have only two houses... but what houses they are:

1. Beacon Hill (My hubby got it for me for Christmas. It is almost built. I am working on trim.)

2. White Orchid. I can't wait to start it! I just feel like I need to finish my BH first. I don't have unlimited space to work. :yikes:

Well, it's like Calamari said, if you have just "one" dollhouse, you're OK. But once you get two, they BREED!

SO that's it? I need to keep mine in separate rooms then... :yikes:

I'm truly impressed with Linda's and Tracy's lists.

My mini list is so very mini.

1. Glencroft (built)

2. Orchid (built, being furnished. This is my daughter's house)

3. Arthur (on it's way, for my other daughter)

4. Greenleaf Village (one house built, need to take photos)

5. Gloucester (also on it's way)

I have added

An old arrow - dropped off by a neighbor so I have no idea what it's

name is

Arrow Delux tudor- to be elf workshop

2 primroses to be abshed together

Castle- Buttercup bash

Orchid- the Greenleaf plabt shop

One Orchid in box

Bashed Travel trailer

Coventry cottage in box.

If you don't double space it's not as bad :banana:

I love reading this thread.. Makes me feel better :banana:

I don't have as many houses but I have the accessories.

I have done so much swapping over the years and they are stored in plastic containers.

I do have these to built though:

Alpine/Farmhouse not built

2 Travel Trailers not built

1 Log cabin kit but not sure the name not built

Working on the Birdhouse shop

Coventry cottage on its way

Have a Tiki bar to do

several roombox's

Water can that is cut and ready

I have numerous hatbox's that I have bought to do a scene in

Gave away the Ashley and HO scale think it was a town

another house that was made from scratch and one that I found at a thirft store, they were in the way and they didn't jump out at me.

So I gave them to someone who would love them more than I did.

My list is small as well:

Glencroft, just completed an hour ago (pics coming soon!)

The Laurel, bashed with the Haunted House, just electrified

The Garfield, which I just gathered the courage to touch glue to yesterday :banana:

The Pierce, under the bed so I won't be tempted to start it yet

Another Haunted House, which will be a sewing shop some time in the future

I just started building and collecting in June, so I guess I've got one for each month so far! I am dying for a Canterbury - hopefully I be able to catch one on ebay for November!