just starting on my Lily

Kathyk

Hi all

Just joined after opening up my Lily kit this past weekend. My past dollhouse experience is building a giant Victorian when I was in high school about 25 years ago, which my nieces are now redecorating. I'm building the Lily for my daughter (and of course me too). The blogs and questions were very helpful. I have a few questions, sorry if they're repeats but I'm not sure if I explored all the corners of the web site yet.

1) Does the Lily kit contain both siding and hardwood floors? If so, is there enough flooring for all three floors?

2) Can you apply hardwood flooring to the whole base at once, or do you need to leave gaps for the walls and partitions?

3) I think I saw one recommendation to apply the siding before the window trim-has anyone had good luck with this?

Thanks

Kathyk

Hi and :yes:, Kathy!! I haven't built the Lily so I can't answer all of your questions. I do not believe (but am not sure) that the Lily comes with siding. I do not know of any kit that comes with flooring. I would leave spaces for the walls since the walls are fitted to no flooring. I would think you would have to shorten the walls otherwise. There are many ideas for flooring floating around here, so you can check things out.

I have only sided half a house and did paper clay stones on the other half. I put the trim on afterwards and thought it was better.

Hope that helps. Enjoy!!

:thumb:

Hello and Welcome Kathy! Lots of people here have built or are building the Lily! I have not so I can offer no advice! I would love to have one though! Some day!

Again, hello and welcome!

Wolfie

Hi all

Just joined after opening up my Lily kit this past weekend. My past dollhouse experience is building a giant Victorian when I was in high school about 25 years ago, which my nieces are now redecorating. I'm building the Lily for my daughter (and of course me too). The blogs and questions were very helpful. I have a few questions, sorry if they're repeats but I'm not sure if I explored all the corners of the web site yet.

1) Does the Lily kit contain both siding and hardwood floors? If so, is there enough flooring for all three floors?

2) Can you apply hardwood flooring to the whole base at once, or do you need to leave gaps for the walls and partitions?

3) I think I saw one recommendation to apply the siding before the window trim-has anyone had good luck with this?

Thanks

Kathyk

Hi Kathy, the Lily kit that I made included siding and shingles. The floors are up to you. Some folks score lines into the floor bases themselves and finish to simulate planks, with very nice effect. I laid down stained craft sticks onto templates and glued 'em down to the floors:

The Lily was my first house, and I learned alot about how doing the floors this way raises the floor level about 1/8" and how that affects the build, not to mention that dry fits of the floor/wall/partition are essential to ensure that the flooring gaps are the right size and there are no interferences. I glued down all the floor pieces to the bases (flattening overnight with heavy books, and finishing with a sealer spray) before putting the base into the house assembly.

I added siding after window trim, which is tough to do and I did not do a very good job of it on the Lily. Many folks here have added window trim after siding with excellent effect-- do a search on "siding" on this forum to find a good discussion of the pros and cons. I will crack open the Beacon Hill box soon and will have to make a decision on this very question...

Hi and welcome. I'm new also, so we can learn and grow together. I sure do appreciate all of the help these great folks offer. I'm just hoping my Laurel will turn out looking like my idea of what it's supposed to since it's a gift for my daughter. Some of the houses I've looked at are so great and inventive that it really inspires me. Good luck! Pam

Hi and :birthday: Kathy!

I'm just finishing up my Lily myself! This was my 1st dollhouse so I had lot's of questions too.

What I did with my floors was I stained and varnished them without scoring them, and the look nice! I was planning on putting oriental carpets all thoughout, and I liked the "hardwood/rug" look. The only room I put any other type of flooring in was the bathroom, and I used "tile" (the wallpaper type) but, I put it in after the house was assembled and I cut and measured the tile before it was assembled.

If you want to use the siding, absolutely put it on before the porch railings, and the ginger bread trim.

post-2364-1195226041_thumb.jpg

Hi There & Welcome to the neighborhood. I would suggest putting the hardwood floor down after your walls are up because as mentioned, it will throw off the building process if your do this before you add your walls. The kits does not come with flooring but I do use the siding strips for the floors in my houses sometimes. I personally like to add the siding to the walls before I add the windows because then it seems to give the windows the right amount of depth away from the house. But it all depends on what looks right to you :p

• 3 weeks later...
There are lots of ways to do hardwood floors and other treatments.

Go ahead and make paper templates/ patterns of your floors during the dry-fit or after assembly, if you don't want to score and stain your floorboards (my preferred method).

I did it with the first house I ever sided, the Westville, and was totally unhappy with the results. Now I butt the siding to the window & door trim (I trace around the trim so I still apply it after the siding, but it doesn't cover the siding).

Oops, welcome to the forum, Kathy!