Best wood for furniture

Annagr

What do you use for dollhouse furniture? I have started with basswood but find that is can be a but furry if you know what I mean. It does not seem to get a fine finish even though I do sand and paint several times. So, just wondering what others use. Or maybe there is a trick to the basswood I don't know about?

2 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

I like Baltic birch, https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Painting-Surfaces/Wood/8-x-10-Baltic-Birch-Project-Wood-3-Pack/p/80659117

It is available in hobby and craft stores. It is hard to cut with craft knives.

Baltic birch is a plywood. It’s fabulous for structures but the edges from the multiple layers don’t really work for furniture, in my opinion.  I guess you could use a filler. I think she needs a solid wood not plywood. 

• Like 1

I use crumpled brown paper bag for that final sanding of basswood.  I have also used it on white pine and red oak items I've turned on the lathe; finishing with a fold of brown paper on a spinning table or chair leg leaves the most incredible silky smoothness.

• Like 2

I use Walnut. Lovely grain and stays smooth. I've just done some searching on USA model shops and suppliers and Walnut seems hard to get for some reason. In the UK most model boat suppliers stock it.

I get mine from 

https://modelshop.co.uk/

They will ship worldwide and whilst it may cost that bit more you'll reap the benefits.........it's a wonderful material. (Comes in 'strip' 'square section' and 'sheet'

1 hour ago, MikeUK said:

https://modelshop.co.uk/

Thanks for this link, Mike. I just got happily lost exploring their website. What a remarkable shop! The customers gallery is quite an inspiration.

I use a variety of wood on my projects.   I keep mini lumber rack of material. One thing that i do is a little unusual. I set up a jig on my band saw and create my own mini saw mill. When i find something i may want to use i can create boards and dimensional limber.

I always keep my eye open for material

10 hours ago, Annagr said:

What do you use for dollhouse furniture? I have started with basswood but find that is can be a but furry if you know what I mean. It does not seem to get a fine finish even though I do sand and paint several times. So, just wondering what others use. Or maybe there is a trick to the basswood I don't know about?

Anna, don't give up on Basswood just yet, I bought a 'hobby pack' of basswood from my local Ace and the quality was horrible (it was cheap and on sale) but I got some basswood sheets from MicroMark and they are beautifully smooth and not that expensive. They come in various thicknesses.

1 hour ago, Bob Hood said:

I use a variety of wood on my projects.   I keep mini lumber rack of material. One thing that i do is a little unusual. I set up a jig on my band saw and create my own mini saw mill. When i find something i may want to use i can create boards and dimensional limber.

I always keep my eye open for material

I love keeping my eye out for 'materials' too Bob. It thrills me to be able to use stuff which would otherwise be thrown away. Haven't got a lumber yard just yet but next big spend will be a mini table saw :)

• Like 1

Hi Janet............If you look at my album I have used almost found material.  Old Paneling fit and lined for flooring. Pine from yard sale shelves. Construction site plywood and T1-11 for mane construction. Actual reclaimed window glass for window panes in library and dinning room. Stones picked up from gravel pit near my home. Yard sale cedar and redwood material run through on my mini saw mill. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

Thanks for this link, Mike. I just got happily lost exploring their website. What a remarkable shop! The customers gallery is quite an inspiration.

Gaaaaa! Me too Kathie, did you see the landscaping page. Next time I'm in Scotland I'm making an order!

2 minutes ago, Bob Hood said:

Hi Janet............If you look at my album I have used almost found material.  Old Paneling fit and lined for flooring. Pine from yard sale shelves. Construction site plywood and T1-11 for mane construction. Actual reclaimed window glass for window panes in library and dinning room. Stones picked up from gravel pit near my home. Yard sale cedar and redwood material run through on my mini saw mill. 

Great recycling Bob! Lovely work :) Do you use just a regular glass cutting tool for the glass? Is there a lot of spoilage?

Hi Janet.............I do..........Just a trusty old fashioned glass cutter.  Have to use some WD40 on it and a nice Rod to lay the glass over for the snap.  Yes there is some waste.

20 minutes ago, Bob Hood said:

HI Janet.............Do this and you will be an expert

https://youtu.be/3JhCa3-Bc_o

Everything In The World Is Outhere

For my Bar, I need to cut some mirrors and shorten some glass slides used for microscopes to be used as shelving. I have a broken mirror phobia and was just about to call a club member who is a professional stained glass artisan and ask her to cut them for me.  I’ll watch the video and see if this is something I want to tackle on my own. Thanks.

5 hours ago, WestPaces said:

Gaaaaa! Me too Kathie, did you see the landscaping page. Next time I'm in Scotland I'm making an order!

Yes! The bespoke trees blew me away!