Jimmy's Water Mill House

nuttiwebgal

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, we took the class. I don't have pictures because I kept forgetting to bring my camera, but I will take some pix of ours soon. Ooops! Sorry, I mean Jimmy's house. On the third day of the class Jimmy was talking to one of the other people in the class (Nell) and said his house. Nell says "wait a minute Jimmy, did I hear you right? That's 'your' house?" I about died laughing! BUSTED! It's a very neat house and well worth the money, although I think Jimmy got much more out of it than I did. I am a painter and wallpaperer at heart and it's kinda difficult to wallpaper stone, although I learned some great techniques. I think Jimmy's pretty well hooked though, and he did manage to attend all 5 days.

I think Jimmy's pretty well hooked though, and he did manage to attend all 5 days.

very good! so he enjoyed the class as well and now he has new hobby?

papaerclay! woot woot!! go Jimmy!

rofl.

I really am excited for both of you!

pictures soooon plzzz. Im glad yall had such an experience.

now do yall have any plans for more paperclay projects!

nutti :o

I CaN't WaIt To SeE ThE PiCtUrEs. I tOlD HeR I aM GoInG CrAzY!

:o

Jimmie took over huh? That is why I could not "share" this hobby with my husband. He would have to have his own house, and I would have to have mine.

Our taste are too different. He likes Modern and I like Tradition and what ever looks right. :D

Where is my wet noodle for Jimmie. Did he remeber this class was suppose to be his gift to you LOL.

very good! so he enjoyed the class as well and now he has new hobby?

papaerclay! woot woot!! go Jimmy!

rofl.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jimmy loved the class! All of our friends keep telling me how much he is talking about it, LOL! I had a lot of fun too, but I didn't fall in love with paperclay the way that Jimmy did. However, I did have a lot of fun making stones and bricks and such. Isn't that just the way with Jimmy and me? He's the builder, so he's always looking at the big pictures, which is why he loved the watermill so much. I'm the decorator and love the small details, which is why I got so into making the stones and bricks--at least I did until I realized I had to paint all those bricks, LOL! I will take pix when I get back home tomorrow and post them somewhere.

now do yall have any plans for more paperclay projects!

nutti :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't have any more paperclay projects in mind, but I believe that Jimmy does, LOL! Of course, I wouldn't mind doing that Venice Canal that Rik Pierce has.

I CaN't WaIt To SeE ThE PiCtUrEs. I tOlD HeR I aM GoInG CrAzY!

:o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ARGH!!! It drives me crazy when people write like that! Caps in the middle of words! Hurts my eyes!

Jimmie took over huh? That is why I could not "share" this hobby with my husband. He would have to have his own house, and I would have to have mine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Naw, he didn't take over. He just claimed the house as his, that's all, LOL! Actually, we do quite well sharing the hobby together and just like everything else that we do, we seemed to have fallen right into step together on what he does and what I do, and we work quite well together.

Our taste are too different. He likes Modern and I like Tradition and what ever looks right. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! Jimmy and I actually like a lot of the same things, so that works good too!

Where is my wet noodle for Jimmie. Did he remeber this class was suppose to be his gift to you LOL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know Tracy, I was kinda ticked about that, and then I got to thinking about it. The class was supposed to be my Christmas present, so since Jimmy has claimed my Christmas present as his, that means he has to get me something else!

Finally got a few moments to take some pictures of where we are on the Mill House, and the link is here: http://community.webshots.com/album/508714983btAnHL

If that doesn't work, then just click the link under my name to my main webshots page and choose the album entitled "Watermill".

Looking good. What is the downstairs floor made of? I really like it. Is it made to put real water in or the make believe water? What type of items do you put in a watermill? A little generator?

Peggi

Looking good.  What is the downstairs floor made of?  I really like it.  Is it made to put real water in or the  make believe water?  What type of items do you put in a watermill?  A little generator?

Peggi

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Peggi! The downstairs floor is just a real tile floor like what you would buy at home depot or lowes, and then you sort of run your knife across it and cut out little strips to make it look like a stone floor. It's not made for real water, just fake but we haven't gotten that far yet. I am still trying to figure out where to get my light fixtures from ...

Linda, the watermill is lovely. You two are doing a wondeful job. I can't wait to see it finished. How are you going to furnish it? As always you're going to have another show piece when its done.

terri

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Terri! I need to do some research for watermills of that period in time to furnish it, so I don't know yet.

Linda,  It looks great!  You & Jimmy did a good job.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Holly! I had hoped that Jimmy would get more done on it while I was gone this weekend, but he's been busy catching up on work ...

watermills of that period in time to furnish it,

Linda, If your library has or can get you a copy of Making Character Dolls' Houses in 1/12 Scale by Brian Nickolls, the last project in it is a water mill.

In addition to the mill building & cottage (which he furnishes with plain country-style furniture that would work from early to mid 1800s on) he included plans & directions for making a chain-driven undershot water wheel (motor-driven), the Hurst Frame and the other mill machinery for a gristmill.

WOW! Linda, that is awesome!!! Not really an accurate word, but it's the best I can do. :) You (and Jimmy) are doing a wonderful job. I am looking forward to seeing the pics when it's complete.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go look at some of your other projects.

Love ya,

Doe

Thanks for the info on the book Holly. This is supposed to be a 1200s-1500s mill, so will that book still work?

Thanks for the compliments Doe! Jimmy is absolutely in love with that watermill house!

Oh Linda -

That is SO Awesome! What can I say except Wow!! Your watermill is Gorgeous!!!

You mentioned how the floors are made - In the December issue of Dollhouse Miniatures Magazine Rik had an article on those floors. Man they look great! So much better than the way I did it for my Laffeyette! In fact I ended up pulling the old floor out and putting down paperclay and scrapbook paper because I had cut a tile into pieces and reassembled it in the house.. this full tile method or Riks is so much better looking.

What an awesome opportunity to take a class like that!

-David

Thanks Tracy, Melanie, David and Melissa!

Melanie, keep working on your hubby. The fun thing about this hobby is that there is usually a place for everyone in it.

David, yep, I saw that article. It's pretty neat the way that floor is done!