i'm inspired to work on my beacon hill today!!!

ilovecats

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Plans for today:

Cut and stain all crown molding and baseboards!

I am in the mood for it today!

Sounds like a plan to me!!! I were in the mood earlier to get to the Aster and get some finishing touches done, but after having been bent over the kitchen sink for almost the full day with some in between breaks "defrosting" the fingers and straighten the back I just don't have the energy of actually doing something so I am looking forward to some eye candy later on LOL that might get me going again....

Hugs

I give up for today..it's already almost 1 pm and i haven't accomplished much. I'm feeling the blues about going back to work tomorrow. Probably just throw in a movie and relax. i'm in the mood for mini-ing but can't focus on anything to do.

I couldn't find the baseboard pieces that i purchased a few months ago...finally found it after searching over and over again. then i can't find the wood that i bought to make door surrounds...i bought that stuff about 6 months ago. I thought it was in the basement in an HBS box...turns out what i thought was downstairs goes to another house. So after digging and moving boxes, it was a waste of time in the end. So i haven't a clue where i put the wood. I'll have to buy more. That may have to wait a couple of paychecks from now.

So i start cutting the baseboards and crown molding, it's really all going to have to wait until i get the door frames installed and the rear edge trim installed, i just am not quite sure what length to cut things to and i don't want gaps or to have to restain ends after cutting again, so, first things will have to be first. Kind of a disappointment that the exterior trim that i bought isn't long enough but the design doesn't really match anyway...so i'll have to buy more, but in longer lengths. I don't want to cut and piece lengths together either, that would look shoddy.

I took about 20 minutes sorting thru interior windows and trim trying to decide which rooms i will have stained window trim in and which will be painted. I really really wanted the interior window pieces to be stained, but since the top and bottom parts of the window were painted, i can't stain the interior windows and put that together, it would look odd. So in the living room and hallways, the interior window/door frames will be stained wood. I'd really like a uniform look thruout, but in this particular house it ain't gonna happen. I'll just chalk it up to being an older house, where you may see mismatched stuff. kinda like my floors that are uneven since i had to trim down some wall heights....just settling in an old house ya know? :flowers: My next Beacon Hill (yep, i'm gonna build another one in the future) will be better than this one! I'll know what i'll improve next time!

So I thought about putting the shingles on my Glencroft, i'm not in the mood today. Guess it's just better to watch a movie. :(

after having been bent over the kitchen sink for almost the full day with some in between breaks "defrosting" the fingers and straighten the back
Alright, Anna, what's up?
I'd really like a uniform look thruout, but in this particular house it ain't gonna happen.
Or, you could paint all the interior trim. I hate when I can't find something I know I have, and I only have one room to search!

• 1 month later...

Well I FINALLY received my interior door trim...wrong size, but it will do. I'm going to get all of the door trim cut and stained today. I hope to install it friday, then i want work on my baseboards and crown molding this weekend. After all trim is installed and the windows are completed on the inside...i'll call this house done for now. I won't be able to install my exterior railing and such until i have a better place to display this house. My cats LOVE sleeping on top of the roof so i know they would just chew the trimwork off. So after the interior is done, i'll put the house on top of the bedroom dresser. This will be the perfect display area for now, plus free up some much needed work space on my kitchen table :)

Had to take a break...the old reflux was getting tome! Forgot to take my meds today.

Wow, there sure is alot to get done! Luckily the rest of the rooms are straight forward to cut. I fully intend to get this done tonight and stain tomorrow!!!

I may start paperclaying my Storybook tomorrow!!!!

Well back to the cutting room :)

Well i did it, i cut all of the baseboard and crown molding! I just need to stain it all...just having a bite of lunch at the moment.

After i get everything installed (prolly next week), i just need to fine tune the exterior and interior windows. I didn't get all my trim around the exterior windows and the interior windows have some gaps from my poor installation. Nothing a little bit more trimwork won't cover tho. The house is well on the way to being finished on the inside! After i get the trimwork installed, i will just need to polyurethane all the wood floors and such.

Oh, the room next to the balcony...i had cut an extra window in the wall but wasn't happy with the way the foamcore board window trimwork turned out, so today i cut out the wall and it will now sport a french door. I just need to get creative and fill in the gap above the door. on the inside, i'll throw in a scrap piece of wood, then spackle to fill any gaps. I need to re-paper that wall anyway, i accidently cut the wallpaper with the craft knife when i originally cut the window opening...so that was driving me crazy anyway, now i'll have to repair the wallpaper for sure! The door sure looks nice in its place! Still not sure if that room will be a bathroom or a small sitting room...perhaps even a sewing room? we'll see. Oh, on the outside, there is no way to make the hole look nice by adding in more siding. I decided that i will devise some sort of little awning or small porch roof above the door. That will definately hide the gap.

After i get the interior completed, i will just move the house up to my bedroom and put it on the dresser. No point in putting railings and trimwork on it at this point, the cats will either break it or chew on it. They love sleeping on top of the roof. So until i can find a cat proof room to store it, it will remain uncompleted on the outside. That's okay, i've been undecided on just how ornate i'm gonna go with the outside anyway. We have one cat proof room in this house (aside from the basement) but i need to move all of our villaging (christmas and haunted lemax) down to the basement to make room. Then i'll be able to shift the beacon hill into that room, move the Foxhall down onto the kitchen table and then take my Glencroft and Chantilly up into the cat proof room to display. I may also move the tennyson back into the bedroom if the cats can keep their furry little mitts off of it.

Sorry about talking so much...anyway, that is where i stand with the Beacon Hill! I just love this house and i look forward to building another one in the future!

• 2 weeks later...

I cut the rest of my interior trim today! i just need to go stain it...

Things to do inside before the inside of the house is done:

Upstairs windows....apply trim at bottom of windows...design an interior window frame for the upstairs windows (or make round top curtains)...fill in the hole in the room that i just made an exterior door in ...rewallpaper that wall then glue on molding/baseboard on that wall. install fireplace upstairs on the third floor. Polyurethane all the wood. ....oh and install the rest of the trim i just cut. Wow the interior is THAT close to being done!!!! Finally!!!!!!!

I did something silly. I was looking at the back of the tower and a thought hit me that i've seen someone cut an opening in the back of the tower and made it into a tiny room....so...i cut the tower open ....and realized there is another wall to cut thru. i hope i don't mess up the rest of the tower is i cut down that wall. The room will be extremely small...not sure why i did that. i'm tempted to just glue glue glue the heck out of the piece that i just cut out...i can hide it by putting shingles over the top ...lol...can't be happy with things the way they are, i'm always tampering....

Ick, i don't envy you the shoveling!

I got all the trim installed. I usually wait a few days after i stain things to glue them down...but i was in that mode...so if found a couple of more pieces of trim that i will need to cut and stain, then next weekend i'll polyurethane everything. I need to get another sheet of wallpaper....i KNOW i have at least one sheet of the type i need, but off course i can't find it. hope hobby lobby has some in stock. i'll give my wallpaper cabinet another look over tomorrow just in case. So after that wall is repapered i can glue on the rest of the trim in that room and the outside edge molding strip. Aside from the trim and the last room repair and the polyurethane, the inside is pretty well complete! I'll take photos tomorrow when there is more light. then sometime this week after i polyurethane i'll take more photos...i love the way polyurethane changes the look of the stained wood...gives it a deeper color.

For the outside of the house:

I need to stain shingles, then shingle the roof, apply trim, finish off the front porch, install the front doors (i messed up one of my door inserts so i need to make new ones), finish up the trim around the windows, finish touch up paint to the chimney then varnish it, do touchup paint around the exterior here and there...and last but not least install all railing and trimwork on the house....so really still alot to be done, but it's mostly finish work...

As soon as the interior of the house is done, i'm moving it up to the bedroom dresser and until i can get a cat free room, the exterior will remain unfinished. Anyway, this will free up space for me to get to the Foxhall and start making some progress on cutting out doorways.

I decided that i want to get this house done!!! I reglued the panel i cut out :) I just didn't want to mess with it. I'd like to build this house again someday and if i do, i'll definately make that into a little room. After cutting out the outter panel, i remembered how much glue i used to fit the tower together, i just didn't want to cause more work for myself repairing things.