The House I got for FREE

CJEP

Ok, I have posted pictures of the house my manicurist gave me. I saved it from being thrown away. :flowers: It definitely needs some work. I first have to figure out how to get the wallpaper off the walls and stairs and the rugs and flooring up. They are very off scale. Here are two pictures of the front and back. More detailed pictures are in my gallery including the furniture she gave me as well. Again there is a scale issue with some of it. Any advice from people who have refurbished houses would be very appreciated. This is my first refurbish!

Carrie, I spent the day removing shingles, ceramic tile & trim with a putty knife & hammer. Tomorrow I'll crank up my Dremel sander (not the sanding drum, I have a Dremel version of the B&D "mouse"). I have removed wallpaper using white vinegar diluted with water. If the rug is attached with hot glue, hit it with a blast from your blowdryer set on "hi".

Poor Pitiful Pearl is my second rehab and the first one I've been able to take apart. Because of the way it was built I shall pretty much be making doors, windows, trims & porch from "scratch", so we can compare notes.

I am also doing a "rehab" on an old Heritage. My fingers are really sore from removing the windows! Your house looks like it will be fun to decorate. I do love the big rooms! The rooms in the Heritage are either small or very small. Fabric soften will remove wallpaper, Score it lightly and then wipe or spray the fabric softener on, Remove when it softens, it can take a while. I use a small plastic scraper to remove it but usually end up sanding with a tiny power sander. I have an old house here that has nasty felt carpet so when you get yours out let me know what you did!

Carrie, that's a great house and I can't wait to see what you do with it! It definitely needs some TLC, but you're the perfect person to rescue it.

If I remember right, Teresa used a cloth soaked in Downy fabric softner to remove old wallpaper from her Beacon Hill. She said the wallpaper peels right off and it gives an old house a clean, fresh smell.

Deb

I spent the afternoon with my Downy bottle and the house. The rugs and flooring came up when I pulled hard. I need to do something about the glue spots left behind. The wallpaper came off easily. I got some of the roof paper and foundation paper off, but not all of it. Then I cleaned the whole thing with Murphy's Oil Soap. Oh, and I took the stairs out so I could get the wallpaper down. The person who built it definitely wallpapered first since the wallpaper was stuck inbetween walls and floors. Tomorrow I will hit it up with some sand paper and see if I can the extra glue spots. Then I'll start painting the outside and planning the inside. I'm thinking it will need a new wall upstairs to give it a bathroom where the stairs are. The builder labeled the rooms under the carpet and had bath written there, so I'm going to make it a bathroom.

The builder labeled the rooms under the carpet and had bath written there,
Pretend you didn't see that and decide what rooms you want where. I've had excellent luck bashing extra walls with foamcore, beginning with a privacy wall in the Westville for the bathroom.

Pretend you didn't see that and decide what rooms you want where. I've had excellent luck bashing extra walls with foamcore, beginning with a privacy wall in the Westville for the bathroom.

Well, I was trying to figure out where to bash a bathroom into it. This was better than my original idea. I was going to make the larger of the two bedrooms into two rooms, but the bathroom would have been in the back so you would only see the bedroom through a door. I like the idea of only seeing the bathroom through a door much better. Plus it was somewhat wasted space otherwise.

I used foamcore for a wall in my quilt shop as well. In the San Fran I used wood I bought at Michaels or AC Moore. I'm not sure which I'll do for here.

If you havent tackled the glue spots yet, go to the pharmacy or walmart and pick up some nail polish remover with acetone. Dont get the kind that says non-acetone. You might be able to soften the glue enough to peel it off.

Thanks, everyone!! I worked on it quite a bit over the weekend, but then needed more supplies. The rooms are so big, I needed more scrapbook paper. I ran the errands yesterday, but am feeling lousy today, so I'm taking it easy. Hopefully I'll get back to it on Thursday or Friday. Tomorrow we are having people over, so I know it won't happen then. I'll post pictures in a few days. It is coming along. I got DH to help me cut the door bigger and put in a better scaled door and put up shutters. Now I just have to deal with the foundation and roof and the outside will be done.

What a nice house Carrie. It reminds me of one I lived in when I was a youngster. The rooms are nice and large too, with nice windows. Yes, it needs work, but it will be a beauty when you are done and one to be proud of!

Wolfie