Real Glass windows

heidiiiii

Yesterday while I was on the couch watching the room spin by I got a thought. Glass windows in the Kozbro house.

I used to make these stained glass circles back in the day (24" diameter) and it didnt cost a whole lot for the glass to be cut.

Now I know prices are more now but if I was to have pieces cut to fit the window sashing for the house it shouldnt be that much. I wouldnt get very thick glass for the pieces.

But how to install? Do I have the glass fit inside of the window? (glue or tack in) or have it fit to be glued onto the window frames like we do with the plastic?

Any ideas would help.

Hmm, couldn't you have a look around the cheap photo frames to see if there aren't any that might fit the windows??

I do think it sounds like a neat idea though and am looking forward following your work in progress!!!

Hugs

Cutting glass is not rocket science. A good glass cutter, some oil, thin cardstock for templates, single strength window glass, a reasonable amount of care and caution, and you should be good to go. If you have a "real" hardware store somewhere near, you can get a lesson as well as the supplies. You may be able to find someone who knows how and can communicate clearly at a big box homestore. Or ask for getting-started help at a stained glass shop.

One 8x10 piece of glass will glaze several tiny rectangular windows!

Install it the same as the plastic panes.

(Spoken as a former stained glass shop owner/operator.) :harhar1:

Kathie, thanks.

I couple years ago I took a stained glass class at the local high school. The teacher had a heart attack (survived) in mid-sessions and they had to refund part of our money. I got as far as learning to cut the glass and how to make templates for stained glass making.

You have jogged my memory enough to go out and get a glass cutter and do some practice runs. Since the pieces will be squared I wont have to worry about cutting curves..etc.

I have a couple of Houseworks windows that have real glass windows in them, not the usual plexiglass or plastic. These are lovely and they sparkle in the sun! I only have a couple of them as they are much older than the others. I also have a beautiful Victorian door with frosted glass window in it. It's gorgeous! I want to use it for the porch door from the kitchen in the Garfield, but it is way too wide for that narrow porch hallway! ARGH!!!!!

Wolfie

I think microscope slide cover glass comes the closest to "scale". I think I'd want to make the pane fit into the frame by building the frame up out of strips of 1/16" or thinner basswood. Acually I would prefer to use acetate to glass, I have a dread of glass cuts.

Stained glass shops have many thicknesses of glass and your choice of textures and if you choose the colours are endless. You can easily get their "scraps" for almost pennies. Also, there is a lot of bevelled glass pieces as well for mirrors etc. Would have to watch the thickness and scale but could be nice in the right setting.

Hmmmm....frosted bathroom window....and I have some pieces too. Thanks for sparking the idea. Dang so much to do and so little time.

There is a stained glass shop about 2 mins from my house. And the girls dental hygentist does stained glass. I should go and ask about any scraps.

I couldnt find a glass cutter at AC Moore. They were all out. I will try Michael`s today and maybe see if the stained glass shop sells supplies.

When I was a kid, I had a best friend whos mother had a BIG Beautiful dollhouse in her basement. She had purchased it from a store and it had real glass windows that worked. There was a stained glass window in the Kitchen!! Her mom did not have it furnished and I only got to drool at it a few times (As we were never suposed to be in the basement :) ). We would find a way to get down there though. I lost contact with my friend and often wonder what happened to her because she had her own dollhouse too and we played with it for hours when I was over visiting her and when she'd come over my house we played with mine.

Heidi, I can't wait to see what you come up with because your Kozbro house is stunning! You are doing a Excellent Job on this! I was drooling as I viewed the pictures (Blog) Last night!

I couldnt find a glass cutter at AC Moore. They were all out. I will try Michael`s today and maybe see if the stained glass shop sells supplies.

Heidi, a regular hardware store will have glass cutters, and the SG shop probably sells them as well, especially if they do classes.

Me thinks I must find out about taking classes again.

I never got to the point of learning about the metal and putting it all together. I dont know if I could pull off real opening windows though.

The MHM has a couple opening ones though.

I am going to have to really research and try and figure this one out.