What I overheard . . .

MiniMadWoman

I overheard a lady telling a gentleman that a doll house must have three things in order for it to appear realistic . . . art, books and plants . . . and plenty of them!

Makes sense to me . . . everytime I add a picture or a plant the room seems to pop that much more. Now, I just have to work on the book part! :wave:

well i've got those areas covered, and i dont even have the house to put them in yet! :wave: i just want my whole first floor to be library, kitchen and figure how to bash a 1/2 bath, 'cos i hate runnin upstairs to the bathroom!

i get art magazines from work and i've already been cuttin out tons of stuff to frame (and i dont wanna get into a debate over copywrites here) no one is gonna appreciate them but mini-me. and of course i'm a plant freak in real life so i've been collecting those too, and tryin to make that goofy palm tree for the library. thats why i swooned so when i saw Lady Janes greenhouses. i've always wanted one for real life! it's always been on my lottery win list! :thumb:

interesting! yes, that seems about right. i'd think animals are important, too.

just about everyone puts something on the walls, and has plants or animals or both. i've been in homes where books or plants are nowhere to be seen, though.

a friend of many years had her house professionally decorated; it is so anonymous and neutral toned that it looks like a very nice hotel or rental property. in most of the rooms there is no indication that anybody actually lives there.

but she has a cat. and in the family room where there's some "personality," there are her own books ... and a shadowbox full of all kinds of minis. :wave:

but she has a cat.

The pets are what I have to have in every single house before it comes to life for me, usually cats. I think there are six cats in the Pierce now (one of the momma cats had a litter of kittens two weeks ago and they're soooooooo cute playing on the table in the kitchen). There's a siamese familiar in the Witches house and even the Wizard has a cat curled up in a basket in his bedroom......and Phideau the dragon has pet bunnies. The librarian has a ginger cat that follows her everywhere she goes in the house. The Faerie doesn't have a cat because she's not much bigger than a cat herself.....but she has Spike the watch-rat on a chain in his tree stump house outside her door. Even the bachelor has a fish tank and the Samurai has a koi pond. I may not have people in the houses, but I always have pets.

Deb

it is the little details that bring a house to life.

books, plants, pictures,pets, area rugs, lil nik naks

it all brings a bit of home into a house!

:wave:

SO true, it is just a matter of trying to re-create the general life, and if I take a look around me, well I see a lot of odd bits here and there... ;) Things that are decoartive only, things that are usueful as well as just plain ol' things LOL

Hugs

I'm not real big on art on the walls in real life...our walls are usually covered by bookshelves loaded with books..

but the plants and other stuff seem real important. I've got loads of books, am working on collecting plants, and all the other little things of real life. I'm getting ready to hang curtains in Lady Garfield; I've been putting them up and taking them down for a bit of re-arranging, and already I see what a difference those make, too. And yes, anmials. In my case, cats. Lots of cats. :wave:

I AGREE WITH THAT STATEMENT TOO! Lots of pictures on the walls, book shelves stocked full of books, and every plant you can dream of making, all add to the beauty of any dollhouse. Attention to small details, is the difference between success and failure!

i love dolls, and for me no dollhouse is complete without a doll to live in it. but i like what caroline hamilton of "decorative dollhouse" has to say: "whether you choose to have dolls in your miniature settings or not is up to you, but to my mind there should always be an imaginary inhabitant whose tastes and comfort is catered for, otherwise we would just be talking about model making, and not about dolls' houses."

"whether you choose to have dolls in your miniature settings or not is up to you, but to my mind there should always be an imaginary inhabitant whose tastes and comfort is catered for, otherwise we would just be talking about model making, and not about dolls' houses."

YES!! EXACTLY my feelings!! I couldn't have said it any better or expressed the sentiment so clearly!

I love putting plants in my dollhouses.....also artworks are wonderful! I love mirrors as well. And books? Well books are my mainstay in real life, why not in my dollhouse as well?! It's like I also add more personal touches too. In all my drawers that open I put things. Some of the drawers are jam packed with things, the chests are stuffed, the desk drawers have stationery and envelopes in them, etc., etc., ad naseum! I MUST HAVE REALITY!

OK, I feel better now....I vented!

Wolfie

i get art magazines from work and i've already been cuttin out tons of stuff to frame (and i dont wanna get into a debate over copywrites here)

What would be the copyright issue? You get the magazines for your own use, so using them in your houses is of no consequence whatsoever. Now if you framed the photos and then sold them, or reproduced them it would be a different matter. For your own use, there's no prob, you could prolly even post pictures. Kinda like if you buy scale wallpaper, you're not supposed to copy it and turn around and sell it, but you don't need permission to post photos of your house with Mr. X's wallpaper in it. I think you have a great idea, some of the mini pics I've seen were terrible in quality, washed out, grainy, getting art magazines and framing the pics is a kewel way to go. I think I'm gonna steal that idea. :shifty: