Garfield Builder

debragarfield

Hello Everyone--

Haven't been here for a while..... it's mostly because I've been thinking.... I never realized there was so much thinking in building a dollhouse. Last time I was here I was talking about my husband saying I was "obsessed".... and once, when hanging the wallpaper we came close to calling it a divorce... (of course, I'm kidding, but you know how it can get when you're working side by side).

Tonight, we've hit a milestone-- my dear husband-- but more about him later. As for the house-- we've finished all wallpapering-- wow!-- what a job-- my 9-year-old daughter did a bang up job picking it all out. I was actually amazed at how she decided to do the "boy's" third story bedroom-- it has three little trains running across the border! We've got most the trim up-- it's looking good! The kitchen is my favorite-- with it's little chair rail running the distance.

It just seems that the more we do-- the more there is to do.

Anyways-- we just finished the closets in the back bedroom. I gave my husband the choice of just gluing the doors in place or actually making them work. As I gave him this choice, I mentioned that our daughter would prefer that they work, but I was READY AND WILLING to just glue them in place. "Oh," he said," She'd like them working."

So he painsakingly put little hinges on each closet door and then I glued them in place. (We hinged them to the trim, then glued). Unfortunately, I had forgotten that the doorknobs needed to be drilled and not just glued. I discovered this oversight after gluing in the doors. I could easily drill the one door, but the other was impossible.... my husband finally managed by hand to get the hole in the other door.

Anyway, the closets look great and I'm ashamed that I was willing to glue them shut. Thank goodness my husband saw otherwise... the closets are wonderful.... and my daugher is delighted. And the doorknobs are those little crystal types-- sooo cute!

It seems that every step is either a delight... or a dilemma waiting to be reckoned with!

Have fun!

Your Garfield sounds wonderful! Will we see pictures? I've read there's lots more decorating before buildng on the Garfield...is it tough?

Unless I find an Emerson Row or maybe a Willowcrest, I'd love to build the Garfield next....pretty big one, though, huh?

Goodluck :no:

Your Garfield sounds lovely! We want pics, though! :no:

Yes, there are all sorts of areas of the Garfield that need attention BEFORE the walls go together! She was my first build, and sometimes I'm tempted to start over with a new one, and "do it right" this time! :no: But mine turned out OK, I think. TabbyGrey likes it, anyway! :no:

Looks great Debra. I have to say you did a better job on your stairs than I did. We got sort of messy with ours.

That was one of the first things to do on the instructions after the foundation and I hadn't learned some of the things I have learned since.

Where did you get the hinges for the doors?
Tina, I use chamois trips to hinge my doors so they work. I cut three strips 1/2" X 1/4" and glue half of the long side of each evenly spaced along the edge of the half of the door I want to hang it from and then glue the other half of the door over it, like a sandwich. I repeat the process with the other half of the hinges and the door frame; if I want the door to open in (like my house) I glue the hinges between the interior wall and the interior trim; if I want it to open out (like the pub, a public building) I glue them between the exterior wall & exterior trim.

In her Coventry Cottage blog Peggi describes using pins for a pivot-hinge.

If you really must use the little brass hinges and have found a successful way of getting them to stay on with glue alone (the heads on the brads bind the hinge and are higher than the hinges are deep when folded) you go, girl! You'll be more fortunate than I... You can get them from HBS, http://www.miniatures.com .

Hello--

We got the hinges at a dollhouse shop... they had several different types to choose from, along with the doorknobs. They were inexpensive-- less than $3.00 to do four doors, depending on the type.

We have spent considerable time this week working on the house. Most of the clapboard is up (three coast of paint-- but easier than I expected after the wallpaper) and we're working on staining, painting, measuring inside trim-- floor skirts and ceiling moulding-- and fixing stray wallpaper.

I was inspired by another idea from this forum and we bought some sheet copper and installed on kitchen bay roof. So far, so good-- the shopkeeper also showed me a house were they took the sheet copper and lined just the edges of the roofing... then installed the shingles over, flush to the end. Just the band showed around the bottom edges-- so much nicer than raw painted wood. It was fabulous and I plan on doing the same. Once we try it, I'll send pics.

Question... we purchased the working windows and with the clapboard they don't emerge through the window openings as much as I'd like. They look ok, but maybe not as great as the original windows. Any suggestions?

Also-- house is completely electrified, with only the porch (carriage) light waiting. I'd also like to thank whoever posted the idea of ceiling mouldings.... we found one and installed over the dining room chandelier.... looks fabulous!

Thanks everyone for your support and ideas.... especially helpful to us innocents (ignorants?)who tackled a project like Garfield first-- I do have to say, it is one BIG house!

--debragarfield.

Ok... I forgot two things I wanted to share... first, Tina, the hinges are from Housework's-- I don't know a website, but their e-mail is sales@houseworksltd.com

Also, when my daughter busted my bubble and decided she did not want the pink and white gingerbread house I was envisioning-- and had long hoped for-- but a replica of a real 1860's home... we went on the internet and wound up visiting the website of President Garfield. Many of you may have done this, but it is obvious that the Garfield house was inspired from this President's house, which is located not too far from our home, in Mentor, Ohio. The dollhouse has much more whimsy-- and gingerbread-- as it should, but it is still neat to take the vitual tour of the real live house that gave this dollhouse it's name-- and you may get some inspiration yourself.

Take a look at

www.nps.gov/jaga

I've promised my daughter a trip to Mentor AFTER her house is completed!

--debra :lol:

Is it still dark green with the light colored trim? When we lived in Coshocton we took a day-trip and wound up seeing Garfield's home. What an inspiration to bash the Garfileld kit to look more like the actual house!

FYI, Houseworks is owned by HBS.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

I am brand spankin new at this but very excited to get going. I love your wall paper selection especially the dark red/maroon ! Very elegant!

I have 4 daughters and this is our summer project together.

Right now I too have a bit of a problem. I read another post about someone who was having a hard time with the kitchen steps. I read the explanations given to her and even saw a picture of how the steps will look once assembled, but I still cant figure out what to do with these darn "square steps" that I am supposed to glue down first. It is step 2 in the instructions and I am already stumped. I feel like a real idiot! Since you are much further along, perhaps you might have recall of this step and some words of wisdom for me...or perhaps one of you other experienced Garfielders might be able to explain this to me in "simple minded " terms.

Help!

Libby

Welcome to the forum, Libby. I'm not one of the Garfield builders, one of whom will be along in a bit to help you out, but I would like to invite you to the newcomers' subforum to introduce yourself to everybody.